Renewing UK Passport.... 11 WEEKS Waiting Time!!

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The Embassy letter which you get when you collect your new passport from VFS is embossed with the Embassy seal.   It's only required by Thai Immigration when transferring stamps to a new, unused passport.  If you renew your passport while in the UK, the letter is not required as your new passport will be stamped upon arrival in Thailand.  You only need to old and new passports to get your stamps transferred.

The discussion is about the best way to proceed when someone has renewed their passport in an irregular fashion (not through VFS). By the way, while some immigration offices may transfer stamps when you enter with a re-entry permit without an embassy letter, I distinctly remember reports of cases where they refused.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The discussion is about the best way to proceed when someone has renewed their passport in an irregular fashion (not through VFS). By the way, while some immigration offices may transfer stamps when you enter with a re-entry permit without an embassy letter, I distinctly remember reports of cases where they refused.

Yes.  That's why I thought I would explain about the letter.  If you renew "irregularly" you don't get it, and I don't believe the Embassy would let you have one without proof that the new passport is genuine.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes.  That's why I thought I would explain about the letter.  If you renew "irregularly" you don't get it, and I don't believe the Embassy would let you have one without proof that the new passport is genuine.

The new passport is genuine.

You need to change your argument to claim that the embassy would carefully recheck that that all the correct procedures were followed in acquiring the passport, which I personally do not believe is likely.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The new passport is genuine.

You need to change your argument to claim that the embassy would carefully recheck that that all the correct procedures were followed in acquiring the passport, which I personally do not believe is likely.

Sure.  But the point is that Thai Immigration need to be satisfied that the new passport is genuine (and not been bought on Kaosan Road!), hence their requirement for official Embassy confirmation.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Sure.  But the point is that Thai Immigration need to be satisfied that the new passport is genuine (and not been bought on Kaosan Road!), hence their requirement for official Embassy confirmation.

Agreed.

12 hours ago, 007 RED said:

I renewed my passport late last year through VFS in Bangkok.  When I collected my new passport, they (VFS) handed me a template letter from the British Embassy which I apparently needed to fill in and present to my local immigration office together with both my old and new passports in order to facilitate the transfer of certain stamps from my old passport to the new one.

FYI…. The Embassy letter, including the signature of the Vice Consul, was (in my opinion) a very poor quality photocopy produced on cheap (thin) paper.  The embossed Embassy seal was virtually non-existent.

I scanned the Embassy letter which VFS had provided and produced a PDF copy of it.  I was then able to fill in the required details using PDF form filler.  I printed the completed PDF copy of the Embassy letter and submitted it to my local immigration office with the original and new passports, plus copies of the relevant pages/stamps from the old passport.

The IO never ‘batted an eyelid’, in fact I am fairly sure that she never really took any notice of the Embassy letter whatsoever.  She appeared to be more interested in comparing copies of the stamps/pages that I had provided with those in the old passport.  That said, within a few minutes she had stamped my new passport with 4 stamps and handed both the old and new passports back to me.

I have attached a PDF copy of the Embassy letter below should anyone wish to make use of it.

Please note the disclaimer at the bottom of the Embassy letter which basically indicates that the letter does not certify anything.

Embassy Letter for Immigration.pdf 256.09 kB · 9 downloads

What 4 stamps did you need to transfer ? 

1) Extension of stay

2) Multiple re-entry permit

3) ?

4) ?

I'm just wondering if you need to transfer the original Non Immigrant "O" ( based on retirement in my case ) as well as the Active extension of stay.

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

What 4 stamps did you need to transfer ? 

1) Extension of stay

2) Multiple re-entry permit

3) ?

4) ?

I'm just wondering if you need to transfer the original Non Immigrant "O" ( based on retirement in my case ) as well as the Active extension of stay.

Actually, there were 5 stamps which were spread over 2 pages as shown below.

Untitled.jpg.b585db3372f9278706c43e29bed092cb.jpg

Edited by 007 RED
Changed to picture
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, techno said:

Mine was renewed at VFS Chiang Mai on 7 January 2022 and was returned on 24 March 2022

It is not getting any better.

More than 550,000 passports were waiting to be dealt with at the end of June and it now takes on average around 10 weeks to process 10 per cent or 55,000 applications instead of the standard three weeks, the Commons Home Affairs Committee was told.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/half-a-million-miss-holidays-passport-delays/

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It is not getting any better.

More than 550,000 passports were waiting to be dealt with at the end of June and it now takes on average around 10 weeks to process 10 per cent or 55,000 applications instead of the standard three weeks, the Commons Home Affairs Committee was told.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/half-a-million-miss-holidays-passport-delays/

All those naughty folk booking holidays without checking passport validity....Tut, tut....:crazy:

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2022 at 7:21 AM, Brewster67 said:

I am trying to do this online, does anyone know of a quicker way to get a UK passport renewed?... For example, can this be done within Thailand??

I have just renewed mine.

Did it online and received passport in a fraction over 2 weeks

A statement was made some weeks/month ago that 95% were still being issued within 1 month.

