British biker, 83, is killed in a horror crash in Thailand after car pulls out in front of him

webfact

3 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

Looks more like an Adventure style bike to me..  very few racing style bikes around these days.

Ok, wonder how many is going to point on that. I simply mean that it's a too big and fast bike for such old person. Better?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Seismic said:

Clearly you know very little about bikes. That is not a 'race' bike, but what we call an 'adventure' bike and they are not designed for speed. As we cannot see his helmet, I am also curious about your phrase 'Race Helmet' what exactly is a race helmet? and how does that affect the story, other than he was responsible enough to be actually wearing a helmet.

More about the race bike phrase. Please read my quote above. Enough of that.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

They are here, without a shadow of a doubt 

Have to agree, the women are by far the worst drivers, seem to be in a dreamland when driving. The higher death ratio for men is probably due to women do not consumed the amount of Lao Khow that men do. I have seen guys hardly able to walk get on on bike and then attempt to drive home. The bike the poor British lad was driving does not appear to be badly damaged so it looks as if he breaking, but does not need much to get airborne in a bike accident. RIP

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

And I would also say no one under 70 should be doing so either.  But we can all make absolutely stupid comments can't we ? just like yours.

Why would you say that? Is that because at the age between 70 - 75 many people really feel that they are losing reactions and concentration from younger age?

What is stupid? Is taking necessary precautions to stay alive stupid?

Please answer YES on both questions. That way we really know where stupid resides this time.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Very sad.

I saw the video and the car pulled out from the side street onto the main road and immediately moved into the overtaking lane, possibly to U turn further up the road, and the bike went up the back of it.

The rider didn't look to be speeding. It was a bit curious that whilst he clearly didn't have enough time to stop, he did appear to have enough time to move into a different lane to avoid the collision but he stayed on the same lane. It looked like he could have gone to the left or the right of the car to avoid it. Maybe he thought there was something coming from behind in those lanes? Or maybe he had target fixation.  

Anyway, the driver was at fault IMO. She could have pulled out and stayed in the left hand lane and it would have been fine. RIP Keith.

maybe he suffered from the farang affliction whereby they think they own the road because they got their license in a "first world country" and that they're automatically better than Thai motorists.  

I've experienced this in Pattaya walking up and down the Cow. Thai bike riders will give you a bit of space, even moving wide if they can. they also seem to be aware that you're there. 

feral ferrang motorbike riders will hold their line when if that means their handlebars almost scrape your arm. they also seem to stare straight ahead and not be aware of their surroundings. 

some of them get so close that I've been tempted a few times to push them off their bikes. I've shouted at a few of them and if they hear it over the noise of their little fart-machines they seem awfully surprised ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

There are no side roads on motorways, only slip roads.

RIP to the man, its a dangerous business riding motorbikes in this place.  

I have one more controversial comment to make  and that is that the standard of driving by female drivers here is appallingly bad.  The men are bad enough, the women are far worse. 

You are referring to CHINESE women? Or just women in general?

5 hours ago, carvets said:

I don't know for sure what the Thai law is for pulling out from a side street , but it was explained to me years ago that Thais believe if you are on the main road then it's your responsibility to avoid vehicles pulling out from side streets as you have a better view of what's happening . I don't know if this is true but it terrifies me to think it's possible . Very sad for the 83 yo involved . 

Well some drivers think they have the right of way coming out of Makro's on to the main road as I have had a few near misses. Thais seem to change when they drive, like some kind of evil possession has take hold on them. Sad to see a older bike rider go, I am sure you will be missed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RandiRona said:

I would argue that for a 83 year old everything is a sudden or surprising event. Car is your best friend on Thai roads.

did i miss something here it said motorbike on motorway.? i thought bikes were not allowed on motorways.  

RIP mate very sad 

• Thanks 1

A very common practice here is car drivers go from a side street standing still to going to the fast lane (that can be crossing 1 or 2 slower lanes) because one they have a u-turn to make down the road or just want to be in the fast lane (prefer driving faster than the average traffic)

This behavioral problem is not following the proper rules of merging on-off major roads or any roads...One sees this all the time - follow how to merge into traffic or into the average speed of that road...people drive as individuals not part of a system which dictates how one should drive/handle each situation. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

In the USA, if you read end a car you're always at fault even if the car put a sudden break in the middle of the road unless the front car has broken tail lights or the front driver driving drunk. 

What happens if some idiot decides to slam on his brakes and make a quick turn on to some side street. Surely this is not YOUR fault when you smash in to the back of their car?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats a ridiculous comment... 

Some of the worst drivers and riders are the Works pickups, modified pick-up, delivery guys in refrigerated trucks and grab riders....   the vast majority of which are all men. 

Your confirmation bias is working over-time if you think females are worse than the men... 

The male to female road death stat is 3:1... more males killing themselves on the roads...  but that is probably disproportionate because far more males drive / ride (mostly dangerous riding without a helmet).

Men worse. Go faster.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

You are referring to CHINESE women? Or just women in general?

women driving here in LOS,   One day, I will die of old age waiting for one to park her far too big car into a parking space in Big C or lotus. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

In the USA, if you read end a car you're always at fault even if the car put a sudden break in the middle of the road unless the front car has broken tail lights or the front driver driving drunk. 

Not if they steal your stopping space / distance by driving into it - that's reckless driving everywhere.

• Like 1