Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

"He said the agency wants to introduce an identity card for expats, helping to distinguish them from tourists so they will be charged the same price as locals"

Don't overcomplicate it, just ask for passport if they must

they already have, the pink card, and there's the driving licence.

I have  always insisted, and mostly got, Thai price with the pink card. If not, walk away.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the agency wants to introduce an identity card for expats, helping to distinguish them from tourists so they will be charged the same price as locals.

Why not just accept any Thai-issued ID (pink card, DL, work permit, student ID) for that purpose instead of making up yet another one?

Those have been accepted inconsistently anyway, varying from place to place and mood of the official on the day. Just make it official policy.

• Like 1

I don't worry about it. If they want to charge me 100 baht where a Thai is charged 20 baht, it's no big deal to me.

OTOH, if they are charging 400 baht, that's pure greed, and I won't accept it. I can get two one-hour massages for the same money.

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not a fan of dual pricing, but nobody is forcing anyone to come to Thailand, or enter or use any services when here.  Accept or avoid UP2U

Life is full of choices.  

Just like the gum then, take it or leave it right?

image.png.cbab488d310aa5c5ff03b9a87b14c9bc.png

If you happen to have Thai citizenship, even though you previously had citizenship from a western country and perhaps still do, and look very much like a western tourist make sure you carry your Thai ID with you so you can get in on the Thai price. Otherwise you will be paying the "farang" price.

8 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

When was the last time you went to a concert, a pro sporting event, or a large amusement park?

Last paid concert was 1D (that's embarrassing), and also EC in Thailand, and we paid the same price as Thais.   And both were the most expensive concerts I ever attended. ????

HH Jazz festivals, used to be free, again, same as Thai price ????

Sporting event ... to watch a bunch of overpaid cry babies kneel ... that would never happen.

Amusement Park - Disney 35 ish yrs ago, fairly expensive (not like today), but we all paid same price.

Dream World (TH) - slight farang premium, but not 10-20X Thai price, and nobody forced me to enter.

Never been forced to pay more than any local for any mandatory services.

"He said the agency wants to introduce an identity card for expats, helping to distinguish them from tourists so they will be charged the same price as locals"

there already is an identity card ,its the pink card ,i have one ,always charged Thai price.

14 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

That is not a tourist price... A monthly/yearly pass means that you are living in the country and are frequently visiting the park... same happens in a museum too.... What Thailand is doing is for just 1 visit charge different prices...You can't buy a subscription for frequent visiting...

Yeh I KNOW. I visit pass in OZ is $8-$12 as i said in my post.

I always liked the food menu sometimes they are identical apart from ones in English and costs more.

I always let my wife order.

I used to go to the zoo in Bangkok and that was dual price so i used to let my wife buy 2 thai tickets while i parked the car.

I would avoid dual pricing or farang price entry.went to cnx zoo when i could get in as a local price.now not available.One day they may realise this  that tourist are not stupid and will see  for themselves  why they avoid places like that

• Like 1

How does that determine your a resident, you want them to ask become experts on every extension and under consideration stamp. Plus being forced to carry my passport everywhere ??  No thanks. 

Pink ID is ideal. Shows a level of commitment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

No it's not.  Non resident pricing for Disneyland and some places like it have always been done as locals go more often, but you do not pay more to go to a museum or national park....nice try.

True!  People who say this is ignorant to the truth, majority of the time the fact is the County for which a place like Disneyland for example Orange County supervisors have voted in or a ballot measure was put in place some incentive to help the success of Disneyland.  In return those who reside in the county benefits with a discount there is NO DUE PRICING!

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's nothing to do with the money. It's everything to do with principle. Something you clearly don't understand. As I said before, in your own country you'll pay the same for a haircut as everyone else.

As an aside, my hair is cut here by a sister-in-law, who has such a business. As family she didn't want to charge me but I insisted she does. I suppose if I was named Charlie I could have taken her up on her kind offer, but I'm not and didn't.

I learned a long time ago when I first came here that principals, something that I grew up with, just for your information, don't gel here, so rather than beat myself up about it, as I used to when a situation arise (often), I realised that I had a choice, i.e. drop the ball and walk away from it, e.g. refused to play that game, or catch the ball and complain because they threw it too hard.

I have learned to duck and weave, and don't look at all Thai's as trying to rip me off, but I know they will have a go, e.g. walk into price car tyres, I was quoted 6,500 baht, next day wife walks into price same car tyres, wife comes home with 4 new car tyres fitted price was 4,800 baht, now I could get upset and spit the dummy, but when I accept the fact and learn how to play the game, I don't get upset anymore, I expect and accept the culture as it is warts and all, but that doesn't stop some trying to rip me off, it is what it is, accept it, be aware of it, duck and weave and you will survive without being upset every time, this works for me, maybe not for you, that said, I am certainly not a Thai empathizer or a Thai basher, just a realist moving along. 

I hope you give your sister-in-law 100 baht for the haircuts ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I always o on the Trips the Family organise to these places, and I always stay outside the entrance having found a nice place to sit with a cold Beer until they return.

On another tack, its just not the National Parks that are charging over the top for foreigners.

The Aquarium at Bang Saen is also playing the game, whereas the Rayong Aquarium is much better, and Foreigners pay exactly the same as Thais.

