British biker, 83, is killed in a horror crash in Thailand after car pulls out in front of him

webfact

image.jpeg

Pictured: Mr McVeighty's upturned bike is seen on the motorway in Thailand after the crash

-- Keith William McVeighty, 83, was riding along the motorway in Chiang Mai

-- A silver car suddenly pulled out from a side road in front of the British ex-pat

-- CCTV footage showed he pulled his brakes but smashed into the back of the car

-- The motorbike lover was flung onto the roof of the vehicle and fell onto the road

-- A local police chief confirmed McVeighty's death, and said if the driver - believed to be a Chinese woman - was found to be at fault, she would be prosecuted

By CHRIS JEWERS FOR MAILONLINE and VIRAL PRESS

A British pensioner was killed on Sunday in a horrific motorbike crash in Thailand involving a car, according to reports.

Keith William McVeighty, 83, was riding along the motorway when the car suddenly pulled out from a side road in Chiang Mai on Sunday morning.

CCTV footage shows how the female driver accelerated across the road onto the outside lane straight into the path of McVeighty, originally from the Isle of Man.

The shocked rider pulled his brakes but was unable to avoid smashing into the back of the silver Mazda SUV.

The motorbike lover, an experienced rider who had previously competed in the Isle of Man's TT race, was flung onto the roof of the vehicle before falling onto the road.

Full story: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10910993/British-biker-83-killed-horror-crash-Thailand-car-pulls-him.html

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright Mail Online 2022-06-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Sad 34

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

As a long time rider, i can only say that motorcycle is a very good transport solution, that is, until you get into a crash be it your fault or not, seasoned rider or a beginner, if god loved you you'll get out of it lightly, otherwise...

RIP.

When I was a kid motorbikes were known as 'death-traps'. I knew quite a few guys who died on, or very shorthly after they'd been on motorbikes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Just now, crazykopite said:

couple of near misses on the bike non my fault mainly drunk Thais who have been drinking the cheap Thai whiskey from morning to night

If they were near misses, presumably they never stopped. That being the case how did you know they had been drinking Thai whiskey from morning to night ?  Or is that just your opinion as to why that incident occurred without any proof of your accusations ?  Perhaps those Thai guys, after having a near miss with you, may have got home and said the almost identical thing about you ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not a ‘race bike’ looks more like a CB 500 or something similar, comfortable to get around. 

The age thing is something many of us will face... the difficult of knowing when to stop riding. 

That said, I’m not sure age would have made a difference here...  when a car pulls out, options are limited. 

Did I only talk about age? No, I didn't! I was combining that with reactions at old age and driving to fast.

And NO! It is not hard to know  when to stop riding. No one over 70 - 75 years should be riding anything more than a car or a scooter to and back from doing necessary things. Quite simple, when you think like that, isn't it? Also a great way to stay alive, as this is the most or the second most deadly and dangerous country in the world regarding traffic.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 8