Renewing UK Passport.... 11 WEEKS Waiting Time!!

1 hour ago, partington said:

Mr Muddle is indeed in a muddle.

Your passport is not clipped when you first apply.

Mine wasn't when I renewed at VFS until they handed me the new one.

Mine was. Who are you to say what I am?

On 6/29/2022 at 6:14 PM, samtam said:

When I initially said I did not have proof of address with me the clerk asked about my EoS validity, and said that "might be accepatble". In the interim, I managed to get a copy of a recent bank statement, so any posible delay was averted, as she allowed me to go and download the LINE message with the photographed copy, have it colour copied in the nearby office. So, in answer to your question, I think she probably would have allowed me to proceed with my application on that basis.

Anyway, It's still "only" 6 weeks since I made my application, so theoretically only just over halfway through my waiting time of 11 weeks.

Received mine after 7 weeks. Email notification from VFS came on 11 July, but after the close of business. As I had an eye operation the following Monday, I only picked it up on 18 July, and my agent transferred the stamps at IMM CW yesterday, and returned the passport to me this morning. Good to go.

14 hours ago, MrMuddle said:

Mine was. Who are you to say what I am?

So, if not VFS, who performed what HMPO, in their infinite wisdom, clearly consider these days, in a blatant insult to our intelligence, to be the excessively onerous and complicated task for us humble mortals of wielding a pair of scissors in order to snip off the top and bottom corners of the front cover of the passport being renewed in your case?

EDIT: Or are you, in fact, saying that VFS performed this onerous task when you submitted your renewal application instead of when you collected your new passport? If so, then the inherent bungling incompetence and ineptitude of their HMPO masters in the UK is clearly rubbing off on to them as well!

Edited by OJAS

On 7/21/2022 at 8:29 AM, Shannoblic said:

Just a bit of additional info:

I got my new passport [UK] a week or so ago [via an agent in Pattaya] and on Monday this week went to my local Immigration Office to have my stamps transferred.  They transferred all the necessary stamps [took TWO pages in my new passport] with no charge.  I had been supplied with the required Embassy letter of request - they did check for the official embossed stamp on the letter to ensure it was an original.

Using the new passport I then changed my details at the two banks I use - Bangkok Bank issued a new passbook whereas Kasikorn just did a computer change.

All in all - no hassle, just a bit of time.

Just out of interest - the Immigration Office checked my 90 days which I had renewed on-line while my passport application was being processed in UK.  Don't know why but it was no problem.

Could I ask what you included for your address proof, did your agent suggest what were acceptable options ? 

I don't really have anything that fits the official guidelines per the Table A notes.  I get a monthly summarised invoice for utilites from my condo office, I've got an annual valuation booklet from a UK pension provider and I guess I could get an addressed bank statement from Krungsri at a cost.

41 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Could I ask what you included for your address proof, did your agent suggest what were acceptable options ? 

I don't really have anything that fits the official guidelines per the Table A notes.  I get a monthly summarised invoice for utilites from my condo office, I've got an annual valuation booklet from a UK pension provider and I guess I could get an addressed bank statement from Krungsri at a cost.

I mentioned my application to VFS via an agent on page 3 (received new passport last month). Actually, I did not submit a Thai source for my address with my application. I sent a P.60, a company pension statement and an internet invoice from a British institution (to which I subscribe) all quoting my Thai address (in English). I did not experience any problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kinyara said:

l would have thought that most applicants living in Thailand would be able to comply with the Table A requirements by supplying “one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency within the last year” using the residency proof, maybe “Visa or residence permit (or colour photocopy)” or “Immigration documents”.

37 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

l would have thought that most applicants living in Thailand would be able to comply with the Table A requirements by supplying “one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency within the last year” using the residency proof, maybe “Visa or residence permit (or colour photocopy)” or “Immigration documents”.

The UK Passport Office are quite helpful.

