Pattaya locals perplexed by freshly painted zig-zag lines on roads, police claim it helps slow down drivers

webfact

The fact that picture are taken and the question how should driver react should tell you! 

I see lines painted all over Pattaya outside of Pattaya take around the Lake on Darkside no one has a clue nothing chances because of no education then followed by no enforcement. 

Today on Siam Country as you cross the tracks they painted fresh lines they are painted incorrectly and crooked. 

Some official took it out of a catalog but has no clue then got a great deal on paint????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, doctormann said:

Maybe need some different traffic calming measures - but what?

break up the road surface (2m sufficient) and turn it into a permanent construction zone: No need for traffic lights because there is that clearly visible zebra crossing next to the "site" 

Edited by thurien

Paint on the road what you want, but the ony thing that will help is an education of drivers, followed by huge fines for the ones who still don't care about the lines, zebracrossings. Enforcement is the answer. Confiscate the vehicle ..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grusa said:
  15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now... If those in positions of decision making power could only find away to make money from effective pedestrian crossings with speed bumps then we’d see a reduction in these issues... 

Easy: make high speed bumps in front and behind the crossing then buy up all the vehicle repair shops which repair the bodywork, exhausts etc damaged trying to drive over them

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya locals were perplexed by freshly painted zig-zag lines

Nope, seems like they got the idea from the Pom's, give it a go, let's hope it works. 

What I am perplexed about, completely baffled as to why the cops fail at their duty. 

I see these lazy cops sitting in their police boxes at intersections on their smartphones when they should be writing tickets for unroadworthy vehicles, unlicensed/helmetless riders, 3, 4 on a scooter. 

I'm very puzzled. 

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Paint on the road what you want, but the ony thing that will help is an education of drivers, followed by huge fines for the ones who still don't care about the lines, zebracrossings. Enforcement is the answer. Confiscate the vehicle ..

Painted road markings are paid no mind around here... in fact, if I were to  trust them, I would have been sideswiped dozens of times. The lines fade into obscurity. 

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Nope, seems like they got the idea from the Pom's, give it a go, let's hope it works. 

What I am perplexed about, completely baffled as to why the cops fail at their duty. 

I see these lazy cops sitting in their police boxes at intersections on their smartphones when they should be writing tickets for unroadworthy vehicles, unlicensed/helmetless riders, 3, 4 on a scooter. 

I'm very puzzled. 

It is just as you write...lazy cops....if the policeforce started to work not as they do now from 9.00 to 17.00 but 24 hours a day and indeed enforced the traffic laws and all othe laws it would be much better. Nut as we could read in the past a lot are corrupt and fine a few hunderd baht without tickets for their own pockets or threaten you to come to the office for a much higher fine if you want a receipt.  The whole police force should be reformed from top to bottom. Besides the police force is too lazy .. you almost never see any camera at a  traffic light for people who ignore red lights, a rel alcoholcheck at checkpoint, as they only check if you paid the taxes, but don't check the vehicle on tyres, lights, or other things...and for sure for the better miliieu the Government should ban all vehicles older than 25 years from the roads... But no one seems to do anything in this country to improve air, living and safety

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... Speed bumps are the only thing which will work...  

Putting a raised ‘drain entrance’ where the speed-bump meets the Kerb would be the solution... But... as with all of the se issues they involve money... and where roads are concerns Thailand only seems to want to spend money on on ornamental lamp-posts... 

Now... If those in positions of decision making power could only find away to make money from effective pedestrian crossings with speed bumps then we’d see a reduction in these issues... 

the only proper way is to go underground......make subways for people to cross roads !!!!

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How about installing Bollards that shoot up out of the ground when the light turns red, and have them staggered to keep the motorbikes at bay as well.

KAVASS - China Automatic Telescopic Bollard Suppliers, Manufacturers ...Sustrans Rangers in S. Cheshire and N. Staffs - Barriers

Except when they do not maintain the electrical connections, could be run off solar with battery storage

4 hours ago, blackshadow said:

the only proper way is to go underground......make subways for people to cross roads !!!!

I know they tried that in the UK, but these subways became a highly dangerous thing to use with all manner of thugs, thieves and perverts hanging around them. 

Lots of paint And still no crossing signs that can be seen before you approach. Around where I live the paint has faded so bad when approaching a crossing you can't see it, even worse in bad visibility. FIT THE SIGNS !

1587564323_images(63).jpg.9f9e6abdf330ef1201644932d319fcd8.jpg

On 6/11/2022 at 4:23 PM, Cake Monster said:

The UK has had Zig-Zag lines painted for about 10 Meters or so immediately adjoining a pedestrian Crossing.

They are a Tad more discreet that these Thai ones, but are intended to act as a warning of the crossing imminent

No,you just failed your driving theory test with that answer ! Have another go…

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think it is worth trying anything to shake the local drivers out of their driving induced stupor. 

Even the most reasonable people seem to lose all common sense and awareness here, when behind the wheel. 

The stupidity of the driving is often matched by parking sense..... nearly got me again yesterday, fortunately I am aware of the noodle seller and the fact people will park there, in the middle of the road, just after a sharp bend. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

The stupidity of the driving is often matched by parking sense..... nearly got me again yesterday, fortunately I am aware of the noodle seller and the fact people will park there, in the middle of the road, just after a sharp bend. 

Maybe it would be better if we used the low hanging lines strategically placed with hanging dummy figures on them to also ensure folks slow.