British biker, 83, is killed in a horror crash in Thailand after car pulls out in front of him

webfact

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

I’m same age as you, had 40 years collision free motorcycling in U.K., but after third non-fault one in Chiang Mai in six months (one drunk rider rear ended, one songtaew sudden lane change, one unlicensed woman on wrong side of road broke my wrist)  decided to stick to Wave for short trips to 7/11, otherwise car. I once did a road trip with Keith, very skilled rider, RIP.

Wonder if Chinese woman looked the wrong way as they drive on the right in China.

What a strange comment. If your assertion were correct that would mean she knowingly 

drove out onto a motorway against the flow of traffic.

I have seen video many times, the motorbike did nothing to avoid the crash, not swerve, not brake, and far to fast for a crossroad, 

If a car comes from the sideroad, overtaking is not allowed, he must stay behind the white car

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the CCTV video: https://www.newsflare.com/video/498646/british-pensioner-83-killed-in-horror-motorbike-crash-in-thailand

The driver in the car clearly in the fault, if she had used the left lane instead of pulling across into the right lane, after doing the left turn, the accident would not have happened.

The motorbike doesn't seem to be going very fast, was probably going at about the speed limit.

But it looks like he didn't pay much attention, I don't see any significant braking by him, looks like he just drove into the back of the car. While the accident is not the motorbike riders fault, if he had paid more attention maybe he could have avoided it, or at least reduced the severity.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bailed out of the UK in 1981, but remember a "Think Bike" TV campaign with frequent shorts promoting the need for ordinary car drivers to be extra aware of Bike riders when pulling out of a secondary road.

Not expecting Thailand to do anything like that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Theres a certain level of basic road user ignorance that no amount of defensive driving can avoid. 

which is why you NEVER ride a motorbike in LOS.   I'm sorry, NEVER.  No exceptions.  Not one.  It's your life.  It won't happen to me!!!!  OK, I'll save my typing fingers and end here.  

52 minutes ago, Spamhead said:

What a strange comment. If your assertion were correct that would mean she knowingly 

drove out onto a motorway against the flow of traffic.

I don’t think he meant that.... 

She may have had such a brain-fart that she thought she was pulling out onto a two lane road, straight into the right most lane thinking she was pulling into the correct direct / lane of that two lane road. 

Its a stupid but innocent mistake that many make.... I’ve momentarily done it (driving on an empty road Spain at 20 years old)...  a US Diplomats Wife (Anne Sacoolas) did it in London...  and on this forum there was a recent news story of a foreigner doing the same...  sadly its easily done.

https://thainewsroom.com/2022/05/27/foreign-tourist-seen-driving-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-road-in-chiang-mai/

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why is it not a good Idea to ride a Motorcycle at 83?  Are you serious in your views?  MAny of the folks I know that are in there 80's keep in shape and actually look a lot younger than some 60 year olds that I know who drink and smoke and do not take care of themselves.  This Gentleman (may he RIP) was an avid Motorcycle enthusiast who had years upon years of experience.  I find your view offensive, and even if he had been a young man in his 20's death might have occurred as well.

It's not about "younger looking". It's about overconfidence, which might an issue, accompanied by bad eye sight. And your reaction time might not be the same as with 20 or so.

It's not offending. In my home country you have to test your ability more often when you are old.

And......with a car this fatal accident might not had happened.

But I know there are a lot of bikers outside who knows everything, and even better.......for them.????????

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Here is the CCTV video: https://www.newsflare.com/video/498646/british-pensioner-83-killed-in-horror-motorbike-crash-in-thailand

The driver in the car clearly in the fault, if she had used the left lane instead of pulling across into the right lane, after doing the left turn, the accident would not have happened.

The motorbike doesn't seem to be going very fast, was probably going at about the speed limit.

But it looks like he didn't pay much attention, I don't see any significant braking by him, looks like he just drove into the back of the car. While the accident is not the motorbike riders fault, if he had paid more attention maybe he could have avoided it, or at least reduced the severity.

looks like he had the room to  swerve... old man did not have the reflexes to do so.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RandiRona said:

I would argue that for a 83 year old everything is a sudden or surprising event. Car is your best friend on Thai roads.

According to the smileys there are a lot of bikers outside who would not agree with you.

I do 100% ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just to add to my earlier post. Approaching a junction is precisely where extra care should be taken - especially when you're on a bike. You expect people to pull out on you - even in the UK. That was one of the first things I was taught.

As I said earlier, the woman drove like an idiot doing what she did but its not uncommon and her actions are exactly what I expect in such locations - I see similar almost everytime I ride over there. I believe the deceased is not a newcomer to riding in Thailand.

And again, with the greatest of respect, did anyone see any attempt at braking? Any dive on the forks indicating braking? Clearly the woman should not have done what she did and ultimately was at fault but in my opinion, that accident was entirely avoidable. 

Another thought which indicates a lack of awareness or concentration - when riding a bike you often have to make split second decisions.  If you were suddenly presented with the rear end of an SUV 30/40 meters in front of you, where would you aim?  Up the left side would be my choice or even the right - not the car's tailgate. 

Having watched the video several times, I'm absolutely certain that I would not have hit that car.

Someone suggested that he couldn't go up the left side due to traffic - watch the video, there is no traffic in the left lane.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Sad 1

Tragic story, but a thought provoking cautionary tale.  His riding skills didn't save him and neither did his helmet.

Had he been in a 4 wheeler with seat belts fastened, the driver probably wouldn't have pulled out in front of him in the first place.  And if she did, we'd be discussing who should pay for the damages if you rear end a car that cuts you off like that.  And he'd be around to participate in the discussion.

Riding a scooter is 20-40x as hazardous per km as driving a car, even with a helmet and skills.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Tragic story, but a thought provoking cautionary tale.  His riding skills didn't save him and neither did his helmet.

We don't know the official cause of death but I think his age will have had a lot to do with his chances of surviving such a crash.

2 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

So?  What has the max speed ( which is about 180) got anything to do with this case?  What was the max speed of the car that caused the accident!.  If it was a racing bike it would be capable of 300 which again has no bearing on the accident has it?

Yes, it has, but you are probably British and blindly defend all like a true patriot. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1