Lottery vendors complain of unsold tickets after the launch of digital sales

snoop1130

17 hours ago, kidneyw said:

Have seen quite a few in wheelchairs. Used to be one just inside the entrance to Lotus in Pattaya.

Same up in Khon Kaen Province. Disabled persons in wheel chairs outside Tesco Lotus supermarkets selling at 80 baht per ticket - the proper price.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Digital lottery ticket sales for the June 16th draw, by the Government Lottery Office, apparently adversely affected many lottery vendors, who found they had many unsold tickets yesterday, forcing some to sell them at a discount to clear their stocks before the draw.

You mean the ones at 100 baht or more had to be discounted to the correct price to sell?

som nam na.

About time,selling of lottery tickets on major roads is a stupid idea. The main road outside the front of our complex has them lined up everywhere. Cars driving slow,not focusing on the road pulling up without indicating,pulling back into traffic to move up 20 meters to the next one.

If they want to sell them,sell them at petrol stations,tesco car parks,not on the side of the road. Driving in Thailand is bad enough without having one more distraction on the road.

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

But this is Thailand and not the USA.

It won't be easy for many of the lottery sellers as they are disabled and this is one of the few jobs that they can do,

While I agree it's sad for many of the sellers who are disabled and this is a form of income for them, however they still have access to tickets.

But it has been hijacked by corrupt middlemen who from the start have been making millions.

As for the seller near my home who gets up late morning and goes to the market on his PCX sells tickets for a couple of hours, returns home by 4pm and gets pi$$ed every day and has never done a days work in his life.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Most street based businesses in Thailand have a "mafia" element that facilitate price-fixing and prevent competition.  I guess this is not (or no longer?) the case with lottery tickets.

Does anyone know why the lottery has been singled out for this sort of "gouge protection"?

Probably because there is no law dictating the price of goods sold on the street, there is a law dictating the price of lottery tickets.

18 hours ago, Elkski said:

Can anyone explain to me how your redeem a winning number?  I was told you go back to the seller and he determines his and your cut.

For GLO winning tickets, up to a certain amount can be claimed at lottery ticket shops, over that amount a visit to the GLO is necessary.  Sellers of official GLO tickets have no say in what the paid out winnings will be!

14 hours ago, bbko said:

In the past I've won 4,000b, gave the ticket to my wife, she went to a local lottery shop and received all 4k, no vendor "cut" given.

She could not have received the full amount for a GLO ticket win as 0.5% stamp duty has to be deducted.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

She could not have received the full amount for a GLO ticket win as 0.5% stamp duty has to be deducted.

Correct, I guess my wife just rounded up when I asked her the payout.

-

สลากกินแบ่งรัฐบาล ผู้ขอรับเงินรางวัล ต้องชำระค่าอากรแสตมป์ในอัตรา 1 บาท ของเงินรางวัลทุก 200 บาท หรือเศษของ

Government Lottery : A prize recipient is required to pay 1 baht for every 200 baht of his/her prize money as stamp duty.

Charity Lottery : A prize recipient is required to pay 1% withholding tax of the prize amount.

https://www.glo.or.th/mission/reward-payment/pay-reward-process

2 hours ago, hughrection said:

What do you wanna bet that if that kind of rule was introduced, more kids would be kidnapped every year and their limbs broken and set wrong so their pimps could make money off them?

It already happens here! ????

If that's the case, you should report it to the police.

Who said anything about kids selling lottery tickets.

Get a grip man.

7 hours ago, phetpeter said:

Each city should set up a department that allots tickets forsale,  only to registered disabled, who inturn must sell at the correct price...80 baht.  If found to sell wholesale to others then they lose the right right. There is a legal system that vendor selling overpriced tickets can be banned. Each seller purchases the tickets at a trade price allowing them to recieve a profit which I believe is about 10 baht per ticket sold, so every 2 weeks a vendor with a 1000 tickets would make 20k per month. Not bad for sitting around. Those who jumped on the band wagon, buy at 80baht sell at 100baht, make double that!  and that only on a 1000 tickets! think about a high traffic location and incresed sales. ....Why am I working so hard?

But they do sell batches onto others at 80 baht, illegal or not, thereby retaining their profit, and those sub-sellers have to mark up in order to make any profit at all.

10 hours ago, phetpeter said:

Each city should set up a department that allots tickets for sale,  only to registered disabled, who in turn must sell at the correct price...80 baht.  If found to sell wholesale to others then they lose the right right. There is a legal system that vendor selling overpriced tickets can be banned. Each seller purchases the tickets at a trade price allowing them to receive a profit which I believe is about 10 baht per ticket sold, so every 2 weeks a vendor with a 1000 tickets would make 20k per month. Not bad for sitting around. Those who jumped on the band wagon, buy at 80baht sell at 100baht, make double that!  and that only on a 1000 tickets! think about a high traffic location and incresed sales. ....Why am I working so hard?

Which is fine up to a point, but out in rural Thailand many lottery ticket sellers are older and quite a few are disabled and they use motorcycles to get around and sell their tickets. The price of gasoline has risen a lot in the last few months which must have put a dent in their "profit".