Cabinet divisions break out over U.K. plan to override Brexit treaty

onthedarkside

Screenshot_4.jpg.ee412605d0e9e8733c19ba300235222d.jpg

PM Johnson said to have snapped at foreign secretary over legislation to overhaul N Ireland trading arrangements

Tensions flared in Boris Johnson’s cabinet on Wednesday as the prime minister prepared to publish legislation that would enable the UK government to rip up parts of its 2020 Brexit treaty with the EU.

Johnson snapped at Liz Truss, foreign secretary, accusing her of toughening up draft legislation to rewrite parts of the Northern Ireland protocol after pressure from Eurosceptic Tory MPs, according to people briefed on the meeting of cabinet ministers.

The protocol governs Northern Ireland’s trading arrangements, and Johnson is pressing Brussels to agree to changes because of concerns it has unleashed political tensions in the region as well as unacceptable border friction.

(more)

https://www.ft.com/content/1acd84fe-bac8-4e16-b4b7-750016d37ee8

1551551964_FinancialTimes.jpg.edb62c112a4c5aa98bf8c31fdff0ee8b.jpg

• Sad 1

Boris Johnson’s new Brexit gamble

A wounded prime minister retreats to his comfort zone

LONDON — Wounded by his party and with his leadership in peril, Boris Johnson is reaching — once again — for the Brexit button.

The British prime minister this week put the finishing touches to controversial legislation which would unilaterally rewrite parts of the Brexit divorce deal he negotiated with Brussels in 2019.

The long-anticipated bill to change the rules governing trade between Great Britain and Northern Ireland was signed off by Johnson within 48 hours of the dramatic vote on his leadership Monday night, which saw 41 percent of his own MPs call for him to go.

Now preparing his political fightback, Johnson hopes to once again reap the domestic dividends of a pugnacious row with Brussels.

(more)

https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-brexit-gamble-northern-ireland-protocol/

Politico.jpg.1c2ee3b959d727b31b7126837388af7e.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

I have never been so disgusted to call myself British. There are many of us just like like myself who are equally appalled. 

Don't take this forum to be an accurate representation of the British.

Was you ever proud to be British ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, baboon said:

What does that even mean? Proud to have emerged from the vagina of a British woman? I didn't exactly have a choice.

I have been talking with French and German friends who also emerged from French and German vaginas and hey! We seem to get along just fine.

Getting along being the point, despite the poison of the UK press. Let your hate die with you.

Are you proud of your fellow British compatriots and (Country as a whole) its achievements and influence  in the World ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The Irish have the right to elect any party they wish. It is no one’s business but theirs. The unionists need to accept they lost and agree to allow the Stormont to meet again.  

The Unionists have accepted the election result 

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I didn’t say they hadn’t. I said they need to agree to allow Stormont to meet once more. 

No, that is a different subject .

The election wasn't about Irish unification , that's a different matter .

Irish unification would only happen if there's a referendum agreeing with it 

• Like 1

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Who mentioned unification? I know I didn’t. 

Let Stormont meet again. 

Respect the vote…

I thought that is what you meant by using the word "Stormont".

There are regular meetings at  Stormont and there will be more meetings in the future  , not sure why you want there to be meetings again, when they are currently meeting anyway

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

How on earth can you come to the conclusion that the EU is interfering with the UK's sovereignty?

The UK came to an Agreement with the EU that there would effectively be a border in the Irish Sea, ignoring warnings from the DUP that this would cause problems and increase tensions in NI. What would you have had the EU do? Refuse to sign the Agreement because they were worried about the matter? They would then -perhaps justifiably - have been accused of meddling in UK domestic issues. I can only imagine the outrage that Brexiters would have expressed if this scenario had become reality.

So all the troubles caused by the protocol is due to Sinn Fein having the audacity to stand for election and the NI electorate for making them the biggest party? This would be laughable, and could form the basis of a Whitehall farce, if it wasn't so serious.

Identifying the cause of the problem is simple. It is due to the inability and/or the unwillingness of the UK government, who signed the deal to fully implement it.

The ability of Brexiters and this UK administration to avoid taking responsibility and accountability for their actions is astonishing, as is their ability to find new entities to blame.

It is rather difficult for Boris .

The E.U wanting one thing and Irish wanting something else

He cannot agree to both things because they are contradictory .

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Stormont is the governing assembly in Northern Ireland. 

It cannot meet because of unionist intransigence and refusing to allow it to meet. 

They need to respect the vote and allow it to meet once more. 

They have respected the vote and Stormont can continue meeting 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

They have respected the vote and Stormont can continue meeting 

No it cannot. 

Please do some research before coming up with such patently incorrect information. 

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/what-does-the-lack-of-a-speaker-mean-for-the-stormont-assembly-41646652.html

• Like 2