Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

8 hours ago, cnx101 said:

No

With respect in Cambodia "yes". For example the entry fees for Angor Wat Complex 2022 (Google):

Foreign tourists/visitors (the second higher fee is for online booking) 

1 Day Angkor Pass 1 day 2 days 37 USD 59.89 USD
3 Day Angkor Pass 3 days 5 days 62 USD 91.35 USD
7 Day Angkor Pass 7 days 10 days 72 USD 103.85 USD

Children under 12 years old enter Angkor for free. (must show passport to verify age)

The prices apply only to foreign visitors.  For Cambodians, a visit to the Angkor temples is still free.

For a ride on the Angkor Eye Ferris Wheel in Siem Reap 2022:

Angkor Eye Pricing Adult/ Child Over 12 Years Child Under 12 Years
Foreigner USD12 USD6
Local USD5 USD2.50

Angkor Eye: Soaring Serenity Above Siem Reap | Siemreap.net

9 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I think kids should get in cheaper but adult tourists  should pay  more. We get so much stuff for free it's a small price  to pay. Now way should a poor Thai  family pay the same as rich foreigners.

Nothing to stop you voluntarily paying more than owed. Maybe they could give such people a free t-shirt with a slogan on it saying "I overpayed. I'm virtuous" or similar so you get the respect due from poorer visitors. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mangkhut said:

So we actually paid 10 times more than a thai national…???? Not twice as much

Does your gf need to show her ID card to prove she's Thai national to the ticket seller?

10 hours ago, ChissBurger said:

Is this as commonplace in Vietnam and Cambodia?

I asked for seniors discount on a trip by ferry in Vietnam, as on price list, showed id no problem, must becommunist policy's..... 

I never get overcharged at National Parks because until they stop the rip offs I won’t go. Some years ago at a travel fair I was looking at dinner cruises in BKK, the person at the booth was keen to sell me tickets at the normal whilst advertising 50% off.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How about poor foreigners with a Thai family?

I just paid 7kbht for the school uniforms of a village kid I just took in.

That's nice thing to do.

Just unblocked you for that. 

Happy Mondays. :cheesy:

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

For all you know, those people are in debt up to their eyeballs. You think they would admit it to you?

I don't get envious about what other people have. I'm not interested in impressing friends and neighbors with my possessions.

OTOH, the last time I was in debt was 1974, and I guess I can call up more cash at short notice than most.

Actually I think the whole neighborhood is old money, no yuppies, x, y, or z genners here.

Big cash fan myself.  Can remember last time any payment of mine involved interest on a principle.  Maybe 1985, on 3rd property and free & clear before 1990.  Tenants paid that anyway.  

People should only pay interest on  mortgage, as probably their only purchase that will appreciate.  And pay that down with every extra baht they have.  Anything else buying, cash, or you can't afford it, and shouldn't be buying it.

• Like 1

It just proves another time how racist this culture is.

Also....

They did not use the time out during the pandemic to reconsider this bad habbit.

My conclusion is, Thailand is not read to welcome new tourists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

Simple fix. If your a foreigner stop visiting dual price venues. When revenue drops the greedy venues will drop there prices.

Its not that simple.  As a 'local' to Khao Yai National Park, I rarely visit because of the dual pricing rip off and most of the local expats feel the same.  Many tourists are not aware of the entry fee before they visit or that the price is 10 times what Thai nationals pay (40 baht v 400 baht).  Having travelled a long way to get to the park, they are often disgusted at the entry fee but pay it anyway. I have though, seen one car full of tourists refuse to pay and turn around at the gate.

When my daughter and her family visited a few years back, she wouldn't go because of the total price for her family - 2 adults and 3 kids = 1400 baht. However, that was because I told her what the fee was beforehand.

Khao Yai park is massive and it would take many days to see it all, I'd love to spend a week or so there but there's absolutely no way I'm doing that. As a Brit, I had no idea that foreigners were charged more when I first visited the area - I wasn't expecting it. National Parks in the UK are free for everyone.

So on the one hand, they do lose out with local expats but less so with tourists - I very much doubt many are going to travel all the way from say, Bangkok and refuse to enter.  We know about dual pricing because of our connections to Thailand but how many tourists are going to check the entry fee for a national park before visiting?

Edited by KhaoYai

Simple fix. If your a foreigner stop visiting dual price venues. When revenue drops the greedy venues will drop there prices.

They've already stopped - that's the problem.

As dual pricing has been in force for decades, te idea of "stopping" is likely to have little or no effect.

Any change can only become apparent when prices are equalised - only them=n will we see an increase in foreign visitors.

For the last 30 years, this dual pricing system, far from increasing revenue,  has only had the effect of making foreigners feel unwelcome.

Edited by Thunglom

11 minutes ago, SuwadeeS said:

They did not use the time out during the pandemic to reconsider this bad habbit.

They were supposed to be doing exactly that - this appears to be in response to the proposal to scrap dual pricing by the TAT. Sadly ignored as usual when it comes to money.

Edited by KhaoYai

4 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

This is another reason for all expats and foreigners in Thailand to leave and all tourists not to go to Thailand.

Let's do this together and make Thailand worse than it was during lock down period.

We foreigners need to stay together against racist and xenophobic Thailand.