The process is not started until they receive your old passport

I suspect that a simple renewal is straightforward if the paperwork is filled in correctly

If doing online and submitting your own picture make sure it is acceptable as it can take quite a few attempts to get right(will tell you online that it is sub standard) but it will still let you submit the photo if you deem it ok,

Problems probably occur on new applications where more information is required and needs to be checked with subsequent missing information.

This was from the UK.

Edited by Dene16
addition

32 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

I have just renewed mine.

Did it online and received passport in a fraction over 2 weeks

A statement was made some weeks/month ago that 95% were still being issued within 1 month.

The process is not started until they receive your old passport

I suspect that a simple renewal is straightforward if the paperwork is filled in correctly

If doing online and submitting your own picture make sure it is acceptable as it can take quite a few attempts to get right(will tell you online that it is sub standard) but it will still let you submit the photo if you deem it ok,

Problems probably occur on new applications where more information is required and needs to be checked with subsequent missing information.

This was from the UK.

VFS in Thailand check everything is OK, then they send the paperwork to the UK for just issuing/printing the PP. Your old PP stays with you in LOS.

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dene16 said:

I was in the UK during May & June and there were billboard notices everywhere that passports were taking 10 weeks.

With a backlog of about half a million it would be wise to err on the side of caution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I was in the UK during May & June and there were billboard notices everywhere that passports were taking 10 weeks.

With a backlog of about half a million it would be wise to err on the side of caution.

Of course, that's exactly why i applied for mine. I was not implying that anyone should ignore the warnings but more to ensure that the paperwork and photo is error free to ensure that no delay will occur. things have already improved as they now state a 97.5% within the normal time scales. Not going to help if your one of the 2.5%. 

I have contacted UK Embassy, no response so far. I am also exploring using an agent.

However, as a last resort would there be any impediment to my leaving Thailand before expiry of my extension, showing both passports, and returning a few weeks latter on a visa exempt entry and starting again?

On 7/23/2022 at 5:35 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

There is no mention on the GOV.UK website of the Embassy needing to see your new passport before issuing you with a stamps transfer template letter:-

Transferring your Thai visa after renewing your British passport

This service is available in person at VFS Bangkok or online and is free of charge.

The Immigration Bureau in Thailand may require a letter from the British Embassy in order for you to transfer your visa from your old to your new British passport.

1. VFS Bangkok will give you a template letter when you collect your new passport from their office. Alternatively the British Embassy Bangkok can post a template letter to you at an address in Thailand. To request this service send a message via our online contact form, giving the reason for your request along with your name and address.

2. Add your personal details by hand and submit the completed letter to the Immigration Bureau along with your passport(s).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

4 hours ago, Maybole said:

However, as a last resort would there be any impediment to my leaving Thailand before expiry of my extension, showing both passports, and returning a few weeks latter on a visa exempt entry and starting again?

When you leave by air, airport immigration will transfer limited information from the old passport without a letter from the embassy, and stamp you out on the new passport. You can then enter with just the new passport for a visa exempt entry. It is less certain whether this would work at a land border.

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

When you leave by air, airport immigration will transfer limited information from the old passport without a letter from the embassy, and stamp you out on the new passport. You can then enter with just the new passport for a visa exempt entry. It is less certain whether this would work at a land border.

@Maybole You also need to bear in mind that, when flying back to Thailand from the UK (assuming that's where you'll be heading for) visa exempt, you will probably be required to provide some proof of a confirmed flight booking out of Thailand within the following 30 days when checking-in for your return flight. A cheap throwaway Air Asia ticket to a destination in a neighbouring ASEAN country normally does the trick here.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:47 PM, theoldgit said:

l would have thought that most applicants living in Thailand would be able to comply with the Table A requirements by supplying “one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency within the last year” using the residency proof, maybe “Visa or residence permit (or colour photocopy)” or “Immigration documents”.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:26 PM, hotandsticky said:

The UK Passport Office are quite helpful.

They have accepted a copy of ID Card/Passport of a wife/partner/Landlord signed and stating -  "I confirm that Mr John Smith lives (with me) at the following address"

One of the big mysteries in life as far as I am concerned is precisely on what grounds HMPO consider our residency status in Thailand to be of such importance and relevance to them as part of the passport renewal process as to demand specific proof of this - and in so doing inflict on us what is IMHO a totally unnecessary and superfluous bureaucratic requirement.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, yang123 said:

Anyone received a new passport recently after having submitted an application via VFS?  (Interested to know what the current processing time is: 11 weeks, less or more?)

TVM

More, I am on 12 weeks and waiting...

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just received simultaneous notifications from  HMPO & VFS that my new UK passport is now nestling in Trendy House, awaiting collection.

Processing time = exactly 12 weeks.

Now the joy of booking BKK hotel and flights to/from the capital.... 

On 7/24/2022 at 6:56 PM, 007 RED said:

I have attached a PDF copy of the Embassy letter below should anyone wish to make use of it.

Please note the disclaimer at the bottom of the Embassy letter which basically indicates that the letter does not certify anything.

And not just this disclaimer but also the fact that the Embassy, in common with a fair few both on Asean Now and even in Immigration themselves, appear to be in some terminological difficulty in distinguishing between a visa and an extension of stay!

• Like 1