Most important thing is to ensure no one is hungry

webfact

image.jpeg

Studies show that, in the Asia Pacific region, one and a half years ago, the cost of an energy-sufficient diet was approaching one dollar per person per day. The cost of a healthy diet per person per day had exceeded 3.50 dollars. That makes healthy food unaffordable for many people when the poverty line is 2 dollars per day. (Photo by AFP)

Food insecurity might not be an issue that many people in Thailand worry much about. The recent economic hardships from the impacts of COVID-19 and the conflict in Ukraine, which is having a ripple effect on the rest of the world, have, however, resulted in a rise in the cost of nutrition. This is having a direct effect on society’s vulnerable groups, including those in Thailand.

Food security in the Asia Pacific region has deteriorated in recent years, not only because of the pandemic, but also due to many other factors, such as climate change, that lead to a loss of natural resources production and productivity, and the immediate impact of the war, resulting in critical price rises.

Thailand is not doing too badly and the country is on the right track in handling the issue of food security, according to a United Nations expert, Sridhar Dharmapuri, Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) Food Safety and Nutrition Officer. He said the steps Thailand has been taking throughout the pandemic are good, and it should continue doing this, but the country needs to be watchful.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/most-important-thing-is-to-ensure-no-one-is-hungry/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I am sure there is hunger in Thailand in some families. I noticed when I was in school there were kids who never had a breakfast, but most of the times families who are very poor don't say it and nobody knows it. It is a false shame to be poor not only in Thailand but all over the world, even in western countries. A good example was the help with the Covid how many people needed and were waiting for food. Shameful for the super rich that this still is possible in the 21st century 

And what do you think about your own country?

Now with many food stores for the poor, there is a map it shows all of them.

There has to have social security net which manages to take care of hunger of people like food stamps in US which you can use to only buy food. A middle income country like Thailand need to ensure that there arent starving people. It's a shame that it's not Thai Junta priority when they have all hands on deck to ensure that there is Ganja in every house.

40 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

I know .... And I was in the board of a charity society and I know it often worse than is showed and I am from a rich country. But even in my country there was and I speak of more than 25 years ago already people with almost no money for food. But nowadays let us be fair, people want to have , have , and have and buy a bigger house, more luxury car and than they come in the problems .. I worked in the bank for 26 years I know. I can tell stories enough and believe me in Thailand it is even worse.. Outside must be beautiful bit behind the door .......

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Studies show that, in the Asia Pacific region, one and a half years ago, the cost of an energy-sufficient diet was approaching one dollar per person per day. The cost of a healthy diet per person per day had exceeded 3.50 dollars. That makes healthy food unaffordable for many people when the poverty line is 2 dollars per day.

I'm calling BS on this one.

I know plenty of Thais that grow and forage almost all of their food, they pay no money at all.

They were out in the fields near me last night with torches looking for food.

This morning when I got up there was a guy using a net in the klong.

The poor are much worse off in the west with expensive food, heating and housing.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I know .... And I was in the board of a charity society and I know it often worse than is showed and I am from a rich country. But even in my country there was and I speak of more than 25 years ago already people with almost no money for food. But nowadays let us be fair, people want to have , have , and have and buy a bigger house, more luxury car and than they come in the problems .. I worked in the bank for 26 years I know. I can tell stories enough and believe me in Thailand it is even worse.. Outside must be beautiful bit behind the door .......

They are the last two Prime Ministers who brought the country to the philistines, don't tell me anything about that I'm old enough to know what happens there and one of the reasons to escape that country.

I wouldn't even want to be found dead, over there.

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

They are the last two Prime Ministers who brought the country to the philistines, don't tell me anything about that I'm old enough to know what happens there and one of the reasons to escape that country.

I wouldn't even want to be found dead, over there.

Correction it is only 1 man who does it....... and he is not popular for the Thai people....

4 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Ambivalent.... I watched a UK News report where a woman complained how expensive it was to feed her kids nowadays.... but she appeared to be over 200 lbs and morbidly obese. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Ambivalent.... I watched a UK News report where a woman complained how expensive it was to feed her kids nowadays.... but she appeared to be over 200 lbs and morbidly obese. 

Only one woman?

Anyway 200 lbs, let me guess, appr. 75kg?

4 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Only one woman?

Anyway 200 lbs, let me guess, appr. 75kg?

Divide by 2.204 for Kg... but she was a big lass, more 'chins' than a Chinese telephone director.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1