Check out the venue you intend to visit online before committing to go is my advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jingjai9 said:

For me the biggest insult is not the extra money, but the fact that Thailand is ignoring the contributions working expats make to Thai society. This, along with other restrictions lessens the incentive for talented foreigners to come and stay in Thailand long term. 

Even if a working foreigner can pay the extra money, it  alienates a person living here long term.

I find it weird that they choose to insult me for such tiny sums. I was charged 20 baht extra at a street food cart because I am not Thai. Obviously I never bought any more food from that seller. 

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

No it's not.  Non resident pricing for Disneyland and some places like it have always been done as locals go more often, but you do not pay more to go to a museum or national park....nice try.

Well, Hmmm. 

If you're talking resident/non-resident or citizen/non-citizen, I guess that's true. 

But "senior discounts" are a dual-pricing scheme.

Supermarkets all seem to have cards, now, that let only the cardholders have the sale prices listed on the shelf. If you are just any-ol'-Joe who walks in off the street, you don't get those prices........... even though they are clearly displayed on the shelf. 

That's a dual-pricing scheme. 

(Personally, I think EVERYONE is a deserving customer, not just those who have their stupid little card! Lol) 

There are LOTS of dual-pricing schemes in America, every one of which is discriminatory to someone. 

No, they are not racially or ethnically based, nor based on tourist/resident/citizen, but they are still equally discriminatory. 

Seriously, how is the 60/59 divide for a "senior discount"............ any different than a citizen/tourist "discount?" 

(The state University and Colleges I've had contact with have all had resident/non-resident pricing, by the way. Haven't lived in California for at least a year to establish "residency?" Pay thousands instead of hundreds for tuition!) 

Dual-pricing schemes abound in America. That they rarely exist for this particular reason .........is beside the point. 

--------------

As for officially sanctioned dual-pricing in Thailand............... some of it is a matter of perspective.

From long years in retailing and wholesaling, I've learned that people always think the lower price is the "right" price. ALWAYS! They never assume the higher price is the "right" price! 

We're seeing the same thing in this thread. 

The descriptions are almost universally, "Tourists are expected to pay 5x MORE"............not......... "Thais are getting an 80% discount!" Because the assumption is ALWAYS that the higher price is the "wrong" price......... and the lower price is the "right" one! 

????????????

I don't like the dual-pricing any more than anyone else. But for me, the question is never, "Am I getting gouged? " or "Is the Thai person getting a discount that's not available to me?"........... (two different ways of saying the same thing!)............ 

The question to me is always....... "Will I pay THIS MUCH for THAT?"

Answer: Sometimes "yes," and sometimes "no! " ????????????  Just like in America! 

But I always remember, just because someone is paying a lower price than me............. that doesn't necessarily mean they are paying the "right" price......... and I am paying the "wrong" one! 

Sometimes the higher price IS "the right price." And sometimes people get a "discount" from that!

Lol

Cheers! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Defending people who rip you off is a sign of a lack of self respect IMO.

Like I said before, I am not an apologist, it is what it is, their country, and of course corruption goes all the way to the top, expect change, then expect to be disappointed.

It is what it is, as I said, you either accept it or you beat yourself up about it, the world is not perfect and Thailand falls in that category, especially when it comes to governments cleaning it up, all the way down to the sleeping cops who aren't interested in anything apart from their tea money.

You or I will never change things here, so as I said, you either accept it or beat yourself up, we all know it's wrong, but what can you do about it, apart from avoid paying dual pricing and being ripped off. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

If we thought of doing this in Australia we would be branded racist and face fines.  No matter where you come from even Thailand you pay the same as locals.

A friend who is a tour guide told me a few years ago he took a bus full of tourist to a hot spring near where I live  and the prices were so high for the tourist, and they would not give 1 baht discount.  So he told the driver to leave and as the bus left the tourist give them a big raspberry. If you want tourist to spend their money you must be fair. Also the hot springs is run by the government.

3 minutes ago, androokery said:

I find it weird that they choose to insult me for such tiny sums. I was charged 20 baht extra at a street food cart because I am not Thai. Obviously I never bought any more food from that seller. 

And a Pharmacy once tried to charge me 174 baht for some Capsules I buy in Pattaya for 60 Baht.

Told them to sit on it and swivel.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You could but then even county parks and so on charge a wide range of fees, based upon location, age, military affiliation and so on.  Buying a yearly pass, if one is goin to be visiting say 4 or 5 times a year does save on entrance fees to many places, Yellowstone is just one of many https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fees.htm.

However, here in Thailand as the OP states Fees are charged to foreigners at a rate 5x more than a Thai now in Hua Hin.  They might actually make money if they sold annual passes to the National parks which would allow entry without a fee to the parks.  If they did this they might actually obtain more money by those people who would then spend at the venues inside the National parks buying souvenirs or even food sold at the dining venues.

I figured I could not go wrong having purchased a lifetime Senior Pass decades ago. I am “Grandfathered” in so the new pricing does not effect me nor my Thai family members. We need not pay any entrance fees throughout the US in Government managed parks or lands.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, androokery said:

That's the one where the parking is reserved for Thai people?

Chedi is a very large temple with parking on all four sides and have never seen any signs or restrictons  regarding parking.
nearby is Wat Pailom which I think is what you refer to?

[I could be wrong]