British biker, 83, is killed in a horror crash in Thailand after car pulls out in front of him

webfact

8 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

RIP Keith.. Nice guy with decades of ride experience.. 

Theres a certain level of basic road user ignorance that no amount of defensive driving can avoid. 

Must be ten years or so now, friend was killed overtaking in the outside lane when another bike ridden by a youth came out of a u-turn straight in front of him. The youth had minor injuries.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, transam said:

That looks like he was going a bit fast coming up to a junction, but did have time to do something about missing the SUV

Yes he was coming fast and the SUV was a waddling tortoise. Doubt he had time to do anything as his first thought was the SUV would stay in the outside lane. Not the case, this driver just merge waddled right over into the next lane. BTW Judging the cars on the opposite side, the cycle is roughly the same speed, no faster than traffic on the highway.

Edited by LomSak27

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Yes too fast for that road I believe.

Another question though, why did the driver pull into the right most lane? That's the other big f-up here. The right lane should always be kept open for faster traffic and if that happened here he would have been ok.

Perhaps doing the left then a quick right, but, he may not of seen the bike, to me, the biker still had time to do something but didn't..   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Yes he was coming fast and the SUV was a waddling tortoise. Doubt he had time to do anything as his first thought was the SUV would stay in the outside lane. Not the case, this driver just merge waddled right over into the next lane. BTW Judging the cars on the opposite side, the cycle is roughly the same speed, no faster than traffic on the highway.

Then I read it differently to you...The SUV was already pulling out of the turn before the bike turns up, the bike was travelling at speed and I saw no evasive action from the bike, perhaps the rider was confused as to what to do for that split second, but his speed was against him... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RandiRona said:

I would argue that for a 83 year old everything is a sudden or surprising event. Car is your best friend on Thai roads.

Granted a "tank" is best but ... it is not the age but the mental quickness in being able to anticipate and adjust. With his riding background, I would guess, along with the police finding of fault, he had little, if any ability to avoid the accident. Sad ... I love riding my Aerox and plan to continue to continue at age 75. I acknowledge that each of us must have all the synapsis firing all the time while driving here.

• Thanks 1

Terrible accident.

Since I'm here in Thailand it came at No time into my head to ride a motor bike. (Or Scooter).

If this fellow would have driven a Car he would be still alive.

Also I'm not sure it's necessary to ride a bike with 83?????????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Terrible accident.

Since I'm here in Thailand it came at No time into my head to ride a motor bike. (Or Scooter).

If this fellow would have driven a Car he would be still alive.

Also I'm not sure it's necessary to ride a bike with 83?????????

If the ol' fella was driving a car at that speed, it would have probably been the same outcome with more damage to the SUV...

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wrong....  There is no main road in Thailand where priority is to a minor road from the left.

Actually the the priority has to be officially imposed.

The other thing is that most Thai drivers assume they have this priority and once on the road they do.

we also don't know how the junction is marked priority continues once the road is joined.

You are right most foreigners especially UK ones don't understand this - however it exists throughout Europe (in the reverse side , of course)

Edited by Thunglom

40 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Another question though, why did the driver pull into the right most lane? That's the other big f-up here. The right lane should always be kept open for faster traffic and if that happened here he would have been ok.

Maybe she thought she was back in China, and was trying to get into, what she thought, was the slow lane.

Mainland China drive on the RHS of the road.

Edited by jaiyenyen

19 minutes ago, transam said:

Then I read it differently to you...The SUV was already pulling out of the turn before the bike turns up, the bike was travelling at speed and I saw no evasive action from the bike, perhaps the rider was confused as to what to do for that split second, but his speed was against him... 

I don’t think the motorcyclist was travelling too fast or speeding etc (looking at the vid), but no one expects the car to pull straight out into the right most lane. 

Its difficult to see, but there doesn’t seem to be any slowing of the motorcycle - perhaps his attention was momentarily elsewhere, or he was looking in his mirrors etc...  

It just took a second for the car to pull across both lanes, not a lot of time to react and the reaction of an ageing gent is certainly going to be a lot slower than someone younger - I don’t think the ability of a super-fast reaction would have made much difference to be honest. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, carvets said:

I don't know for sure what the Thai law is for pulling out from a side street , but it was explained to me years ago that Thais believe if you are on the main road then it's your responsibility to avoid vehicles pulling out from side streets as you have a better view of what's happening . I don't know if this is true but it terrifies me to think it's possible . Very sad for the 83 yo involved . 

It would explain why that is the way the majority of Thais drive, but I think it's more a case of Me First. Seems that the Chinese have the same attitude in this case.

9 minutes ago, transam said:

If the ol' fella was driving a car at that speed, it would have probably been the same outcome with more damage to the SUV...

‘at that speed’.. I don’t think the speed was excessive... he appeared to be doing normal traffic speeds (i.e. about 80kmh at a guess)... If he was in a car it would have been a ‘standard’ (if there is such a think) rear-end shunt....   very doubtful it would have been life threatening or even causing injury. 

Watching the video a few times it actually seems as though the motorcyclists ‘could have’ hit the brakes and avoided impact...  I’m not sure he noticed the car in front in time. 

Edited by richard_smith237

6 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I have one more controversial comment to make  and that is that the standard of driving by female drivers here is appallingly bad.  The men are bad enough, the women are far worse. 

Give me the choice between a man or woman taxi or van driver and I'll opt for the woman every time. Speaking from many years of experience here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

‘at that speed’.. I don’t think the speed was excessive... he appeared to be doing normal traffic speeds (i.e. about 80kmh at a guess)... If he was in a car it would have been a ‘standard’ (if there is such a think) rear-end shunt....   very doubtful it would have been life threatening or even causing injury. 

80kmh is about 50 mph, that would be a bit more than a standard shunt.....????

6 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I have one more controversial comment to make  and that is that the standard of driving by female drivers here is appallingly bad.  The men are bad enough, the women are far worse. 

My GF would probably disagree, she is a very careful driver.

Perhaps you could post a link which supports your contention, IME male drivers here are either cautious to a fault, or hopped up on testosterone, alcohol and yaa baa. I haven't heard of any females with the first and third variable in play. All the statistics are saying young, male = increased accident and death risk.

Back on topic, I don't care how experienced the deceased was. To me, an 83 yo traveling in the right hand lane is just asking too much of reflexes, eyesight  and threat comprehension.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall TT racing involves dicing with traffic from scooters up to cement trucks.

RIP, perhaps that was the way he wanted to go. Quicker than a nursing home, for sure.

Goes to show you that no amount of motor cycle riding experience will save you on these roads. You fate will always remain in the hands of the most stupid, drunk, drugged, speeding, distracted, law-breaking drivers in the world. 

Edited by Nemises

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Then finally, the proof of the pudding which completely destroys your argument is that he was not at fault at all - a car (likely driven by someone much younger) performed a mindless manoeuvre pulling right in front of him. 
in fact I can’t think of a single thing you said that turned out to be correct! ????

So, how do you know drive out in front of him? Do you know how quick he was going? Do you know how quick 200-300 meter goes in 120km/h? We are talking 6 to 9 seconds. He also appeared to have problem braking in time or doing a avoiding reaction. Something that also supports speeding, as he must been having clear sight. So, maybe I am not so wrong anyway. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

That looks like a Honda CB500X, an adventure/touring bike with 50hp, definitely not a "race bike"

That´s good. I am pretty sure it will max over 180 anyway.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

Nope, you are digging a bigger hole for yourself.  It's a CB500X, not a fast bike, a very practical bike.   You never mentioned the car.  Too big and powerful for the driver?

I am pretty sure it will max over 180 anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1