Concern for the Thai baht and liquidity if Thailand does not move swiftly to raise interest rates

webfact

26 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

That concern will not last. Companies are already sacking employees and the stock market is nowhere near bottom yet. With millions out of job there will be no choice but to turn on the money printer at full throttle.

What happened to fiscal policies like infrastructure projects : rails,ports , bridges, power grids for increasing employment. That also will benefit manufacturing and up stock prices for physical reasons ?   This QE business just destroys the currency . Quote from Stalin:  "The way to destroy a country is to destroy it's currency " Sounds like treason to me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, morrobay said:

What happened to fiscal policies like infrastructure projects : rails,ports , bridges, power grids for increasing employment. That also will benefit manufacturing and up stock prices for physical reasons ?   This QE business just destroys the currency . Quote from Stalin:  "The way to destroy a country is to destroy it's currency " Sounds like treason to me.

They’ve been destroying currency value since decades. Nobody goes to jail over this. They will go on doing it, because the alternative is hungry jobless crowds with pitchforks which hurts instantly vs kicking the can down the road for future generations to deal with.

Edited by AnotherFarang8

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I had sex with one of the ladies who worked in the hotel I was staying at , I offered her 300, 400 Baht and she wouldn't accept it .

I think that she was holding out for the going rate , ended up not giving her anything 

Mean b.....d !

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Yep And a Bottle of Beer at a Bar was 30 or 35 Baht......

First bottle of Chang I bought from a mom & pop shop here was 33 baht, now it's 56 baht

not sure about bar prices?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

They’ve been destroying currency value since decades. Nobody goes to jail over this. They will go on doing it, because the alternative is hungry jobless crowds with pitchforks which hurts instantly vs kicking the can down the road for future generations to deal with.

I suppose when countries live off massive debt one has to drive the value of the currency down.......I too am expecting to die before the worst of it!

• Sad 1

Nassim Nicholas Taleb himself, the horse's mouth, said in an interview on CNBC one time that the pandemic was not a Black Swan, but Andrew, the horse's a*s, kept calling it a Black Swan as the interview went on. Same with the Fed, if they can't prepare for something everyone knows could happen, what good are they?  They've been getting it wrong ever since Greenspan started this low rate financial repression mess. Interesting times coming, in the worst way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, itsari said:

When you have power you use it to your best advantage.

Delusional to think the US uses their power to anyone's advantage other than their own.

Maybe you can tell who should be grateful for that.

6 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Nassim Nicholas Taleb himself, the horse's mouth, said in an interview on CNBC one time that the pandemic was not a Black Swan, but Andrew, the horse's a*s, kept calling it a Black Swan as the interview went on. Same with the Fed, if they can't prepare for something everyone knows could happen, what good are they?  They've been getting it wrong ever since Greenspan started this low rate financial repression mess. Interesting times coming, in the worst way.

Just locked my tenants into a new 1 year lease on all of my properties in the US. No increase at all, and I added a landscaper to take care of the outside.....water conservation is coming and I still want it to look nice, not all brown......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enzian said:

They've been getting it wrong ever since Greenspan started this low rate financial repression mess. Interesting times coming, in the worst way.

That hack Greenspan caused the 08 financial crisis with ultra low rates,. influencing reckless financial deregulation. Him and other people like Dimon should be locked up 

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just locked my tenants into a new 1 year lease on all of my properties in the US.

You may not be under rent control. The Oakland rent board had made an ordinance that the annual increase would be 60% of the increase in the CPI. Then when the CPI increase just went to 8%+ they canceled it and said 3%/year would be max. No one should cry for the LL and I probably would not have gone the max allowed before, but those who say government is a scam just have new reason.

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

First bottle of Chang I bought from a mom & pop shop here was 33 baht, now it's 56 baht

not sure about bar prices?

And it was 6.3% alcohol.

Unlike todays wee wee. 

Those were the days, :drunk:

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You could have sex with a prostitute for 400 Baht , and you get free sex in the morning ?

Which year was that ?

Late 90's 500 baht long times were still availble. Cant remember 400s maybe i wasnt bargaining hard enough lol

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

Airdropping free money all the time is the modus operandi, the crash that’s coming will be much worse than at the coronavirus airdrop. The Fed’s chief isn’t that guy from the 1970s era who stopped inflation then, small chance he will continue to raise rates when economy starts cracking, virtually none. We won’t have to wait long, should be obvious around September.