There is a lot of examples racism on this site but dual pricing isn't one of them. The pricing is based on the assumption that foreigners are richer than Thai visitors and the extra money raised will contribute to the maintenance of the parks. This is patently not true - but it isn't racism.

In fact it is those who claim it to be racist who are the racists. White rcisits love to claim that other ethnicities are "racist against them". Racists see racism everywhere in other ethnicities and then deny their own actions are racist - coincidence??

Edited by Thunglom
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, KhaoYai said:

They were supposed to be doing exactly that - there was a proposal to scrap dual pricing, by the TAT I believe.

Been talking about scrapping them for 20 yrs, and yet, they've done nothing but double them ????

OH ... you meant scrapping the current price, and instituting new, higher prices ????

thcurrent pricing for foreigners for a caping trip to a national park can actually work out MORE than staying in a 3 or 4 star resort.. It's no wonder that only the very keen bother to visit.

There is no benefit to income as some have suggested.

There will be no drop in income as the dual pricing fails to make any significant impact on that.

Edited by Thunglom

5 hours ago, inThailand said:

Typical and the new typical here.

The economy is reeling, they need to make up for lost revenue, so they raise prices. The new typical is raise it more for falangs. Welcome to LOS! 

They try to rip us off whenever they can. But if they can't, they call us 'cheap'. As long as this goes on, for me only Bangkok and the occasional trip to the beach. - No national parks, temples, monuments, etc. Their loss, as, instead of a moderate fee, they get zilch...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

EXPATS - as a n expat I used to frequently talk my way into national parks at "local" rate but this has since been clamped down on y the higher echelons.

the. thing is although passes for expats would be very nice, they don't actually address the problem.

Single pricing would open up a Thai natural resource for TOURISM - and that would have an impact on income.

It is of course, a double edged source as Thailand would then have to pull their finger out and start managing the parks in such a way that they can cope with higher visitor numbers (v Australia).

The parks could be an important part of the tourist industry so long as te authorities don't "shoot" in their own nest, as they tend to do with most natural resources.

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

"He said the agency wants to introduce an identity card for expats, helping to distinguish them from tourists so they will be charged the same price as locals"

Don't overcomplicate it, just ask for passport if they must

Most of us have either a work permit or Thai driver's license.

42 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Anything else buying, cash, or you can't afford it, and shouldn't be buying it.

Exactly, a person after my own heart.

I think the most valuable life lesson my father ever gave me was to avoid debt like the plague. As he worked in a bank, he knew what debt could do.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Doesn't a Pink ID card do the same thing, I mean it used to work until just recently.  The signage pointed to by the kiosk folks at Erawan went into effect last year.  I should have taken a photo of it, but it didn't matter I paid the price and we spent the day hiking to the 7 falls. Just imagine if Temples charged a foreign entry price    

The 7 stage falls at Erawan are worth the extra money I have to admit, it’s a great hike and swimming with the fish is very relaxing.

The Sai Yok falls about 50 km from there are wonderful also , next to the road so no hiking and free entry also !!

Here’s me getting a free water massage :

3D83277B-280E-4239-8348-924F8520BD4A.jpeg.f3040fd24805e06de35fb97de67eeed5.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

No it's not.  Non resident pricing for Disneyland and some places like it have always been done as locals go more often, but you do not pay more to go to a museum or national park....nice try.

'Non resident pricing for Disneyland and some places like it have always been done as locals go more often'

Haha what a totally conflicting view, its ok if its 'Non resident pricing', but higher prices for people that dont even live in the Country is totally wrong huh!? Bizarre view on things you have there!

6 minutes ago, ed strong said:

'Non resident pricing for Disneyland and some places like it have always been done as locals go more often'

Haha what a totally conflicting view, its ok if its 'Non resident pricing', but higher prices for people that dont even live in the Country is totally wrong huh!? Bizarre view on things you have there!

It's not a view it's the reality and how Orange County allowed them certain concessions. The truth if the matter is it happens in very few places in the US, where here its an everyday occurrence whether buying food off of a cart or travelling to a park or other venue.  Tell me I am wrong....gotta just love your take on a post that was a post to another poster regarding the difference mentioned from another post....

Edited by ThailandRyan

34 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

EXPATS - as a n expat I used to frequently talk my way into national parks at "local" rate but this has since been clamped down on y the higher echelons.

the. thing is although passes for expats would be very nice, they don't actually address the problem.

Single pricing would open up a Thai natural resource for TOURISM - and that would have an impact on income.

It is of course, a double edged source as Thailand would then have to pull their finger out and start managing the parks in such a way that they can cope with higher visitor numbers (v Australia).

The parks could be an important part of the tourist industry so long as te authorities don't "shoot" in their own nest, as they tend to do with most natural resources.

Apart from a few folk on here that live in Thailand and have thai wives / gf no one else cares or could care a less about 'dual pricing' Its cheap anyway so just pay and get on with it.

Ive been Thailand many many times with many different people and no ones ever moaned about 'dual 'pricing' If you go somewhere with a Thai and its cheaper just think of if it as you getting an overall discount on the bill. If you'll started whinging like you do on here, no one would want to go with you anyway so the bill will be even cheaper! Joke.

• Like 2