"The lights were green" says everyone in 3 vehicle collision - "farang's" pick-up overturns

webfact

11 minutes ago, Excel said:

So you are saying then that even at a low speed , if you are travelling far to close to the vehicle in front or else you are not paying sufficient attention to the road or traffic conditions, you can still put your vehicle on its side ????

Thats pretty much what happened... Wife turned into a narrow soi (tight angle, narrow entrance), 10m into the soi she had to swerve to (to the right) avoid a motorcycle gunning it up the soi towards her... 

...  She clipped a parked taxi, the front right wheel somehow rode up the side of the taxi and tipped the car.

There were tire marks on the front wing of the taxi. 

An impressive achievement, I’m always impressed at how Thai’s can manage to get their vehicle into the strangest of situations / positions in an incident / accident. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

May I suggest you watch 'idiots in cars' on YT, and you'll be surprised how easy some cars tipped over.  Especially larger SUV.  I was quite surprised myself.  Don't know about 10 kph, but way < 50 kph

Don't need to watch that. Idiots in pick-ups flip them in Thailand in vast numbers. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Maybe it's about time all drivers who are involved in accidents should be made to take a polygraph test.

Dashcam!

And the lies will quickly be silenced.

57 minutes ago, Excel said:

So you are saying then that even at a low speed , if you are travelling far to close to the vehicle in front or else you are not paying sufficient attention to the road or traffic conditions, you can still put your vehicle on its side ????

That is not what is being suggested. A higher vehicle such as a pick up or an SUV can easily be tipped over on its side if it is hit from the side. Even if the pick up isn't moving at all. They are far more prone to tipping over in an accident than a regular car due to their higher centre of gravity.

Edited by Moonlover

Just now, Moonlover said:

That is not what is being suggested. A higher vehicle such as a pick up or an SUV can easily be tipped over on its side if it is hit from the side. Even if the pick up isn't moving at all. They are far more prone to tipping over in an accident than regular car due to their higher centre of gravity.

Exactly why they should be confined to the farmyards and not the open road.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

She saw the Toyota either going straight or turning and there was a collision

Just a guess but a turning vehicle in an intersection would allow for several accident scenarios (mainly pointing to the vehicle making a turn as the cause) and could account for both having green lights. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He said he was saved from serious injury by his seatbelt and the two amulets he wore around his neck and hung in the car.

and some here didn't believe the amulet would work...   555

• Haha 1

Most vehicle fatalities happen when a vehicle rolls over and pickups are about three times more likely to roll than a car (due to much higher centre of gravity and higher roll centre) - that's US NHTSA data. Doesn't take much to flip a pickup.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this - 2 days ago in Udon Thani (a different crossroads) also had a light failure - i wondered why the cars in front of me were only moving sometimes, then saw that another direction also had a green light! Did see one red light, didn't check the fourth as i was too busy shooting the gap in front of me , needed all 4 eyes on the road......

On 6/7/2022 at 12:30 PM, Dmaxdan said:

"The lights were green", as in the past tense? Because that would explain a lot...

Maybe it's about time all drivers who are involved in accidents should be made to take a polygraph test. Because clearly many of them are lying through their teeth.

Nope 

As lying is just the norm here in Thailand, so the polygraph would just come up as truth all the time  no matter what was said. 

• Confused 1

On 6/7/2022 at 11:50 AM, Flemo said:

The case is watertight. It's the farangs fault. If he wasn't in Thailand the accident wouldn't have happened

Please stop perpetuating the ridiculous notion that farangs are always considered at fault in traffic accidents. It's simply not true.

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 11:39 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

St Christopher is the patron  saint of travel in the Christian Church. Just because you don't share other people's religious beliefs does not make them 'witchcraft'. That's just a derogatory insult.

Believing in amulets etc. I consider to be a superstition.

Moot point anyway as Buddhism is a philosophy not a religion.