Lol

The fortune teller monk my wife goes to each year invariably says, "This year, not good. Next year better." He's been saying that for 12 years that I know of. 

Since then, we've gone through 11 "next years," but the answer has always stayed the same, "This year, not good. Next year better."

(But wait! This year is last year's "next year." Shouldn't it be better, now??? ----- "Shut up, ya eejit! Don't be askin' no logical questions!")

Doesn't matter what I say, I can't get my wife to notice. Jan/Feb roll around, and off she goes to a wat in Thong Pha Phum to her fortune teller! 

(By the way, I'd describe ALL of those years as "good years." We've really never had what I'd call a bad one; not even through the pandemic. Hotel forcibly closed? Hey, that was the first real break we'd had in quite a while, hotels being 24/7 businesses, and all! 555)

Anyway, the point is............ color me skeptical about "fortune tellers"............ even those on AseanNow!

????????????

Cheers!

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enzian said:

You may not be under rent control. The Oakland rent board had made an ordinance that the annual increase would be 60% of the increase in the CPI. Then when the CPI increase just went to 8%+ they canceled it and said 3%/year would be max. No one should cry for the LL and I probably would not have gone the max allowed before, but those who say government is a scam just have new reason.

The renters have been paying the same for the last 3 to 5 years.  I feel for them with Inflation, so do what I can to help.

Edited by ThailandRyan

On 6/11/2022 at 8:02 AM, freedomnow said:

Yes, a lower baht is panacea for the predicament the country is in.

JUST DO IT vs all this market intervention so the stinking rich can

get their hiso imported cars and other top toys "cheaper".

If you think any intervention by the Thai Government is solely to allow the wealthy Thais to buy there imported cars cheaper then you must be demented .

If the hiso people as you call them have so much pull then they would demand the import duties to be reduced on there imported cars . 

That would save far more for them than a low valued baht .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Delusional to think the US uses their power to anyone's advantage other than their own.

Maybe you can tell who should be grateful for that.

The US dollar has its support from the whole world . USA can take advantage of that .

I for one that is grateful to the USA 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsari said:

If you think any intervention by the Thai Government is solely to allow the wealthy Thais to buy there imported cars cheaper then you must be demented .

If the hiso people as you call them have so much pull then they would demand the import duties to be reduced on there imported cars . 

That would save far more for them than a low valued baht .

Thank you for being the first person to call me demented.

6 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Thank you for being the first person to call me demented.

I wonder........ 

If you are DEmented now......... were you mented before........ and running the risk of being mented again? 

Honestly, I won't sleep until I know (or until after the 2nd beer!) 

Cheers! 

8 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Bring it back to eur thb 40+ and we will talk again Thailand. 42-44 would be very good as it gives budget retirees their entertainment money back.

No no leave it as it is now ???? as i need to buy Euros for my Thb ret

ext money on bank , as i stop with living in Lost Paradise in a few months ...????

So a profit for my Thb i brought in on 47 thb a Euro years ago ..

And now high baht to buying low Euro ????

(now starting selling my Condo furniture and appliances already...)

On 6/11/2022 at 2:19 AM, sanuk711 said:

While we are on Currencies---- Going across the border soon--Can anyone tell me why the Lao's Kip has crashed-

8 months ago-- 1 Baht = 200+ Kip.  Today 1 Baht =400+ Kip.

Wow doubled my Holiday spending........... :coffee1:

Chinese Yuan  is recommended..........

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 6:48 AM, Berkshire said:

Do you even understand what that means?  It's more to do with Thailand having a trade surplus with the US.  America does not want its trade partners to artificially weaken their currency to gain a trade advantage.  Are you suggesting Thailand is deliberately weakening the THB?  I wish they would...:-)

I think he's suggesting the baht is propped up artificially high for the you-know-whos to transfer their funds out of the country. Plenty in Govt/Army/Police are reported as having expensive properties overseas, and who knows about their bank accounts

On 6/11/2022 at 7:01 AM, garyk said:

That is very true!!!  Recession is basically guaranteed in the US now. The next couple of years are going to be devastating for a lot of people. The market is crashing or resetting. US markets are so overvalued it is insane. Inflation is eating away. I am out of here until it settles down.

I continue to expatriate my USD as the baht weakens.

I'm amused that some people think Thai banks are riskier than USA banks.

Of course holding loads of any fiat currency is risky. That's where conversion of some of it to metals comes in. Tangible assets are good in a virtual world of ones and zeros.

• Thanks 2