Thailand’s overrated beaches

Nemises

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

A beach is a beach. 

True

I have been to Grace Bay on Turks and Caicos Island - often voted as the No. 1 beach in the world.  yes - it is very nice - but the best?  not sure about that.

Australia has many fantastic beaches  - especially if you don't mind playing with the sharks, jellyfish, stonefish or crocs! The currents and rips can add to the pleasure, as well as sub 17' temperature anywhere south of the NSW border.

The most beautiful beaches I have seen were in Northern Scotland - but more than 3 minutes in the water will result in brass monkey syndrome.

I find many Thai beaches refreshing, safe & a great place to be. Since I do not surf, the shallow water or lack of a decent beach break is no problem for me.   

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand does have some nice beaches, especially on the Andaman coast. But, to consider them, or describe them as world class, is a gross over estimation of the place. You want world class beaches?

Tikehau Island, French Polynesia. Can't decide whether you want white- or pink-sand beaches? ...

Dreamland Beach, Bali. ...
Menjangan Island, Bali
Gili Islands, Lombok
Raja Ampat, West Papua
 Busuanga Island, Philippines 
Seagrass Bay, Laucala Island, Fiji
Ypao Beach, Tumon Guam
 Honopu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
Maipio Valley Beach, Big Island, Hawaii
Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. ...
Harbour Island, Bahamas. ...
Blue Beach (La Chiva), Vieques, Puerto Rico. ...
Trunk Bay, St. John, USVI.
Devil’s Bay, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands
Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Lindquist Beach, St. Thomas
Palm Beach, Aruba
San Blas, Panama
Oludeniz, Turkey
Porto Katsiki, Lefkada, Greece

Think I’ve been to the Fiji and Hawaii beach but not sure. Not been to many of the others but imagine many of the big wide wild Australian beaches must be as good. Famous Australian beaches like Byron and Bondi are nice beaches but there are better. 

Been to the Bali ones and spent a week on the Gili islands in 1987. Nice. Kind of normal though. The best beach I saw in Lombok was Kuta beach, not the same as the Bali one, stunning white sand with just the odd buffalo. Could be different now. Other black sand beaches on Lombok’s north coast were spectacular  too.

• Like 1