These Big Bike noisy Posers

pixelaoffy

Harleys are made to be customized with after-market parts and they can look spectacular. Unfortunately, in Thailand they are mostly left as bog standard.

They are also ideal for US roads, but I can't think of a place less suited for them than Thailand.

Some people classify them as agricultural equipment, which I find hilarious.

16 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
16 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's a Harley, and their sound is unique.

Agree, very nice sound but most Harleys I hear these days have a leaking exhaust manifold or manifold gasket

Harley-Davidson great sound, probably the only thing they have going for them because they don't handle and low performance. 

Anyway, what is annoying are those very loud 110cc Honda waves and similar, they sound like an old lawnmower, bloody horrible sound. 

And any small twin cylinder (500cc and below), awful sound. 

Any 4 cylinder, no matter the size can sound really nice with the right exhaust. 

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Harley-Davidson great sound, probably the only thing they have going for them because they don't handle and low performance. 

Anyway, what is annoying are those very loud 110cc Honda waves and similar, they sound like an old lawnmower, bloody horrible sound. 

And any small twin cylinder (500cc and below), awful sound. 

Any 4 cylinder, no matter the size can sound really nice with the right exhaust. 

I've never owned a Harley, I opted for Triumph Bonneville 1200cc. I bought a used one 3 yrs old for almost 1/2 price of new one. The Harley's keep their price and I wasn't willing to pay 7-800,000 for a new one.

Folks don't buy Harleys because they honestly believe they are superior anything except looks and sound. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've never owned a Harley, I opted for Triumph Bonneville 1200cc. I bought a used one 3 yrs old for almost 1/2 price of new one. The Harley's keep their price and I wasn't willing to pay 7-800,000 for a new one.

Folks don't buy Harleys because they honestly believe they are superior anything except looks and sound. 

Love the Triumphs 

Got a couple of mates, T100 and T120, the 120 has the sports mufflers, sounds great. 

9 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

Cant remember seeing a 747 on Theppraya road recently , You say what point is ?Jeez

Unreal, what an idiotic childish response.

I suppose you have never seen or heard one flying past overhead while you are in Thailand. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Henryford said:

It probably makes them feel like "big" men.

Nothing wrong with owning a big scooter.  I just can't justify the silly expense of one, and have no use for one.  If I have a scooter that will do 200 kph, I'll probably end up doing that occasionally, and not a good idea here.  

One reason I refrained from getting something smaller, like a 750cc.  I'll stick with the 3000w e-scooter, and had 125cc in the past.  Keeps me from committing suicide, as neither reach or go much faster than 100 kph.  

You can't fix stupid, but I can avoid it ... ????

Edited by KhunLA

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

It probably makes them feel like "big" men.

Same used to be used as to why men buy big cars in my home country in order to compensate for having a smaller than average  piece of anatomy. Same here as to why many Thai men, and some  foreigners, buy big pick-ups so finally being able to purchase a big bike and having it between their legs as some sort of compensation that they can display.

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's comical how some who can't afford luxuries bring anatomy into the picture.

Its farcical also how some people on here suffering perhaps from the same deficiency, and knowing nothing about the financial circumstances of any posters use it as defence for their own short comings ????

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Dolmance said:

I've never been on a Harley, but experiencing a hair raising commute on a tiny little motor scooter for over an hour each way to the University in Chiang Mai for several months, and nearly crashing more than a few times, I would have done anything for a big fat motorcycle, no matter how loud it was.  I can´t believe I actually survived that commute without having a serious accident and waking up in an emergency room.

I have been driving a "tiny little motor scooter" ( Yamaha TTX ) for about ten years now, accident free.

8 years in Chiang Mai, 2 years in Chiang Rai.

I attribute my success to three factors - speed, duration, and threat awareness. I rarely travel above 40 km/hr, my longest trip is 15 minutes, and I am constantly checking for idiots behind and in front of me.

