Sandflies

ThaiPauly

Usually, the reaction to sandfly bites becomes less with more exposures, unless you are one of those unfortunates with a sensitized immune response.

I seem to remember you were having considerable problems after urinary surgery, is that improved now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Usually, the reaction to sandfly bites becomes less with more exposures, unless you are one of those unfortunates with a sensitized immune response.

I seem to remember you were having considerable problems after urinary surgery, is that improved now?

You have a great memory.

No my issues were not resolved, I have continual problems  with urethral stricture disease and constantly get UTI's, and one of the reasons I want to relocate , or at least have a base in HH is because  I have zero confidence in CM urologists.

We have found condos within a stones throw of Bangkok Hospital.

Before I made the move I would check out the urologists in HH.

Do you know what they are like?

7 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

You have a great memory.

No my issues were not resolved, I have continual problems  with urethral stricture disease and constantly get UTI's, and one of the reasons I want to relocate , or at least have a base in HH is because  I have zero confidence in CM urologists.

We have found condos within a stones throw of Bangkok Hospital.

Before I made the move I would check out the urologists in HH.

Do you know what they are like?

Sorry, no. Have never been to Hua Hin.

Did you try Dr. Wittawat Rawiyotai at Bangkok Hospital in Chiang Mai? He does my regular cystoscopies, I've found him to be very professional.

Failing that, I understand Bumrungrad in Bangkok is world-class, albeit very expensive.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Sorry, no. Have never been to Hua Hin.

Did you try Dr. Wittawat Rawiyotai at Bangkok Hospital in Chiang Mai? He does my regular cystoscopies, I've found him to be very professional.

Failing that, I understand Bumrungrad in Bangkok is world-class, albeit very expensive.

Yes I have been everywhere you have mentioned.

I cannot comment further

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You should be OK just walking along the beach, I never had a bite in all of the time I spent there.

I knew someone who did the old bury-my-boyfriend-in-the-sand and the next day he had dozens of nasty welts from the sandflies that were underneath the sand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Binger said:

Hello i had attack a few years back locals told me to rub coconut oil on which i did no more bit’s.

still take a bottle on any trips now great stuff ????????

Don’t laugh at me but a few days ago I heard that WD 40 stops mozzie bites itching! Dunno about sandfly bites though 

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2022 at 4:27 AM, ThaiPauly said:

Thank you Richard.

I got done very badly in Koh Chang three months ago  the bite lumps were huge and took a month to go down.

Thankful that HH is not as bad

Where was that in Koh Chang please ?i go often and love walking the beaches and never had a problem.

On 6/29/2022 at 9:27 AM, ThaiPauly said:

Thank you Richard.

I got done very badly in Koh Chang three months ago  the bite lumps were huge and took a month to go down.

Thankful that HH is not as bad

they are not sand-flies but sand flees or sea lice nasty little critters can barely see them with the naked eye, Mossy spray around your ankles works. In the past I had some 'din' delivered full of the dam things and if you pick the lumps then infection sets in, still have scars from years ago. I didn't feel the bites until the next day. Only encountered them on beaches at night while sitting around tables.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 7:03 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The worse areas that I have found for Sandflies is Koh Samet and Koh Chang.

We go to Hua Hin often and have not found the sandflies to be an issue. 

That said - between mozzies and sandflies there is plenty to bite us and make the evenings uncomfortable. 

We are vigilant with our son and ourselves (Wife and I), but in over 25 years I have not found any pattern, sometimes the go for me more, sometimes my Wife, some I’ve been eating spicy food, sometimes I haven’t... I’m not even sure its seasonal..... 

But, they’re there and the only thing that works is to keep applying the repellant with deet. 

Chumphon the worst. Samet no 2.