British biker, 83, is killed in a horror crash in Thailand after car pulls out in front of him

webfact

7 hours ago, RandiRona said:

I would argue that for a 83 year old everything is a sudden or surprising event. Car is your best friend on Thai roads.

A car is never your best friend on Thai roads! They don't give a <deleted> about you if you ride a motorcycle ????️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, xr399 said:

Would say most of the 'feral farangs' you mention are 2 week millionaires that have never ridden a motorcycle before and most likely have a few libations under their bare bellies.  All the ex-pats I associate with here are very cautious and also wear full protective riding gear while on their machines.

thanks, that's good to know. I've never seen that type of rider and I've obviously done the usual thaivisa thing of assuming that all (most) farang motosai riders are as useless as the knobheads in Pattaya. 

6 hours ago, carvets said:

I don't know for sure what the Thai law is for pulling out from a side street , but it was explained to me years ago that Thais believe if you are on the main road then it's your responsibility to avoid vehicles pulling out from side streets as you have a better view of what's happening . I don't know if this is true but it terrifies me to think it's possible . Very sad for the 83 yo involved . 

Not True, my wife's nephew was following me in a pickup, I pulled out onto a busy highway from a side street and expected him to wait for an opening in the traffic, he didn't wait and pulled right out in front of a fast moving pickup. He was T-boned and the other pickup turned over. He was ticketed by the police as the at fault driver and was responsible for the damages to both vehicles.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

In the USA, if you read end a car you're always at fault even if the car put a sudden break in the middle of the road unless the front car has broken tail lights or the front driver driving drunk. 

Same in UK, but I bet no judge in the land would put the biker at fault since the driver of the car veered erratically into his lane, trumping the above default scenario.  

6 hours ago, carvets said:

I don't know for sure what the Thai law is for pulling out from a side street , but it was explained to me years ago that Thais believe if you are on the main road then it's your responsibility to avoid vehicles pulling out from side streets as you have a better view of what's happening . I don't know if this is true but it terrifies me to think it's possible . Very sad for the 83 yo involved . 

Also heard similar things and with the sort of parallel thinking often found in Thailand, I would not surprised at all if it was the law.

A few years ago I bumped into a group of Thai lawyers at Suvarnabhumi on their way to a convention.  I asked them if it was true that if a car and motorcycle are involved in an accident, the car is always at fault simply because its the bigger vehicle.  They said it was and strenuously defended that position.

Quite how someone trained in the law - and one would hope, reason, can think that way is beyond me but it is what it is - Thailand.

• Like 1

That is my worst horror, too. Cruising on a main road with adequate speed and some moron decides to enter the road without looking.

No chance for a motorcycle to stop. Result is death in most cases.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

An 83 year old doesn't have the quickest of reflexes no matter what you have done before when younger. So you need to adjust to the current reflexes.

Isle of Man riders are a different breed.... 

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8204716.82-year-old-grandfather-ted-fenwick-wins-opening-race-of-the-isle-of-man-tt-fortnight/

• Like 1

The car driver scarcely slowed down as she approached the corner, and had to 'turn wide' because she was going too fast. The motorcycle rider ( RIP Kieth) had insufficient warning and nowhere to go.  Very sad.

The CCTV is shocking to watch - it shows how quickly our world can be shattered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

A few years ago I bumped into a group of Thai lawyers at Suvarnabhumi on their way to a convention.  I asked them if it was true that if a car and motorcycle are involved in an accident, the car is always at fault simply because its the bigger vehicle.  They said it was and strenuously defended that position.

So reckless retards driving motor bikes at high speeds can terrorize everyone on the road. Great law guys.

8 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

RIP Keith.. Nice guy with decades of ride experience.. 

Theres a certain level of basic road user ignorance that no amount of defensive driving can avoid. 

So true, I have been riding big bikes for 30 years in Australia but on holiday on Koh Samui I was paused on the centre of the road, indicator flashing right to call in to a 7/11, I was just starting to move when when here comes this local idiot, flying up from behind me on the wrong side of the road, NO HELMET... if I had moved 2 feet I could well have been a statistic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

did i miss something here it said motorbike on motorway.? i thought bikes were not allowed on motorways.  

I think this was just a bad translation. The road looks to be a dual carriagway.

Edited by jaiyenyen

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

As a long time rider, i can only say that motorcycle is a very good transport solution, that is, until you get into a crash be it your fault or not, seasoned rider or a beginner, if god loved you you'll get out of it lightly, otherwise...

Please spare me the religious drivel. Your god certainly didn't help this poor old chap.

• Like 2

Given that the report states and CCTV footage shows - but wouldn't a bike or a car collide into the SIDE of a vehicle coming out from a side road? If hitting the car in the back, this would give more time for the biker to stop as the other vehicle would still be turning from side on before going forward.

That the car went to the outside lane, this gave even more time for the biker to stop. I do not intend to infer that the biker is at fault, only that all things being equal these are points I just make about the scenario. Whether he was just going too fast to brake in time, lost concentration, we don't know!

In any event, the report isn't clear that the CCTV footage includes a car "suddenly" coming out of a side road or how far away the biker was at that point!

The "full story" doesn't clarify anything more about the accident. 

As I see it, therefore, I cannot judge who was really at fault. 

RIP to that unfortunate man!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

This is a classic and something we can all learn from. It's a daily occurrence that a car pulls out in the road and expects the cars behind them to see and slow down. 

The big problem I see here is that there is not enough understanding of drivers of what kind of road you're driving on. If it's a small soi with lots of traffic its not always possible to have enough gap to enter and you need to pull out in to traffic a little, which other drivers can understand because of the congestion and they will slow down and yield.

What happens is that cars often drive like they're motor bikes on little sois even when they're on highways. It blows my mind people do this but it happens daily. That's what happened in this video. The driver saw a gap, rushed in to fill it and then considered her job done because she wasn't hit. Problem as usual is Thai people don't consider those around them. Every. Single. Time.

The lesson learned is that there's never an open road in Thailand. You can never put your guard down if there's any side streets or possibility of dogs even.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

That looks like he was going a bit fast coming up to a junction, but did have time to do something about missing the SUV. ????

Yes too fast for that road I believe.

Another question though, why did the driver pull into the right most lane? That's the other big f-up here. The right lane should always be kept open for faster traffic and if that happened here he would have been ok.