These Big Bike noisy Posers

pixelaoffy

55 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

I didn't really have much of a take on this, one way or the other but whatever my original thoughts on Harley's might have been this thread has very firmly driven me into the pro Harley camp.

So many hackneyed clichés -  "penis substitute - can only get sex from prostitutes -  not genuine bikers - poor bike handling skills - gay (???<deleted>?) - wearing silly outfits - small dicks - the old trying to look young -   attention seeking masturbators."

Perhaps, some Harley owners do incorporate some of these traits but it's a fair bet the vast majority don't.  

Agree.  But doesn't take away from the fact they're noisy selfish polluting ****holes

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:51 PM, ThailandRyan said:

And they don't? Well we'll another Harley hater. You must not be an Easy Rider fan either...

I don't hate Harleys, and even used to ride them when I was in my 20's, but the exhaust noise is an assault to my personal space, often providing a shocked reaction if they come up on you fast at full throttle. It's dangerous too as it takes one's attention off the road while one is recovering from the annoyance and aggravation that the noise "surprise" causes.

There's no doubt that riders are attention seekers, screaming "hey, look at my cool bike - I'm so cool" to anyone within a 200m radius. I don't believe there is one mature adult who rides one. I really appreciate quiet engines, and at the first sign of an exhaust leak of my motorcycles exhaust, I get it repaired or replaced.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Excessive noise anywhere is a problem... But so is Grumpy Old Man Syndrome... 

In between there is a whole spectrum of acceptability for those not looking to find offence and upset at every step. 

Harleys are loud - but not offensively so IMO... the pimped up screaming crotch rockets are far more annoying IMP.

In my Moo-bean a guy has a Triumph Bonnie Bobber....  Sounds lovely, he doesn’t rag it through the moo-baan, he rides respectfully but you can hear it... its no louder than some of the knackered ‘grab bikes’ riding in and out all day.... I’m sure IF the Triumph rider twisted his wrist we’d know about it, but there is no need for that. 

Loud exhausts...  the few giving many a negative name and tarred with the same brush by Grumpy Old Men who want to moan...  and then go rattling about penis extensions, look-at-me narcissism etc...  these guys are just miserable fools looking for a whinge.. if it wasn’t a loud exhaust it would be something else. 

That said: For those with a loud exhaust, riding through residential neighbourhoods respectfully is key...  Perhaps a few to$$ers give everyone a poor reputation in the eyes of those who are not that smart. 

There's a huge difference between a "nakered Grab bike" ridden by someone hard pressed to pay a repair bill, and an immature adult who chooses to pollute the streets with excessive noise. I'm in my 60's now, but I disliked the excessive noise since my 30's, long before I entered the realm of curmudgeons. For example, I used to live in a townhouse next to a condo building. Whenever a Harley owner fired up his machine in the condo carpark, the whole neighbourhood shook, before he opened up the throttle. If you were on the phone at the time, even living next door, you would not be able to continue your discussion.

Let's not confuse immature old men on Harleys with young immature Thais who removed their exhaust baffles to sound cool. Yes, Harleys are not the only loud motorcycles on the planet, but they are generally the loudest stock motorcycles. They have a very deep penetrating tone that can be heard over long distances.

9 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

There's a huge difference between a "nakered Grab bike" ridden by someone hard pressed to pay a repair bill, and an immature adult who chooses to pollute the streets with excessive noise. I'm in my 60's now, but I disliked the excessive noise since my 30's, long before I entered the realm of curmudgeons. For example, I used to live in a townhouse next to a condo building. Whenever a Harley owner fired up his machine in the condo carpark, the whole neighbourhood shook, before he opened up the throttle. If you were on the phone at the time, even living next door, you would not be able to continue your discussion.

Let's not confuse immature old men on Harleys with young immature Thais who removed their exhaust baffles to sound cool. Yes, Harleys are not the only loud motorcycles on the planet, but they are generally the loudest stock motorcycles. They have a very deep penetrating tone that can be heard over long distances.

You sound like a drama queen...  

Your key words... 

- assault to my personal space

- chooses to pollute the streets 

- excessive noise

- immature old men

My Key words...

- Grumpy

- Old

- Man

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I don't hate Harleys, and even used to ride them when I was in my 20's, but the exhaust noise is an assault to my personal space, often providing a shocked reaction if they come up on you fast at full throttle. It's dangerous too as it takes one's attention off the road while one is recovering from the annoyance and aggravation that the noise "surprise" causes.

