Renewing UK Passport.... 11 WEEKS Waiting Time!!

35 minutes ago, mancub said:

Adult Renewal (overseas application): 41.70 days

(Crowd sourced data for last 30 days)

Latest info from UK passport office 

That sounds a bit more promising....42 days versus 77 (11 weeks).

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Hasn't the OP heard of Covid and its impact  on work in the UK?

My passport expires in June 22 this month. SO being an adult who keeps myself  informed and proactively acts in a way to make  my life as simple as possible-

I took my passport  to an agency in October 2021 where they told me it might take 11 weeks to get a new one. I signed  a form. I yielded  my passport  for 24 hours.

About 8 weeks  later my new passport  arrived-6 months before my old passport  elapsed.

Apparently the 8 weeks was caused by a Christmas  rush after travel  restrictions were lifted.

BUT how is it possible  for adults not to  know about possible  delays  in issuing passports (and DLs) in the UK.

Why would anybody,  anywhere, at any time leave the renewal of such an important document  to the last  minute?

The OP needs to use a good, professional  agent to sort this  out and learn a lesson about proactive  planning.

I also renew my retirement extension  six weeks  early.

You make some good points, it seems that the OP has nine months or so to get a new passport , so it shouldn't be a problem.

"Hasn't the OP heard of Covid and its impact  on work in the UK?" Many people were instructed to work from home when the pandemic took hold to stop the spread. Now its "almost over" those people should be going back to work, many don't want to. As with workers at the passport office in the UK. In fact the head of the passport office, Abi Tierney, refuses to go back to the office full time.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/27/passport-office-boss-working-home-backlog-nears-million/

As I understand it the folks working from home cannot access some of the secure data needed to do their job efficiently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samtam said:

At VFS in Thailand you only submit a photocopy of your passport, not the original, which you keep, but cannot use for international travel.

Ah cool, so they can’t deport you ?! ???? 

Seriously though ,you are correct but I have heard of people nonetheless using it for international travel as HMPO wouldn’t be able to update the databases of other countries you might travel to. It is risky though 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You asserted something incorrectly giving, albeit accidentally, misleading, false information. And you have the misleading comment on the forum instead of asking to have  it removed.  Just a thought.

Oh smack handy Tom, naughty boy. 

I was passing on my experience, that was then clarified  by Ubon Joe, which I acknowledged. I still maintain that if applying online you need to send your old passport to London before they issue a new one, they then return old and new passport to your UK address. The online instructions are very clear on this point.

Happy now? 

Edited by Doctor Tom

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

The OP cannot IMHO be blamed for his home country government's decision to entrust its passport renewal services to a bunch of idiots who are masters of bungling incompetence and ineptitude!

You think government departments are anymore efficient? ????????????

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 3:07 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Quicker way is to fly back to UK and find a passport office where you can get a quick appointment, only viable if desperate 

Even that route can prove difficult, from the passport Fast Track appointment booking website:

Sorry, there are no available appointment

Due to high demand, there aren't any appointments available at the moment.

Extra appointments are added each day, so check again later for availability.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The discussion is about doing the passport application at VFS here not online.

They do return the passport after the application is submitted.

Re application form.

Is it ok to print it on A4 paper and submit at VFS Bangkok?

Down to 7 or 8 pages and want to replace. Expires next year.

Edited by overherebc

You'll be lucky to get it in 11 weeks, I know someone here who got his returned and it took 5 months.

There are reports that 5 million have applied for passports to go on holiday this summer.

People are being pushed from one office to another as the so called service, can't track where they are at any given time.

It's a shambles which is due to get worse if they go ahead with getting rid of another 90000 civil servants, another blonde bunter debacle.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

You'll be lucky to get it in 11 weeks, I know someone here who got his returned and it took 5 months.

There are reports that 5 million have applied for passports to go on holiday this summer.

People are being pushed from one office to another as the so called service, can't track where they are at any given time.

It's a shambles which is due to get worse if they go ahead with getting rid of another 90000 civil servants, another blonde bunter debacle.

