Where does Thailand get its oil, gasoline, diesel and cooking gas ?

konaboy

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Where goes Thailand get its oil, gasoline, diesel and cooking gas ?"

Oil is imported from US, Saudi, UAE, Nigeria, Angola.

Wrong....Russia supplies Thailand with the majority of it,s oil.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

This is completely unrelated sorry, but I've always wondered how Thailand generates its electricity. There is no nuclear I'm pretty sure of that, but I've not been able to find out much information on it.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Again wrong. Here is the data for 2019-2020. Russian is picking up and I beleive picked up during their low price sale after Ukraine war. But still not in no 1 position. 

Thailand imports Crude Petroleum primarily from: United Arab Emirates ($3.84B), Saudi Arabia ($2.65B), United States ($1.37B), Angola ($1.09B), and Nigeria ($984M). The fastest growing import markets in Crude Petroleum for Thailand between 2019 and 2020 were Russia ($756M), Nigeria ($683M), and Angola ($557M).

I am not questioning, however, like Peter's statement,  a citation of a creditable source would be appreciated in gaining knowledge rather than opinion.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

This is completely unrelated sorry, but I've always wondered how Thailand generates its electricity. There is no nuclear I'm pretty sure of that, but I've not been able to find out much information on it.

Hydro, Australian coal  i.a.  as "raw stock"

imported ready- made energies from Laos, Chinese grids i.a.

Edited by thurien
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, petermik said:

Around 8 years ago I had a chat with an ex girlfriends brother who holds/held a senior position at Laem Chebang port in Chonburi and he told me that Thailand had shifted much of their dependency on Arab oil in favour of Russian....big concessions were given to Russian Tourists and Airline landing fees as part of the agreement and as far as I am aware nothing has changed.....hence Thailands unwillingnes to openly criticize Russias involvement in Ukraine...

I'd love to know what big concessions were given to Russian tourists as part of the agreement.

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I am not questioning, however, like Peter's statement,  a citation of a creditable source would be appreciated in gaining knowledge rather than opinion.

You could always read my comments 4 or 5 posts above yours if you want creditable sources or you could do, as I did, and search the internet yourself.

• Like 1

Thailand is a very minor playing in World oil trading, where the price is fixed.  Local Thai production is negligible compared to imports, so Thailand will always pay something near the 'free market' price.

So what does Thailand have?  Some oil and gas in Gulf of Thailand, more gas than oil, and some, very little oil onshore near Chiang Mai.  Possibly coal (dirty lignite) as well.

Electricity is generated by (dirty) coal fired power stations and some gas powered one.

The potential for electricity from water power is blighted by the environmental damage caused by damning the Mekong and other rivers, either by Thailand or neighbours.

Neighbours Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia have surplus oil and gas, but will they share on favourable terms?

How much environmental damage will the Thai-Myanmar Gas pipeline do?

• Like 1

Current price of oil:
WTI Crude = $118.87

Brent Crude = $119.72

UAE Das = $114.71

Russia ESPO = $80.60 

Russia Sokol = $102.84

[Source: oilprice.com]

So I presume they would buy more oil from Russia but keep it quiet from the USA so as not to offend them.

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

You could always read my comments 4 or 5 posts above yours if you want creditable sources or you could do, as I did, and search the internet yourself.

Thanks, perhaps a matter of timing. I did get to read the followup source postings.

• Like 1

Thanks for that info. So quite reliant on Gas, plus some coal and some imported energy.  Hydro makes sense where it is possible. With the millions of air-conditioning units running the country's power requirements must be large. 

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1