Thirteen students injured on way home from school - janitor in tatty old truck was behind the wheel

webfact

Pretty difficult to have anything else but old decrepit, overloaded transport when your dirt poor.

Come on all you rich expats, how about buying and sponsoring some small commuter bus/vans for the local schools around your areas. God knows the government aint' gunna help.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

While we like to sit here and bitch about the age and state of the vehicle and the 'status' of the driver, who's to know about the study fees for this school. Was it a temple school where the (probably sober and kind-hearted) janitor was happy to ferry the kids back and forth in the best vehicle available.

Not every school in this part of the world has the income to afford 'proper' drivers and vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But today we ask, is this the best that the nation's children can expect from those who should protect them?

A: And today's answer is the same as it has always been - Yes.

Who is responsible for the maintenance of the truck?

A: We don't like foreign words with many letters in it.

Who will pay the price for what happens to innocent kids on their way to and from school?

A: A rhetorical question. How refreshing...

• Sad 1

On 6/9/2022 at 9:32 AM, webfact said:

Or the whole rotten system that almost daily lets down children being driven by incompetent drivers in unsuitable and old vehicles

Welcome to Thailand.

Lives are cheap new vehicles are expensive.

But today we ask, is this the best that the nation's children can expect from those who should protect them?

Can't imagine why anyone would ask that.   Where has it been suggested that what happened "is the best that Thailand's children can expect from those who should protect them"?   It was a one-off accident.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 9:55 AM, steven100 said:

said his front axle fell off

yes ,   that'll  always cause a problem 

Unfortunately that didn't happen neither did he say that!   There's a link with the real explanation.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Or the whole rotten system that almost daily lets down children being driven by incompetent drivers in unsuitable and old vehicles. 

And people that only go for some money. They would even sell their own mother. I had my kids on a so called private school. The buses were so old that I decided to pick them up and bring them myself. But still had to pay for the whole year. During the lunch break, meals were sold by the director's sister. If small children bought something for 15 baht and paid with 20 baht, the 5 baht change was not given. They were told to just keep walking. Even stealing from small children does not go too far. I am generally very positive about Thailand but this was quite a disappointment in the behavior of these eager Thais.

2 hours ago, 2long said:

While we like to sit here and bitch about the age and state of the vehicle and the 'status' of the driver, who's to know about the study fees for this school. Was it a temple school where the (probably sober and kind-hearted) janitor was happy to ferry the kids back and forth in the best vehicle available.

Not every school in this part of the world has the income to afford 'proper' drivers and vehicles.

I don't know of any school around here, Satuek, that have their own vehicles or drivers. We either took our own children to school or paid for them to catch transport

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Four wheels are visible in the photograph. The front wheels are cunningly hidden under the bush.....

There are 6 tires on 4 wheels visible in the photo.  

Are you saying this truck had 6 wheels and 8 tires?

I see it everyday here in Isaan, overloaded pickups with the rear bumper almost scraping the road, kids sitting on the roof, not to mention some of the rust buckets.

And all pulling up in front of the school gates with the police looking on.

Imagine the carnage if one of those trucks with several kids on the roof had to break hard or swerved off the road.

Amazing Thailand, taking care of their children.

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

I see it everyday here in Isaan, overloaded pickups with the rear bumper almost scraping the road, kids sitting on the roof, not to mention some of the rust buckets.

And all pulling up in front of the school gates with the police looking on.

Imagine the carnage if one of those trucks with several kids on the roof had to break hard or swerved off the road.

Amazing Thailand, taking care of their children.

Well I have to admit that whilst seeing overload vehicles transporting children I have never ever seen children sitting on the roof  and I have lived here donkeys years. 

Are you sure you were not looking at some Indian movie as it it common practice there ????

17 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Based on what technical assessment? Don't  have one? Then that's an assumption.......

The front axle fell off ! in fact it was the steering rod,  that doesn't need a technical assessment and 'nor is it an assumption. In a normal country steering is checked, but i have seen many vehicle testing here, not even a simple rocking of steering, while someone looks underneath for play in the ball joints, as with trucks brake testing with no load applied.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1