Big fat motorcycles are meant for the open road, not city conditions. They are HEAVY, I doubt I would have the strength to control one in most circumstances.

I would suggest you are blaming the scooter for situations that may have had something to do with your driving practices. Certainly, you are asking a lot of your attention span to be driving for an hour on any two-wheeled vehicle, big or small.

Horses for courses, my scooter is for shopping. Trips more than 20 km, I take the car.

8 minutes ago, Excel said:

Its farcical also how some people on here suffering perhaps from the same deficiency, and knowing nothing about the financial circumstances of any posters use it as defence for their own short comings ????

Well if the reason isn't money, must be balls.

4 minutes ago, Excel said:

And I would suspect blue ones given the probability of their lack of appeal to the opposite sex. ????

I take it you don't live near Pattaya where lack of appeal=cheap or broke.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Later that day, his Harley stopped functioning and had to be trailered home.:coffee1:

Not a big bike rider myself, I can remember talking with a guy who was, liked competing in hill climbs. When we got around to the topic of Harleys, he snorted " Weak bottom end, a train can go faster."

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I also dislike Harleys for many reasons, no.1 is people think they look cool

Yeah, you can get so much more bike for the price by buying other big bike brands.  1/3 of a Harley's price is "status."  Personally, I'd rather purchase functionality.

54 minutes ago, Wagga said:

Unreal, what an idiotic childish response.

I suppose you have never seen or heard one flying past overhead while you are in Thailand. 

At 30,000feet ? Talking about roadside and decibel level..jeez there's some ****on here 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, connda said:

Yeah, you can get so much more bike for the price by buying other big bike brands.  1/3 of a Harley's price is "status."  Personally, I'd rather purchase functionality.

Larger, full dressed bikes are practical for long cruises, and that's about it in my opinion.   Actually my Honda 900cc (USA)was more than enough, though surely a passenger would appreciate a back & arm rests.

I suspect those plowing up and down beach rd & soi 6 in Patts aren't cruising up to Doi Inthanon or down to Patong on them.  If leaving Chonburi at all.

Most I see on the highways, on obviously long trips, are Thais, whether 1, a couple, or 10.  We get some regular visitor here surfside, and 99% are Thai.  Actually alway pop into a friend of our's GH, and sit surfside sipping & chatting all night.

Edited by KhunLA

Speaking of Big Bikes.  My wife told be about a 20 something year old in the next village over who bought a "Big Bike."  The kid ran into a parked car within a week of buying the bike.  I'm familiar with the corner of the highway where he crashed.  There is a large village convenience store and a lot of pedestrians and road congestion due to a school and a park being located at that same location.  I guess he didn't make the corner and when he hit the parked car, he literally lost his head.

Let me make a guess, but I'd bet he didn't have one of those new Big Bike licenses.  Really - not that it would matter.  What I liked about the V-Star I had back in America was that it was comfortable to ride and tour and it could hold its own on the freeways at 70+ mph.  But honestly, I've been riding a motorcycle my Honda 150 plus a few ventures on rented 'big bikes' in Thailand since 2007 and I'm never comfortable as the roads look like a Virtual Reality version of Mario Brothers oft times.  Plus, my V-Star here would have cost me twice the price of the one I bought in the US.  My big bike adventures ended after moving to Thailand.  Imho, it's not fun to drive here.  And to be honest, most Thais don't have the skill sets to drive one.  RIP to the kid in the next village.  Glad he didn't kill anyone else.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, newnative said:

I don't care if they're Harley's or whatever.  As another poster mentioned, some of the noisiest can be smaller ones.  It's a bad problem in Bangkok, too.  No reason for a bike to be that noisy other than to say, "Look at me, look at me!!!  Look at me being a big annoyance!!!"

Isn't that the truth .  Screaming 125cc Honda Waves.  How many people say ' Wow that is cool ' , compared to ' Why can't he fall of the damn thing and give us some peace '.

• Like 1