The Bodger is not solely to blame. Most of the passport debacle rests with the top hatted clown from the 1860 party, who decided to put a notice on everyone's desk, who was working from home, that if they did not return they would be fired.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

5 months to renew a passport, you're having a laugh...????

Perhaps your 90,000 peeps removal are nothing to do with passports, come back when you have passport office redundancies figure..

19 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

I am trying to do this online, does anyone know of a quicker way to get a UK passport renewed?... For example, can this be done within Thailand??

I have just returned from the UK and saw notices in many places warning people that passport renewal was 10 weeks and to bear that in mind when planning a holiday.

Problem is not going away anytime soon.

As has been said you can make the application at VFS and immigration will continue to recognise your existing passport until the expiry date. I was in the same predicament back in 2014 when they moved overseas passports from the FO to the PO and had to get the embassy to intervene.

6 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

says it can all be done on line now and costs £9.50 less for using online method?

I haven't tried it? Anyone?

That is the wrong link, for people in the UK not overseas.

Overseas British passport applications

How long it takes

You’ll need to allow up to 11 weeks to get a new passport.

You may have to attend an interview.

Applications will take longer if:

• HM Passport Office need to ask you for more information or documents
  • the photographs you send are rejected

Don’t book any travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel more urgently, you may be able to apply for an Emergency Travel Document.

Cost

You’ll have to pay a fee for your passport and a courier fee of £23.01.

The courier fee pays for your passport to be sent securely to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied for you to collect.

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
8th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be cautious with agents, I knew very well about the long delays, so tried to get it done in March but the agent held onto the passport for 6 weeks without doing anything. Now my summer plans are possibly ruined because of this delay.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Satcommlee said:

Be cautious with agents, I knew very well about the long delays, so tried to get it done in March but the agent held onto the passport for 6 weeks without doing anything. Now my summer plans are possibly ruined because of this delay.

What agent, just first letters will do, I will work it out from there....????

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Quicker way is to fly back to UK and find a passport office where you can get a quick appointment, only viable if desperate 

I see you keep up to date very well......and obviously have money to burn.

17 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Oh smack handy Tom, naughty boy. 

I was passing on my experience, that was then clarified  by Ubon Joe, which I acknowledged. I still maintain that if applying online you need to send your old passport to London before they issue a new one, they then return old and new passport to your UK address. The online instructions are very clear on this point.

Happy now? 

By sending you PP out of the country, if you are in Thailand, I believe you are committing an offence. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Renewed mine in Jan this year. Took 7 w via an agent (to avoid traveling to Bangkok twice). Nothing goes to the UK. VFS instructs Indian passport makers direct which explains why renewing your passport in Thailand is faster and more reliable than in the UK

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, grain said:

I also hold an Australian PP, and a couple months previously had to renew that PP in BKK, so I had pics taken at a special photo shop in BKK as directed by Australian Embassy, as I had a doz of these PP pics I used the same pic when I renewed my UK PP.  But yes, they are very particular about PP pics these days and knock them back unless they are exactly what they require.

Way back when I did a PP at Trendy, I had some photos done in my town, cost me 50 bht, but when I got to Trendy I saw in the foyer a PP photo shop, thought, better safe than sorry, had some done there, 250 bht. ☹️

Went up to do my interview, I gave them the photos I just had done, there was a lot of chat going on about them, so I pulled out my town photos, waved my hand, they took my other photos, then smiles all round.

250bht down the shoot....????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Renewed mine in Jan this year. Took 7 w via an agent (to avoid traveling to Bangkok twice). Nothing goes to the UK. VFS instructs Indian passport makers direct which explains why renewing your passport in Thailand is faster and more reliable than in the UK

Who told you that....?

2 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Thai passport costs versus UK passport costs......

Thai 5-year = 1,000 baht

UK Child (5 years) = 3,900 baht (ish)

Thai 10-year = 1,500 baht

UK Adult (10 years) = 5,100 baht (ish)

I feel very proud being able to help fund all those poor people trying to cross the English Channel etc....... Thank-you @UKGovt.

You are funding much higher salaries, probably 6 weeks holiday a year, sick pay, job pension etc in the UK....????

• Like 1