Visa for new Retirement visa

For various reason I will be in UK when my current Non IM O retirement visa runs out.  I have been using this for many years, extending every year with no unusual problems.

I have a flight back to Thailand booked for Aug 2022, and would appreciate advice on how to get a new Retirement visa, so that I can continue to live in LOS.  I have Thai wife  and live in Phayao, with a "Yellow Book" to confirm my residence with my wife.

What would be the easiest way to get back on the retirement visa I had before?

Do I apply for a Non Im O at Thai embassy in UK and enter on that and then apply for an extension.....,?

Can I enter on a Visa exempt and convert that to Retirement at Phayao Immigration?

Which is likely to be easiest and most trouble free?

I have money in bank as required for previous visa, so do not expect that to be an issue

previous dealing with Phayao Immigration have been amicable and last visa extension was as trouble free and Immigration will ever be,

You could apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage to the embassy in London on the e visa website. Link: https://thaievisa.go.th/

You could also enter visa exempt and apply for the non-o at immigration.

Based upon marriage is here: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

OP, you have funds in place to obtain non O retirement then easy option is to return visa exempt.

You can apply for non O shortly after arriving with 15+ days remaining on your permit.

The non O gives you a 90 day stamp.

In last 30 days of that permit obtain 12 month extension.

Edited by DrJack54

I note that you have been using retirement extensions, which are certainly easier when you meet the financial requirements.

My suggestion would be to get a Non O family visa via the eVisa site before your return. In my view, this will be easier than converting after entering visa exempt (which, at a minimum, requires two visits to Immigration).

Having entered on a Non O family visa, Immigration will still be happy to provide you retirement rather than marriage extensions.

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

My suggestion would be to get a Non O family visa via the eVisa site before your return. In my view, this will be easier than converting after entering visa exempt (which, at a minimum, requires two visits to Immigration).

I am in the same position and take a similar view, easier to get the new visa in the UK than Thailand. Particularly now you don't need to send passport away, only going for 3 weeks so will apply next month before I leave.

Added bonus, extension renewal will move from August to November, a much better time.

16 hours ago, Robin said:

I have a flight back to Thailand booked for Aug 2022, and would appreciate advice on how to get a new Retirement visa, so that I can continue to live in LOS.  I have Thai wife  and live in Phayao, with a "Yellow Book" to confirm my residence with my wife.

As mentioned the simplest course would be to return on a Non O to visit family. They now use a stickerless system so no need to send passport and you can apply up to 3 months in advance of your return. Specific documents are fairly straightforward, bit like an extension, marriage certificate,wife's ID, yellow book, bank statement and copy of passport for legal residence. You will also have to submit a copy of passport and photo as general documents.

Some people find the evisa system a bit daunting and if this is the case you can fall back on a visa exempt entry and do the conversion on return.

Non-Immigrant Type (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)

• Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand, e.g. a copy of marriage certificate / birth certificate / certificate of adoption
  • Personal details of a family in Thailand, e.g. ID card, Passport and the visa page or stay permit in Thailand
  • Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand
  • Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

On 6/21/2022 at 4:43 PM, Robin said:

What would be the easiest way to get back on the retirement visa I had before?

Do I apply for a Non Im O at Thai embassy in UK and enter on that and then apply for an extension.....,?

Can I enter on a Visa exempt and convert that to Retirement at Phayao Immigration?

Which is likely to be easiest and most trouble free?

I have money in bank as required for previous visa, so do not expect that to be an issue

previous dealing with Phayao Immigration have been amicable and last visa extension was as trouble free and Immigration will ever be,

There is one possible problem that hasn’t been mentioned, that if you apply for a Non-O visa in Thailand for the purposes of retirement, the regulations actually require that the 800k be transferred into Thailand, this requirement is not always strictly enforced if you have had this on deposit for a reasonably long time. the enforcement for this differs from office to office and even from IO to IO in the same office.

This requirement does not apply to getting a Non-O in Thailand for the purposes of living with your wife.

So this detail reinforces the benefits of getting a Non-O visa (to visit your spouse) in the U.K. before returning.

Edited by sometimewoodworker