Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Like I said before, I am not an apologist, it is what it is, their country, and of course corruption goes all the way to the top, expect change, then expect to be disappointed.

It is what it is, as I said, you either accept it or you beat yourself up about it, the world is not perfect and Thailand falls in that category, especially when it comes to governments cleaning it up, all the way down to the sleeping cops who aren't interested in anything apart from their tea money.

You or I will never change things here, so as I said, you either accept it or beat yourself up, we all know it's wrong, but what can you do about it, apart from avoid paying dual pricing and being ripped off. 

You know its wrong, they know it's wrong if we keep hammering them with the truth and walk away from these rip-off places than change might come about.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Like I said before, I am not an apologist, it is what it is, their country, and of course corruption goes all the way to the top, expect change, then expect to be disappointed.

It is what it is, as I said, you either accept it or you beat yourself up about it, the world is not perfect and Thailand falls in that category, especially when it comes to governments cleaning it up, all the way down to the sleeping cops who aren't interested in anything apart from their tea money.

You or I will never change things here, so as I said, you either accept it or beat yourself up, we all know it's wrong, but what can you do about it, apart from avoid paying dual pricing and being ripped off. 

All you can do is boycott places that do it, and very clearly object to it on forums, and social media platforms like FaceBook and Twitter. You know how much Thais hate their bad practices to be publicly exposed for the world to see. Maybe one day they'll be shamed into doing the right thing.

Surely that's got to be better than trying to justify it, or pretending it's OK?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not a fan of dual pricing, but nobody is forcing anyone to come to Thailand, or enter or use any services when here.  Accept or avoid UP2U

Life is full of choices.  

Isn't Koh Samet a well-known fee trap? In that they only inform you of the entrance fee when you get off the ferry? Not before you travel. 

• Like 1

next weekend a group of my family are going to a national park  in phetchabun..ive been before i paid 10 times more than my son i paid 5 times more than my wife and family friends  not just the cost but the principal hate having to pay it but what do i do 

Stay Home...nope ill pay.             racist greed nothing more nothing less..

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

All you can do is boycott places that do it, and very clearly object to it on forums, and social media platforms like FaceBook and Twitter. You know how much Thais hate their bad practices to be publicly exposed for the world to see. Maybe one day they'll be shamed into doing the right thing.

Surely that's got to be better than trying to justify it, or pretending it's OK?

Exactly, where's Russell Crowe when we need him?

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

"He said the agency wants to introduce an identity card for expats, helping to distinguish them from tourists so they will be charged the same price as locals"

Don't overcomplicate it, just ask for passport if they must

They already have an expat ID card which is the pink foreigners card.

Read a story about 1 year ago. A foreign man living in Thailand sued a hospital for dual pricing. He lost. Judge said it was good for the Thai economy. It's one thing to charge more for tourist attractions and another for medical. Seems many people don't mind paying a little higher price. For me price isn't the issue. The problem for me is I like many things and people in Thailand I think they are taking advantage of tourists. I won't be going to many of these places.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, androokery said:

Isn't Koh Samet a well-known fee trap? In that they only inform you of the entrance fee when you get off the ferry? Not before you travel. 

So much for researching a place before visiting.  

Can't fix stupid

Pretty hard to know about Samet, and not know it's a national park.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Many times I have been able to get the Thai price.  Mostly by telling them in Thai that I was Thai or sometimes showing them my drivers license.  But I have not been to any parks in quite a few years now.

Sometimes I tell them my wife is a US citizen but they still give her the Thai price.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good Morning to All ???? 

I say ABSOLUTE RUBBISH THAILAND  !! IT’S CRIMINAL THAILAND !!

I’m an American ???????? when you visit our Nation the same price APPLIES TO EVERYONE !! REGARDLESS OF RACE OR NATIONALITY !! 

I'm from the US and get into the national parks free, yes free.  Is it criminal others have to pay for what I get free?

Edited by bbko

1 minute ago, rwill said:

Many times I have been able to get the Thai price.  Mostly by telling them in Thai that I was Thai or sometimes showing them my drivers license.  But I have not been to any parks in quite a few years now.

