Thailand looks at easing visa rules in bid to boost tourism

webfact

4 hours ago, Jen65 said:

would agree with the Wine !!  Here 5ltrs 1300baht , in Portugal 250 baht !!!  whose making the profit ?? 

As far as I know, 5 and 10 liter pack are not available anymore.

However I talk about Mont Clair, other brands I don't know.

So they do want the dirty falangs back after all, the situation must be desperate, the nice rich tourists are just not coming. But they will charge a bit extra to get in and keep the dual pricing rip off in national parks just to make sure you pay. I wonder if TAT has ever considered hiring a western PR expert to advise them on how to really welcome tourists. The message they send out now is, we can't get nice people to come so the dirty falangs will have to do.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Robin said:

if you are going to make a life in Thailand; i.e, settle down and buy a property, spend money on car etc., then you want stability and assurance that you can stay, and come and go as you want without jumping through hoops like Thai Pass and quarantine insurance.

Long term visas, like Retirement do at least require a minimum wealth and this requirement is easily enforced.

Making genuine tourists spend lots of money, a long term dream of TAT is not easy when there is nothing for them to spend on.

if the old model of Bars, Massage, and Girls is not acceptable as the image of Thailand, then What?

Their aim seems to be to knock down the seedier (but up until Covid biggest revenue) areas and build more malls filled with expensive goods and designer names. Okay, for the big spenders that may be a draw but in tourism it's often the quantity, not the quality that sees you through. And anyway, big spenders can find the same big malls in Singapore, Macau, Shanghai and all have something Thailand doesn't, cleanliness. It's all very well  having the expensive malls and hotels but they won't work if the big spenders have to risk life and limb on the roads or traipse through rubbish on the streets.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Olivie said:

Even backpackers are bringing money to the country. I dont think a backpacker would live with less than $500-$700 per month. That's still more than what 80% of thais are spending per month.

But the average Thai is producing wealth thru work, he just doesn't get to keep it in the form of low wages. His usefulness to the Thai elites is not in his spending.

backpackers on 1000US a month or less only spend money on very low profit margin goods and services. As each foreigner does contribute to the dilution of the culture, their worth to the country is highly questionable.

What do some people have against back packers? they are young and looking to travel the world, maybe in a gap year, they may not have the budget of others but they do contribute and if they have a great time they spread the message. Once again ,it's all about money. As I mentioned in another post TAT needs a foreign PR person to advise them on how to be a popular destination, not a rip off destination with stupid rules to make things difficult.

4 hours ago, Brian Hull said:

Some whizzkid in Bangkok has finally discovered that the longer tourists stay, the more they spend. Perhaps now they will consider making a 3 months Tourist Visa good for 3 months, rather than 2 months with the meaningless inconvenience of applying for a 1 month extension. Many tourists would just move on to another country at the end of the 2 months and spend their money there.

I do not see how getting a 1 month extension is any more inconvenient than moving to another country. 

Fortunate tourists these who can afford 3 months off work and away from home. 

On 6/13/2022 at 2:13 PM, ukrules said:

Lots of countries issue 90 day stamps, they're a bit dim here.

Lots don't including Philippines, Vietnam and Cambodia for a visa on arrival.  

15 hours ago, Robin said:

I do not believe that many genuine (high spending?) tourists come for more than 28/30 days, as they probably have job to go to back in home country, but all such (mythical) creatures are put off by nonsense like the Thai Pass.

allowing 60, or even 90 day visa free entry might only bring back the cheapskate sex tourists and other attracted by Thailand's reputation for cheap and easy sex for sale

I think hat most genuine long term stayers have now got themselves more reliable long term visas (retirement, etc.) whihc have minimum wealth requirements.

Just how could Thailand enforce a policy of 'only the wealth can stay longer'?

Tourist will only spend more if either;

1.  Everything is more expensive.

2.  There are more nice things for hem to spend their money on.

1. Will only drive away tourists.

2. Most probably beyond the imagination of TAT, and would require drastic reform of Thailand.

What is wrong with going back to the pre-Covid model?  it more or less worked and made Thailand money

It doesn't matter, the unelected PM and his soldiers will keep making their money even if there were no tourists.