They have accepted a copy of ID Card/Passport of a wife/partner/Landlord signed and stating -  "I confirm that Mr John Smith lives (with me) at the following address"

We have just renewed my Wife and sons Thai Passport, we made an online appointment for Thursday at the The Avenue Pattaya. When we arrived there the place was mobbed. Straight to Counter 1, waited 5 minutes then called through, 5 year for my son he cannot have a 10 year one till he is 20 years old 1000 baht,wife 10 years 1500 baht, 40 baht EMS for post. We were in the office for around 20 minutes. The Passports arrived today Saturday, now that’s what I call a good service.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

We have just renewed my Wife and sons Thai Passport, we made an online appointment for Thursday at the The Avenue Pattaya. When we arrived there the place was mobbed. Straight to Counter 1, waited 5 minutes then called through, 5 year for my son he cannot have a 10 year one till he is 20 years old 1000 baht,wife 10 years 1500 baht, 40 baht EMS for post. We were in the office for around 20 minutes. The Passports arrived today Saturday, now that’s what I call a good service.

In the UK I would think 90% of folk have a PP and renew PP's, in LOS, it is probably 10% or less needing a PP....????

10 minutes ago, transam said:

In the UK I would think 90% of folk have a PP and renew PP's, in LOS, it is probably 10% or less needing a PP....????

Just an idea: if the authorities are aware that 90% of the UK population wish to have passports, might there be a case for staffing passport offices accordingly? At a minimum, they could, perhaps, decide to have as many passport offices as Thailand where (as you say) the demand is much lower.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 12:15 AM, OJAS said:

In the case of the latter they perform a few tasks which are nowadays deemed by HMPO to be far too difficult for passport applicants in Thailand to undertake themselves, like placing application docs into an envelope, sealing said envelope as necessary and then sending it on its merry way to an HMPO office in the UK by courier.

Are you 100% sure that's the way it is done these days of email.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Are you 100% sure that's the way it is done these days of email.

That is certainly the way it is done, and part of the cost of the application is paying for the couriering of documents between VFS and the passport office in the UK. This is vitally important to ensure the process is slowed down as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Based on reports I had read about VFS Global, I decided on a DIY application. I sent my passport to brother in Glasgow and applied on line when brother sent it on to Bootle. Brother sent the 2 back 3 weeks later by registered Airmail. I got them within 5 weeks of the start. But, I did not get the letter from UK Embassy "authorising" Immigration to transfer stamps.

I presume I was technically illegal between sending it off and receiving the new one.

I have 3questions, How do I prise an "authorising" letter out of VFS. and how long do I have to get the stamps transferred?

My extension does not expire until October, Is it deemed cancelled or expired due to being in a cancelled passport?

1 minute ago, Maybole said:

Based on reports I had read about VFS Global, I decided on a DIY application. I sent my passport to brother in Glasgow and applied on line when brother sent it on to Bootle. Brother sent the 2 back 3 weeks later by registered Airmail. I got them within 5 weeks of the start. But, I did not get the letter from UK Embassy "authorising" Immigration to transfer stamps.

I presume I was technically illegal between sending it off and receiving the new one.

I have 3questions, How do I prise an "authorising" letter out of VFS. and how long do I have to get the stamps transferred?

My extension does not expire until October, Is it deemed cancelled or expired due to being in a cancelled passport?

The stamps in your old passport remain valid. Your extension is unaffected. However, Immigration will insist of using the new passport when your new extension is processed. As you say, getting the appropriate letter requesting transfer of the stamps is necessary. You should contact the UK embassy in Bangkok for this. I do not think VFS will be willing to interact with you as you did not use their service for the renewal. The UK embassy should be OK with this. Just tell them that you arranged to renew the passport while in the UK. There is no necessity for them to know you did this in an irregular way.

17 minutes ago, Maybole said:

How do I prise an "authorising" letter out of VFS. and how long do I have to get the stamps transferred?

from the UK embassy website;

1. VFS Bangkok will give you a template letter when you collect your new passport from their office. Alternatively the British Embassy Bangkok can post a template letter to you at an address in Thailand. To request this service send a message via our online contact form, giving the reason for your request along with your name and address.

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Wouldn't they expect you to use the passport on your return to Thailand?

Thai Immigration will, of course, know that the new passport arrived from the UK without you leaving. That is not much different from what happens when you renew your passport through VFS. The UK embassy should be willing to provide a letter without closely examining the new and old passports. That is why I believe the irregular nature of the renewal should go unremarked.

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

"illegal" way.

This has been done to death, but there are several reasons why you 'cannot' send a passport renewal direct to the UK. Of course it has been done, and will continue to be done  -  but anyone taking this route should be aware of the potential consequences.

