Savage Rottweiler attack on two year old in Pattaya: Owner meets police - faces jail and/or 10K fine

webfact

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Och wheescht laddie.

It mauled a child, and must be destroyed.

I agree, but I will ask again, who is going to do it?

I can't even get a vet to kill my own dog(who is suffering)

• Sad 1

This is yet another reason I left Thailand. There is no ramifications in Thailand for anyone that acts negligently and nobody had homeowners insurance, which includes liability coverage for things like this. 

And the fine of 10,000 baht is a freakin' joke. Thousands of lives are left in ruins every year in Thailand because most victims of negligence are ever compensated for their injuries. 

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The child is now out of ICU but still in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. Earlier reports said the child needed 200 stitches after suffering horrendous injuries.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

He faces a month in jail and/or a 10,000 baht fine.

Which is farcical.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

In this case I'd like to see the family take this person for everything they own and refuse to pay the hospital bill until it was funded by the owner

Although I might pay for the rabies shots myself, rather than wait. 

2 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

Fine 10,000.   Human being will have challenges for the next 70 years.  Changes childhood, relationships, life…

in farangland I spent 12,000 on dinner with my family.

punishment doesn’t fit the crime

In a country where a PM was responsible for the murders of innocent people in 2010, when at the time the big boss man of the armed forces, what do you expect ? Murder is simply a way to gain the top positions here as Thai history shows so I doubt this poor kid almost being killed by this dog and its owner not being imprisoned is nothing more than one should expect ?

No punishment fits the crime here in Thailand unfortunately as the country is run for the pleasure and benefit of the very few who are apparently untouchable. Some poor old lady taking mushrooms was imprisoned a while back for stealing them but a drug crazed moron who happens to belong to one of the connected families can murder a policemen in his car and is assisted in getting off scot free by governmental organisations. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

But many non-dog lovers would like to see such vicious animals banned.

BS  This is a bad generalisation.  I'm a dog lover but still would like them banned. And all unruly dogs euthanized. I would not keep a dangerous dog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

NO

Blaming Thais is wrong. 

But blaming people that neither have the knowledge or willingness to control the Animal they pretend to " Love " is Right

whether they be Thais or Farang or Eskimos,

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Like 1

about time  Thailand realize the dangerous dogs are ROTEE . dog should be put down or shot and owner not FINED  but prison sentence  and pay hospital bill plus compensation not a poultry 10 k that's a insult to parents of the child attacked 

16 hours ago, connda said:

Bunk.  Properly trained and under control of the owner.
I've been around wonderful Rotties.  They are the exception.  "My Rottie wouldn't hurt a fly!"  Yeah - until they do.
Most need a lot of hands on training.   Untrained Rotties will go after "weakness" in a person or another animals.  Including children or even 'weak' adults. 

Anyone who has a dog (I've got seven and two of them can cause damage and I'm aware of it - it's part of our defense-in-depth home security.  Should my dogs ever get out and hurt someone?  I'd be 100% at fault. 
And I'd take 100% responsibility.

So - It p***es me off to see owners trying to escape financial responsibility for their dog's behavior.  And Thailand's concept of compensation is absurd. Commoners get zilch.  Foreigner a little more than zilch if anything. 

200 stitches and the mental damage to go with it?  Put a price tag on that?  My bet?  The guy takes the 10,000 fine.  That will be less than the medical bills for the foreigner's kid.

And if that was my child?   Well - it's not my child.

Thank you. Great points. A voice of reason. If it were my child? And the dog was not immediately put down, and the owner got away with a small penalty, it would be a personal fatwa against his entire family. I would dedicate my life to destroying his very existence. This is no joke, but the authorities here are the biggest joke in this scenario. They are such empty suits. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

i’ve had several Rottweilers got them as pubs raise them and train them they were the best dogs I’ve ever had they would never just attacked a child a matter of fact our friends had little kids  The dog would sit by them and play with them and have a stranger came up to the child and the Rottweiler was there he would not attack the stranger right away but he would protect the child that’s their instinct I blame the owner of the dogs Rottweilers always get a bad rap I have many breeds of dogs and the Rottweiler by far was the best they’re loyal they’re calm and yes they’re good protection if somebody tries to break into your house but still they would just not attack for no reason

If many of the kids here are any indication, most Thais are not exactly obsessed with discipline and training. So, you take a breed which has a natural pre-disposition toward being aggressive, much the same as pitfalls, do not train them properly, and what is going to happen? 

