Historic bill to liberalise Thailand’s liquor industry passes its first reading

webfact

59 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Certainly the big brewers hate competition of any kind, but craft beers would probably have an insignificant effect on their sales - the vast majority of their output is bought by people who are just looking for the cheapest way to get drunk. 

I haven't had a beer in months, as my brand (Kopper) apparently isn't being produced by Singha any more.  I'll abstain from drinking any beer, if only their name sake labels are the only ones available.  All versions of Singha, Chang, Leo, Heiny, Archa aren't fit for consumption IMHO.

Not paying 150-200 baht for small kraft beer, as I apparently don't enjoy it that much.  1 small beverage shouldn't cost more than my meal.  Water works just fine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

This is a change in liquor law and according to the unmentionable newspaper, this is about distilleries, not breweries. Until some Thai reporters can tell the difference, I'm not getting too excited.

In that same article, the reason for the government not wanting to pass the bill was given as

"existing ministerial regulations could be changed to allow small distillers to operate, and the government could then continue to control the quality and quantity of liquor production."

That word control again!

Do you remember the microbrewery pub that was closed down in Bangkok, by the very senior policeman who was completely coincidentally paid a retainer to " advise" one of the big brewery concerns.

It was very popular, and he assessed, through the windows of his staff car as he was chauffeured past that their was obviously a structural risk, so he ordered it's closure forthwith.

How fortunate we are to have our wellbeing so assiduously monitored...

Edited by herfiehandbag

16 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Lol. Thighland will still have the same woeful choice—Chang, Sing, Leo—in 20 years! Garbage. Thais are creative and can do so much better but are routinely stifled at every turn. 

Govt. is giving away cannabis plants . Probably the low THC variety?

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I haven't had a beer in months, as my brand (Kopper) apparently isn't being produced by Singha any more.  I'll abstain from drinking any beer, if only their name sake labels are the only ones available.  All versions of Singha, Chang, Leo, Heiny, Archa aren't fit for consumption IMHO.

Not paying 150-200 baht for small kraft beer, as I apparently don't enjoy it that much.  1 small beverage shouldn't cost more than my meal.  Water works just fine.

Try Federbrau

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Try Federbrau

I broke down yesterday, damn peer pressure, and pick up some Snowy.  My preference before I found Kopper.

AND .... DAMN IT TASTED GOOD.   Fresh fill date: 22-5-2022

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I broke down yesterday, damn peer pressure, and pick up some Snowy.  My preference before I found Kopper.

How about Lao beer, the dark Lao is my first choice before Federbrau - although more expensive, thank you Thai Govt. for the high import duty. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Artisi said:

How about Lao beer, the dark Lao is my first choice before Federbrau - although more expensive, thank you Thai Govt. for the high import duty. 

Lao Dark was my go to for years.  Little heavy on the caramel though, and prices up & up.  When at Udon Thani, ฿25 ish via hopping over to Laos every 90 days.  Think ฿67 now for small bottle here.  Still very nice though.   Snowy & Kopper only ฿55 / 490ml and tasty.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:01 AM, KhunLA said:

I don't like the taste of that at all......

Used to try  Tapper now and again, but I too miss Kopper.

I buy cans of English cider for an occasional change. 

• Like 1