Sometimes I tell them my wife is a US citizen but they still give her the Thai price.

tried the pink card thing a few weeks ago at a national park ..no go ..paid 5 times more than my wife           White skin = Money..we are all millionaires eh !!

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So much for researching a place before visiting.  

Can't fix stupid

Pretty hard to know about Samet, and not know it's a national park.

Pretty easy as a tourist to only know that Samet is an island. And have no idea that the entire island is a national park with an entrance fee. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

A bit over the top? Are you menstruating?  ????

Not really.  How do you find out about or research Samet, and not know it's a nat. park.

What site doesn't mention it being a park when saying how wonderful it is.

Who doesn't check, how to get there, and what's the cost, fees are involved.  

If people are that stupid, they really shouldn't be traveling internationally.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

"He said the agency wants to introduce an identity card for expats, helping to distinguish them from tourists so they will be charged the same price as locals"

Don't overcomplicate it, just ask for passport if they must

That's what the pink ID card is for, easy to get and saves you money

7 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

tried the pink card thing a few weeks ago at a national park ..no go ..paid 5 times more than my wife           White skin = Money..we are all millionaires eh !!

So, because your wife is Thai, she got an 80% discount. Seems like something to celebrate, not complain about! 

????????????

Cheers! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

facebook ..twitter.. Sorry mate but the Thais don't give a Fluk what we think about their duel prices to us and thier racist views they are hard skined to this

To them its money and thats all that counts they have no Shame..

I'd respectfully disagree.

1. They hate foreigners looking down on them. They might seem like they don't care, but actually they just don't know. My ex was horrified when I told her about the reputation of Thai women abroad. She thought they were revered.

2. If this starts turning up on potential tourists Facebook/Twitter feed, it WILL cost them money. I'd argue it already is if you look at the state of tourism (obviously Covid is the main cause it's fallen off the cliff, but Thailand's deteriorating reputation for these things won't be helping matters).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

So, because your wife is Thai, she got an 80% discount. Seems like something to celebrate, not complain about! 

????????????

Cheers! 

Yes ... the proper stress free attitude ... ????

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK look, I really do not mind a small price increase for tourists/foreigners, I'd be happy they did it in my own UK to let our own people in slightly cheaper for attractions.

BUT.

FIVE times the price is just ludicrous, No sane tourist seeing this 400% price gouging will enter the park - I certainly wont go. If they added on say 25% taking a ticket to 125 from 100, I'd be ok - but 500 just screams scam.

Wonder what spin the TAT will put on it. Something about just attracting rich Indians pending

Plus, does that money really serve to maintain those parks properly? From what I have read ( I stopped going many years ago) some of those parks look like nobody is taking care. The last time I went, it was in koh Hong in the late 90’s and it was a real garbage dump. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WHansen said:

These days i just don't care about supporting the locals like i once did, and whenever possible choose a 'farang' shop or establishment to spend my money in.

A tad bitter i know, but you just get sick and tired of the constant lying and cheating in the land of scams.

My Thai motor and scooter mechanics keep the car and scooter running like Swiss watches, at low cost. The car is 16 yo, the scooter is 14.

The most I was ever scammed out of was 1000 baht, the first week I was here. Gave it by mistake to a tuk-tuk driver, who took off like a scared rabbit.

I've loaned small amounts to Thais, not expecting to get the money back. Most of the time, it is repaid.

Thais tell you what they think you want to hear. That's not considered as lying by them.

OTOH, I can remember two farangs who individually could have separated me from a lot of my money, if my BS meter had not been set at 10.

Let's face it, there are scammers in every country on the planet. IMO Thais are no better or worse than any other nationality.

• Like 2

Isn't that great ,now we know Where Not to go.

Have been to some places before , Had Lady Digger ask the Prices,

when not the same for Thais and Foreigners we said thank you we changed our mind and left.

One doesn't have to get upset about it it's just that evil thing ,Greed.

• Like 1