Like you said, you raised them and trained them. Many here will not train them. It takes work and dedication, and discipline. So, perhaps they should require special licensing, and some burden of proof should be on the owner to demonstrate their dogs are trained. But, since we know that would never happen, I think the entire breed should be outlawed here. 

Edited by spidermike007

14 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The laws of science and physics are the same everywhere in this universe.

Don't think in terms of Thermodynamic laws but spiritual Laws, they are very similar, ie Karma and reincarnation.

6 hours ago, FarangFB said:

I don't know if I'm allowed to post like this (I'm not naming anyone) here but here is what I know so far (I have friends that personally know both the dog owner, his wife and the family of the victim):

- The dog is definitely not a Rottweiler, it looks a lot more like a Pitbull but some people are saying it's mixed

- The actual owner of the dog is a farang who is currently abroad for work, but for legal purposes it's his Thai wife's dog. They have a small child too

- The wife was negligent in leaving the gate open with a vicious beast for a dog

- The farang owner is dealing with it remotely but he is already defending the dog, saying that the dog was protecting his kid (which is strange because his kid was not in the video at all). He is clearly not willing to sacrifice the dog and being very defensive about it

- This is the 3rd time the dog has attacked. It has already killed someone's pet dog

- The attacked boy is in ICU and will have to go through reconstructive surgeries (IF he survives), most likely he will be disfigured for life

Yes they’re lying to save money and protect his visa.

And this is the weirdest looking rottweiler I’d ever seen. And yes that’s 100% the dog that attacked that little boy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSlAo-FFb8Y

• Like 1

Not only should the owner of the Rottweiler be sentenced to jail, he needs to pay all hospital bills and a hefty fine (500,000 baht) and the dog should be put down. I have seen this in America. I have friends owning aggressive dogs like Rottweiler, Pitbull, Dobermans, etc. if these dogs are handled properly they can and are excellent pets. I have warned some of my friend that their handling of their pet was not to be passive but aggressive. 

7 hours ago, Rickster said:

Completely ignorant comment, how about jail the owner and rehabilitate the dog....I wouldn't advise you go on jury service ????

Well I suspect you are coming from a position of ignorance unless you live next door to this dog. It has attacked 3 times now, I think that suffices. 

What on earth has jury service got to do with the price of lemons?

Edited by jacko45k

On 6/23/2022 at 4:50 PM, brucegoniners said:

Rotties are not "savage" dogs. If raised right they are absolutely lovely animals. 

Yes, the owner should be in jail for letting his dog run free and for the damage the dog caused. Plus he should owe the family a large financial settlement and pay for all medical bills.

Also, some responsibility goes to the family of the child. If there are stray dogs around it's their responsibility to protect their child.

Dogs don't attack unless they're provoked. Something the child did made the dog feel uncomfortable and caused it to attack. So the parents should make sure that the child is secure when out of the house. 2 year olds should also not be "running free".

We have 6, count em, 6 dogs and they stay in our yard or when they are out on walks they are on a leash. This is a concept Thai people don't seem to get. We have a neighbor who lets their dog run free. Lovely animal who we've known since he was a pup, but when he's walking around it makes our dogs nuts and causes a lot of noise.

Many Thai people want dogs, but don't know how to care for them.

The super professional media keeps getting the story and the breed wrong, It was NOT a Rotti and was NOT a pitbul, but a cross which could be pitbul or bully cross. Owner is NOT Thai guy but a Canadian and his GF was taking care of the dog.

Will not go into who GF is and what she worked, but would not trust her to take care of a turtle personally.

and also totally agree something triggers the dogs, but she should have known and kept it away from others.

Kids are kids,  and dogs are dogs, adults should have more brains than both combined, sadly because of lack of any brain from either side, little one got hurt and traumatized for life 

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 4:55 PM, JonnyF said:

Yes big/strong dogs can inflict more damage.

So what do you propose? A max weight limit? Height limit? Strength tests? 

No need. The potentially aggressive dogs with jaws that lock on and inflict maximum damage are well known. I would insist that a licence which requires jumping through a few hoops to obtain be required to own a pit bull. Maybe apply the same system for a couple of other breeds too. Most big dog breeds are relatively docile. I have seen too many pit bulls whose owners obviously have them for the wrong reasons.