There's no doubt that riders are attention seekers, screaming "hey, look at my cool bike - I'm so cool" to anyone within a 200m radius. I don't believe there is one mature adult who rides one. I really appreciate quiet engines, and at the first sign of an exhaust leak of my motorcycles exhaust, I get it repaired or replaced.

indeed. and I bet that if you did the same thing to them, ie. something that really annoys them then they'd get quite upset and probably threaten violence. eg kissing another man in their presence or turning up at the biker bar in a frock and heels. or whatever sets those Neanderthals off ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Show me one HD that is suitable for 5 hours drive with average speed of 120 that is not Pan America, I will reconsider my biased judgement of HD. 

Any touring and adventure  japanese and German bike can do that without problem and no problem to go  every day riding for a week or two with few days off. 

If you just want to show off and short day trips, HD is a good choice in comparison.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Maybe if you paid some attention to what's around you by using your rear view/wing mirrors you won't be taken by surprise. Seems you shouldn't be on the roads at all if you're that jumpy.

"I don't like Harleys but. . . . . . . "  ????

Edited by bobandyson
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

5 hours in the saddle of this is just a warm up.

When I lived in Canada before coming to Thailand I toured North American in one like this.

Edmonton to the Canadian Maritimes, Florida across to California, San Diego up to Vancouver

Not all in one go, many years of trips.

I hated it in town, get it on the highway and set the cruse control, and.....cruse

Had Japanese bikes, BMW and Harleys. All serve different purposes

Pre-Owned 2016 Harley-Davidson FLHTK Ultra Limited Electra Glide

???? Thought we where talking about Thailand and Thai roads? Not necessary highways but more like Petchabun, Loei, Nan, Chiang rai Golden triangle to Chiang Mai Mae Hong son?

Have to admit that looks like a proper cruiser for Highways, and sure enough comfortable, but still a bit problem to keep up on the average speed in the corners

On 6/4/2022 at 6:18 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You sound like a drama queen...  

Your key words... 

- assault to my personal space

- chooses to pollute the streets 

- excessive noise

- immature old men

My Key words...

- Grumpy

- Old

- Man

100% correct and I will add to that with........

"Who want to moan...  and then go rattling about penis extensions, look-at-me narcissism etc...  these guys are just miserable fools looking for a whinge.. if it wasn’t a loud exhaust it would be something else. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/4/2022 at 5:50 PM, JensenZ said:

I find that certain bikes, people jump on, start them and go......others, HDs et al, for reasons I don't understand, have to be started 20 minutes before the rider starts to kit up.......and then the bike needs revving, on and off, for 5 mins before they set off.......WT* is that all about?

Edited by Will B Good
  • Haha 2

On 6/3/2022 at 4:26 PM, nahkit said:

Yeah, and those guys sitting at home at their keyboards moaning all day about what other people do are really cool aren't they?

...said someone sitting at home on his keyboard moaning about what other people post here!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/3/2022 at 2:24 PM, Antiparovian said:

Totally agree. Attention seeking masturbators. So "manly" as a rule that they need to resort to prostitutes to have a sex life.

Please clarify something, have you, never, been with a girl that needed a tip for her services here?   

On 6/3/2022 at 10:58 PM, Chopinbkk said:

I have a rational bike in the carpark. What on earth does gay or not gay have to do with this discussion?

The noise emitted by any bike is directly proportional to the guy's 'size ....' riding it.
The smaller his 'size', the louder his bike.
Simple enough?

Holy 'uck....    That from a bloke who used "rational" in his first sentence

On 6/4/2022 at 7:03 AM, Gsxrnz said:

I was on a tour with 30 bikers with the Ulysses club for over 40's riders.  Everything from my GSXR1000 to restored RD400's, including a few Harleys.  One morning as we prepared to depart the motel, I casually mentioned that I'd never ridden a Harley.

A kindly Doctor (with a stutter) in his 60's offered me a ride of his Sportster before we left. I think it was  a Sportster - not really up on the models.

Being a sports bike rider, and because it was early morning and a 3km straight stretch of road, I did what comes naturally - full throttle to near the red line, clutchless change, full throttle to near red line, clutchless change, and repeat.

Upon my return to the carpark, I was greeted with howls of laughter.  Apparently, the stuttering Doctor who had never heard his beloved Harley go anywhere near the red line had had a near heart attack and was quoted as saying "J..J..J..jesus w..w..w..w..wept.Th..Th..There w..w..w..w..was n..n..n..no f..f..f..f...arrken n..n..n..need to do that".

Later that day, his Harley stopped functioning and had to be trailered home.:coffee1:

Oh.