A French city approved burkinis in its pools. Then the backlash came

onthedarkside

Just now, ozimoron said:

No, he is saying that men dominate all religions. He did not say the "Same" restrictions.

That may have been true in the past for Christianity, but I think women are now treated equally, can't say the same for Muslims.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

That may have been true in the past for Christianity, but I think women are now treated equally, can't say the same for Muslims.

There are many, many Muslim women is non Muslim majority countries, even born in those countries who choose to wear the hijab as a symbol of their religion just as Christians like to wear crucifixes. It is spurious to claim that they are under any duress.

• Like 1

Its fairly logical to me, they are allowed to wear their clothing outside in public, why discriminate against them by trying to enforce rules when they go swimming? If you're of that mindset then complain about them walking around normally like this and call to ban them. I certainly understand those calling for a ban on full face coverings but this is nowhere near that level.

Where I live in Phuket its common to see muslims wear burkinis at the beach or at one of the waterparks/pools. Its also just as common to see Thai's with full sleeve t shirts and long shorts or leggings.

Long sleeve rash vests are also becoming very popular with all nationalities including my daughter who wears one to avoid getting sunburnt.

Live at let live, if you've a problem with the male muslims and their doctrine against women's rights then I agree but lets not discriminate against them swimming and enjoying themselves

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

There are many, many Muslim women is non Muslim majority countries, even born in those countries who choose to wear the hijab as a symbol of their religion just as Christians like to wear crucifixes. It is spurious to claim that they are under any duress.

I said treated equally.

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its fairly logical to me, they are allowed to wear their clothing outside in public, why discriminate against them by trying to enforce rules when they go swimming? If you're of that mindset then complain about them walking around normally like this and call to ban them. I certainly understand those calling for a ban on full face coverings but this is nowhere near that level.

Where I live in Phuket its common to see muslims wear burkinis at the beach or at one of the waterparks/pools. Its also just as common to see Thai's with full sleeve t shirts and long shorts or leggings.

Long sleeve rash vests are also becoming very popular with all nationalities including my daughter who wears one to avoid getting sunburnt.

Live at let live, if you've a problem with the male muslims and their doctrine against women's rights then I agree but lets not discriminate against them swimming and enjoying themselves

Isn't the hijab banned in France.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Correct.

Well done that town council.

There is absolutely no reason to ban burkinis

If people wish to wear them, then so be it. 

Trouble is with this particular religion its not what women want,but what men demand.

• Like 2

Just now, giddyup said:

It' just a slow and stealthy attack on French and western values, the thin edge of the wedge.

What is? Allowing them to wear clothing while walking in the streets along with the burkinis while swimming? Sounds more like you'd prefer them not to be around at all, thats a different debate

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

What is? Allowing them to wear clothing while walking in the streets along with the burkinis while swimming? Sounds more like you'd prefer them not to be around at all, thats a different debate

You mean a mass debate ? ????

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Western tolerance is seen as weakness, and something to be taken advantage of, and there are plenty of examples of that in many European countries. Like having a film banned by a cinema chain because it offended a small group of radical muslims.

If you read my post you will see that I disagree with the persecution of muslim women by their own religion. This however is a simple distinction of allowing women to where a burkini in a swimming pool, the same rights she has to wear her normal clothing while out in public. I cannot see any justification for that discrimination

Edited by Bkk Brian

9 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

Way further down in the OP article, there's an excerpt that at least gives some explanation about what's driving the opposition by some to the city's policy on allowing burkinis:

"These women, who both wear the hijab, insist burkinis have nothing to do with Islamist extremism. The mayor agrees. Extremists would never allow their wives to go to a pool, the women explain.

But after two major terrorist attacks in France in 2015 and the beheading of a schoolteacher in 2020 — all by self-avowed Islamist extremists — many French people make a connection between religious dress and possible fundamentalism."

if they don't like the rules let them go swim in Afghanistan..

i can't wear any type of swimming costume i like i have to wear an approved one set by the rules of the pool ..Why should these be different 

What next all our Western women force to cover up just to please this minority..

• Like 1

Just now, Peterphuket said:

It is the basis and the beginning to allow even more islam, with all its own laws and rules, that are going to suffocate the free west more and more.

If French citizens wish to wear “burkinis” but the law prevents them from doing so then freedom has already been lost. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Why would anyone care what someone else wears in the pool.  Whether a tasteful bikini/speedo, wetsuit, burkini, or 3 pc suit.

Correct, if I had free time and kiss my ass money I would travel there and go swimming for month in a gorilla costume (non shedding of course).

15 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

if they don't like the rules let them go swim in Afghanistan..

i can't wear any type of swimming costume i like i have to wear an approved one set by the rules of the pool ..Why should these be different 

What next all our Western women force to cover up just to please this minority..

The rule is that they can wear one if they want to, read the OP

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ozimoron said:

They are not "forcing" you or anybody else to wear anything. They are wearing what THEY want. What you are doing is forcing your dress requirements on them.

Freedom of religion includes freedom to dress how they want. How does it hurt you that they dress in a particular way?

Agree. In this case, not an issue for me but ... well, I come from a nation of immigrants. I only disagree with covering the face ... not due to religious reasons but rather public safety concerns. Same as not wearing face coverings (including motorcycle helmet) into banks, etc.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

NO, they are wearing what they have been indoctrinated from a young age by Islamic men to wear, you seriously thing that they would wear these things if not brought up with Islam ? The amount of non Islamic women not wearing them should be a clue to that !

You're right. But in the same way - Western women have been adjusting their looks and outfits to what was pushed to them by Western men

• Like 1