Question on Pattaya Songteaw fares

Nickelbeer

In Chiang Mai, a short trip is minimum 20 baht so 10 baht is impossible.

With the increase in petrol price, the minimum should be 30 baht now so you should feel happy they are only charging 20 baht

9 hours ago, webhost said:

I found recently when travelling on two occasions on Pattaya Second Rd up to the dolphin roundabout, they charge 10 baht. If you want to continue back down beach rd, they want another 10 baht. I believe the correct price should be 10 baht anywhere on the route, however it appears they are conspiring together to increase prices to perceived tourists.

Seems fair... it is the end of the 'line'... they often stop and pause there too. If one is on 2nd and wants to head South, perhaps they expect you to get onto the Beach Rd,

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

In Chiang Mai, a short trip is minimum 20 baht so 10 baht is impossible.

With the increase in petrol price, the minimum should be 30 baht now so you should feel happy they are only charging 20 baht

This isn't Chiang Mai.

Our lungs are thankful for that.

Next

On 6/18/2022 at 8:54 PM, PJ71 said:

I despise baht buses.

During Covid was fantastic, hopefully they were all sitting at home broke.

Menace to all other road users!

The Pattaya baht buses are one of the BEST deals anywhere.....without them exactly how would you propose that tourists and people with no cars who don't care to ride motorbikes get around?  would you prefer a few thousand taxis or giant buses roaring around?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, pomchop said:

The Pattaya baht buses are one of the BEST deals anywhere.....without them exactly how would you propose that tourists and people with no cars who don't care to ride motorbikes get around?  would you prefer a few thousand taxis or giant buses roaring around?  

I believe they are part of the traffic problem, causing delays and traffic jams. The fact that at only 10 baht it is a good deal is  why people support them. Are there other cities in the world that mange without baht buses? Yes there are. Looking at it sensibly, it appears very inefficient to have hundreds of these things stopping in the middle of the road and adding to pollution. I would welcome some air-conditioned electric tram system.  In Bangkok they seem to have reduced the traffic issues by getting rid of tuk-tuks and employing a modern light rail network. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I believe they are part of the traffic problem, causing delays and traffic jams. The fact that at only 10 baht it is a good deal is  why people support them. Are there other cities in the world that mange without baht buses? Yes there are. Looking at it sensibly, it appears very inefficient to have hundreds of these things stopping in the middle of the road and adding to pollution. I would welcome some air-conditioned electric tram system.  In Bangkok they seem to have reduced the traffic issues by getting rid of tuk-tuks and employing a modern light rail network. 

Bokhow light rail... ????

31 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

and exactly how much is a light rail system going to cost?  will it be elevated like bts...or run down the middle of beach road at ground level? so take away a lane or two so more congestion?  if elevated  lot of people will complain it blocks views?  underground?  even more $$ and flooding problems?  rail stations with escalators, massive amounts of steel and concrete?  Pattaya can't even seem to pave walking street much less build and maintain a serious rail transport system....

baht bus not perfect but better than adding more giant buses spewing smoke and heat and also clogging roads...i suspect the vast majority of tourists think baht buses are fantastic and would happily pay more than 10 baht....without baht buses the additional taxis, tuk tuks, motorobike taxis etc would likely cause even more traffic snarls...and taxi drivers in places like phuket don't exactly endear people to them by ripping them off nearly constantly..

i prefer baht buses....and of course they could be regulated a bit more but TIT 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pomchop said:

and exactly how much is a light rail system going to cost? 

20 or 30 baht per trip?

Would that be too much for you?

The issue is, the traffic situation in town is going to get worse..... some major effort is needed, and it is not to add more baht buses.

I can only say, not in my lifetime. 

Edited by jacko45k

Just now, jacko45k said:

20 or 30 baht per trip?

Would that be too much for you?

for me it would be a great bargain..i doubt that very many tourist would pay any attention at all to paying less than $1 usd to get around....it's peanuts

• 3 weeks later...

Remember the roaring success of the Pattaya Beach Bus circa 2005?  Oh, right.  It failed after what, six months?  The fare was B15 or B20, IIRC, in air conditioned comfort, and they couldn't attract enough passengers to make a go of it.  I think baht buses are here for the long haul.  Long live the baht bus! ????

image.jpeg.a29e098fb059ebc91dcd69f9cda69d9b.jpeg

Edited by wpcoe
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 4:13 AM, wpcoe said:

Remember the roaring success of the Pattaya Beach Bus circa 2005?  Oh, right.  It failed after what, six months?  The fare was B15 or B20, IIRC, in air conditioned comfort, and they couldn't attract enough passengers to make a go of it.  I think baht buses are here for the long haul.  Long live the baht bus! ????

image.jpeg.a29e098fb059ebc91dcd69f9cda69d9b.jpeg

I remember reading stories of people having to wait and wait and wait for these buses while loads of baht buses went past them...These buses ended up running empty all the time......Loads of money was spent on the city bus system..... 

On 6/10/2022 at 7:22 AM, RichardColeman said:

the songteaw goes basically from outside Jontiem immigration to the steps of Central

I don't think I've ever seen a songteaw on Soi 5 but after getting my Residence Certificate & needing to go to Central it was a simple case of booking a Bolt Taxi, no way was I going to mess around on a Baht bus & then have to change when I got into Pattaya for the sake of 80 THB...

If there were 2 of you that's 2 x 10 THB twice over so you're 1/2 way to paying for the Taxi anyway. 

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I remember reading stories of people having to wait and wait and wait for these buses while loads of baht buses went past them...These buses ended up running empty all the time......Loads of money was spent on the city bus system..... 

I recall seeing them up for sale at some second hand dealership on Sukhumvit close to the Threppasit junction.....

On 7/15/2022 at 4:13 PM, wpcoe said:

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

They ran 3x or 4x per hour.  I used to catch the Red Bus on Jomtien Beach Road and was usually one of about four or five passengers.  To correct my first post, the fare was B30.