False declaration was one of the main reasons cited to me by HMPO when I asked them the question. This was their full response:- 

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Home Office advise that for security purposes a passport must not be taken over a border without the holder in possession.

If you post your passport to a residential address in another country it potentially could be retained by the Border Agency and cancelled, This could influence that actual granting of a UK Passport as there is no absolute entitlement.

The package you use could also be damaged during the delivery process and be compromised or end up in the possession of a 3rd party which could lead to identity theft.

To confirm the notes on the declaration form that you need to read before signing;

When the application form is completed and signed by yourself, if you are not resident at the address you provide, you are making a false statement for which you could be prosecuted and a potential prison sentence.

If the passport is lost in transit or has a delivery issue you will need to attend in person to collect it. As you possibly will not have any other travel documents to return to the UK it would leave you in a difficult position.

Taking the above into account and you state that the action you are suggesting will save time and money, the repercussions of being caught are severe.

I hope this has been of assistance and recommend strongly that you follow the standard process.

If you require any further information, please contact us through our helpline on +44 (0)300 222 0000 or via e-mail [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

Kind Regards,

C Banks

Customer Service Management Team

HM Passport Office Operations

Her Majesty's Passport Office

There will always be chancers, same as folk claiming they live in Scunthorpe when they actually live in Pattaya, to get a few extra quid state pension, which is waaaaaay more serious than a PP renewal.......????...........????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

75% of U.K. citizens have a Passport, no idea about Thailand, I paid several trips to the Passport Office in Pattaya to check out how busy it was. Every time mobbed, they only do 200 a day. I then discovered you can apply online for an appointment, it’s easy to do, it’s in Thai and English. I was surprised when we went there were long lines at the counters yet no one at the appointment counter.

12 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

"illegal" way.

Well, I agree. That does not stop me from advising on the best way forward.

Yes, this ought not, strictly speaking, to have been done. However, he is not exactly a master criminal, and trying to cover up his misdeed is perfectly moral IMHO.

Edited by BritTim

4 minutes ago, transam said:

There will always be chancers, same as folk claiming they live in Scunthorpe when they actually live in Pattaya, to get a few extra quid state pension, which is waaaaaay more serious than a PP renewal.......????...........????

The majority of the chancers will be people who paid into system so I can’t fault them for getting the extra few quid considering if you never work a day in your life you qualify for the full pension and can apply for other benefits.

Just now, BritTim said:

Yes, this ought not, strictly speaking, done to have been done. However, he is not exactly a master criminal, and trying to cover up his misdeed is perfectly moral IMHO.

The wording in that Gov reply is VERY clear how serious they treat the practise, along with the possible legal action and cancellation of a PP......????

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The majority of the chancers will be people who paid into system so I can’t fault them for getting the extra few quid considering if you never work a day in your life you qualify for the full pension and can apply for other benefits.

I agree, but the law states different, it is theft, no matter what we think about it...

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

If I remember I used an agent to transfer my visa, 300 baht no letter required.

Think I downloaded the letter for immigration on the Net last time, and printed it off, cost nothing to update the new PP...

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Yes, this ought not, strictly speaking, to have been done. However, he is not exactly a master criminal, and trying to cover up his misdeed is perfectly moral IMHO.

I agree 100% - and, in appropriate circumstances, I would consider doing the same. I am just passing on the reply to my enquiry.

I just think that the risks cannot be ignored lightly.

1 minute ago, transam said:

Think I downloaded the letter for immigration on the Net last time, and printed it off, cost nothing to update the new PP...

I think you are right that people have success with this. I seem to remember doing this when renewing my passport in the days when it was done through Hong Kong. Some, though, will claim that the letter will not be accepted by Immigration without an official (non photocopied or photo shopped) embassy stamp.

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think you are right that people have success with this. I seem to remember doing this when renewing my passport in the days when it was done through Hong Kong. Some, though, will claim that the letter will not be accepted by Immigration without an official (non photocopied or photo shopped) embassy stamp.

If push comes to shove an agent would probably sort it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The Embassy letter which you get when you collect your new passport from VFS is embossed with the Embassy seal.   It's only required by Thai Immigration when transferring stamps to a new, unused passport.  If you renew your passport while in the UK, the letter is not required as your new passport will be stamped upon arrival in Thailand.  You only need to old and new passports to get your stamps transferred.

• Like 1