Renewing UK Passport.... 11 WEEKS Waiting Time!!

My UK passport expires in March 2023.

But because of Covid I have been on 60 day visa exempt renewalls for 2 years now and that is not long enough to be able to send my passport off for renewal because they just give you an 8 week stamp every time.

I am trying to do this online, does anyone know of a quicker way to get a UK passport renewed?... For example, can this be done within Thailand??

Thanks in advance.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

2023?  You don't send your passport with the application, only a copy.  And you don't send anything, you take it to VFS in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  So you retain your old passport for immigration purposes until the new one is received.

Thanks for that, I have just saw that... But it says in the info that once the application is made, you can no longer use your old passport but can retain it for ID purposes. So I am assuming they are going to clip the corner, so I am not any better off regarding the 11 weeks versus 8 week stamps. Or am I reading this wrong??

Most grateful for your response.

Editid to add... Actually it does say cannot use it to travel... Here is the sentence.

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

Edited by Brewster67

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

You cannot use it for travel, that's all.  It is cancelled on the UK database when they receive the application there.  Thai immigration will have no knowledge of that.  The corner is not clipped until you receive the new passport.

Much obliged to you for the help... Thanks mate, off to BKK I go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

2023?  You don't send your passport with the application, only a copy. 

Not true, they will not renew your passport until you have surrendered the old one.  I know, I've just done it online. 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The discussion is about doing the passport application at VFS here not online.

They do return the passport after the application is submitted.

Okay, I didn't know that.  Perhaps something for people to take into account if they renew online as I did . 

46 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Why would anybody,  anywhere, at any time leave the renewal of such an important document  to the last  minute?

Fair enough, and some overlook the req to have 6 months remaining on the passport to travel to certain countries, but in this case the OP has 9 months remaining. 

So, easy enough to go to VFS in Bkk. submit the docs and collect within 3 months. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OJAS said:

The OP cannot IMHO be blamed for his home country government's decision to entrust its passport renewal services to a bunch of idiots who are masters of bungling incompetence and ineptitude!

HMPO deal with passport renewals in the UK.  VFS in Thailand just check the documents and send them to HMPO in Liverpool.  The delays are purely the fault of HMPO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

HMPO deal with passport renewals in the UK.  VFS in Thailand just check the documents and send them to HMPO in Liverpool.  The delays are purely the fault of HMPO.

.........being overloaded with tools who left renewals to the last minute...????

• Haha 1

I submitted mine at VFS in Bangkok, (in which I live), on 11 May, and it will take 11 weeks, so the new one will not be available for collection before beginning of August, and quite possibly longer, if the horror stories at HMPO are in the majority - some 500,000 backlog and some cases taking over 3 months. My old passport expires on 30 April 2023, so as my new Extension of Stay is up until then, I hope I shall get it back before that....????

...well, a lot before then, as it would be nice to exit Thailand after more than 3 years, (6 months renovating my condo, and 2 1/2 years of Covid), when travel was too tedious. 

Edited by samtam

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

Not true, they will not renew your passport until you have surrendered the old one.  I know, I've just done it online. 

At VFS in Thailand you only submit a photocopy of your passport, not the original, which you keep, but cannot use for international travel.

• Like 1