If any lack of tourists was affecting their income stream, the nonsensical Thai Pass and the insurance scam would stop immediately.

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Genius, how about making it easier for long term expats.

Something like if you've stayed here 5 years you automatically get a 10 year visa and exempt from 90 days reports?

After 10 years and no issues you get another 10 years?

Your post is too much common sense for an unelected PM and a bunch of soldiers with an IQ similar to the ordinary person in the street.

• Like 2

For me, the STV was perfect. Are staying 6 months each year, and will still do for a couple of years more. S bit more hassle to get the OA, but a bit more paperwork. Easing on some requirements would be great....

43 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What immigration hassles????????????????????

My post seems to have confused you judging by your reaction.

I'm sorry if you've experienced immigration issues when arriving on a tourist visa. If you'd like to explain what happened then perhaps it could be useful information to other posters.

24 minutes ago, JayClay said:

My post seems to have confused you judging by your reaction.

I'm sorry if you've experienced immigration issues when arriving on a tourist visa. If you'd like to explain what happened then perhaps it could be useful information to other posters.

Just keep reading this forum and you will soon know all about the immigration issues.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Just keep reading this forum and you will soon know all about the immigration issues.

I'm well aware of immigration issues and have been subject to a few in the past personally, but I've been reading the forum on and off for years and I've never seen anybody post about having immigration issues when arriving on a tourist visa.

If you could please enlighten me as to any situation where arriving on a tourist visa would be likely to cause more issues than arriving visa exempt, I'd genuinely be interested to learn about them. 

curiosity got the better out of me.... when first read the title decided not to read the post I knew it would be another TAT brainless post... was not wrong but here I was reading it, pity me .... 555

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I'm well aware of immigration issues and have been subject to a few in the past personally, but I've been reading the forum on and off for years and I've never seen anybody post about having immigration issues when arriving on a tourist visa.

If you could please enlighten me as to any situation where arriving on a tourist visa would be likely to cause more issues than arriving visa exempt, I'd genuinely be interested to learn about them. 

I don't know anything about tourists visas. I'm sorry if I miss read your post.

I was referring to immigration issues in general, which of course there are plenty of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

The problem with the people in charge of both promoting tourism and immigration policy have is that they are too short sighted.

Over the years we've heard countless times about how they plan on attracting 'quality tourists' which I take to assume people with more than a little money available and there's proof of this.....

When they actively pursued this policy they introduced bank account auditing prior to issuing visas, only those with certain bank balances over the previous year or something like that would qualify for certain visas.

This is one of the single dumbest things I've ever heard of in my life. The fact that it became policy is almost unbelievable - and it's still there I believe.

They should be doing everything they possibly can to attract as many tourists from all sectors of the industry and exclude nobody - that is their single largest failure.

There's nothing wrong with attempting to encourage more wealthy people to come but excluding others is the failure they don't see. I wonder who came up with that idea?

They're simply too stupid to manage an industry and deserve absolute failure as the result.

it's like left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing ... TAT vs IMO two different worlds but on the same planet 555

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:44 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Easing visa costs like done in 2010/2011 would be good for many wanting to come on a true Visa for more than 30 days.  It was nice nit to pay when I applied at the Los Angeles Thai Consulate back then for my Non Imm O visa.

It’s not the cost of the visa that’s the problem, it’s the complicated and difficulty in getting one that makes people come Visa exempt.  This looses money  for the Thai coffers. Why oh why can’t they bring in easy online applications as other countries have ( Myanmar/ Cambodia etc ) ? No one intelligent enough in Thai government to do this ?  Probably not , if you look at the initial Thai Pass which was a complete failure.  They obviously don’t have the tech experts necessary.

• Like 1

If  Thailand really wants more tourists - get the high Baht rate down. Today only getting 42 baht to UK pound - never understood why Thai baht does so well ( and I know UK £ has dropped like crazy post Brexit)  but the days of high tourism back in 2000s you got well over 55 baht per pound. 

3 hours ago, Robert Merrell said:

Why not allow 6 moth visas ...so many want to winter here.

Also ,how about a volunteer visa ,to spend time in schools talking English to teachers and students 

Who on earth would want to waste their time  doing  that