Ketanji Brown Jackson sworn in as first black woman on the U.S. Supreme Court

onthedarkside

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Choosing a person solely because of their race , treating people differently according to their race , is the very definition of what racism is 

Trump chose people solely because the Federalist Society told him to. You have no evidence that Biden chose her soley because she was black. There are literally tens of thousands of qualified candidates for supreme court nominations in the US. As has been pointed out to you, it's ner a case of the "best qualified" Never has been, never will be.

Trump chose junior judges because they were young and he knew they how they would vote since they had been selected by the Federalist Society for that reason.

https://www.whitehouse.senate.gov/news/release/senators-unveil-new-captured-courts-report-exposing-the-judicial-crisis-networks-central-role-in-a-scheme-to-capture-and-control-the-supreme-court

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No, she said that had no bearing on the post to which she was being appointed.

GOP fixation with how other people live their lives is not a criteria for selecting SCOTUS Justices, well, not when they aren’t doing the selection it isn’t.

She actually said "I'm not a biologist"  But it does speak volumes!

“Can you provide a definition for the word ‘woman’?” Blackburn asked.

“Can I provide a definition?” Jackson repeated the question.

“Mmhmm, yeah,” Blackburn confirmed.

“I can’t,” Jackson replied.

“You can’t?” Blackburn asked.

“Not — in this context, I’m not a biologist,” Jackson laughed.

Edited by mikeymike100
  • Like 2

Just now, Hanaguma said:

Just imagine you own a company and are looking for an employee. You post the job ad. Then, at the end you write, 

" Asians, Native Americans, Hispanics, Whites, Arabs, Inuit, Indians and men need not apply."

What kind of response do you think it would generate?

That's not what happened. The process has been explained to you.

Imagine if the company had advertised "only catholic white people need apply"? That's what you are trying to suggest here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

She actually said "I'm not a biologist"  But it does speak volumes!

“Can you provide a definition for the word ‘woman’?” Blackburn asked.

“Can I provide a definition?” Jackson repeated the question.

“Mmhmm, yeah,” Blackburn confirmed.

“I can’t,” Jackson replied.

“You can’t?” Blackburn asked.

“Not — in this context, I’m not a biologist,” Jackson laughed.

It says nothing. A far right baiting moron asked her the most politically charged, stupidest question of the century and she rightly deflected it. The question clearly wasn't pertinent to her nomination.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Just imagine you own a company and are looking for an employee. You post the job ad. Then, at the end you write, 

" Asians, Native Americans, Hispanics, Whites, Arabs, Inuit, Indians and men need not apply."

What kind of response do you think it would generate?

But it’s not. And that’s not what happened.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

I disagree, it was fair question, she couldn't answer, because she didn't want to upset a certain group of people. 

How would the question upset anybody? Do you know what she thinks a woman is?

19 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I suppose in the 1870's they would only take white males into consideration for jobs , that was when the USA was racist 

An overtly racist meme, with a number of ‘likes’ on it has very rightly been removed from this thread.

It would not have appeared at all if racism is not still an issue.

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

More to the point, does the Justice think that she herself is a woman? And if so, what does that mean?

It was just an exercise to show how stupidly Woke people feel they have to behave in certain situations and when answering certain questions. Justice Jackson is not a stupid person. She knows very well what a woman is, and that she is one. But she also knew that there was a potential political price to be paid by answering the question, so she dodged.  It was a touch cowardly, but not unexpected.

Well the senate didn't agree with you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

More to the point, does the Justice think that she herself is a woman? And if so, what does that mean?

It was just an exercise to show how stupidly Woke people feel they have to behave in certain situations and when answering certain questions. Justice Jackson is not a stupid person. She knows very well what a woman is, and that she is one. But she also knew that there was a potential political price to be paid by answering the question, so she dodged.  It was a touch cowardly, but not unexpected.

It was an unwarranted distraction tossed into the appointment hearing by a rightwinger wishing to grandstand the ‘culture wars’ that have gripped the GOP.

Totally irrelevant to her position on tge SCOTUS Bench.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It was an unwarranted distraction tossed into the appointment hearing by a rightwinger wishing to grandstand the ‘culture wars’ that have gripped the GOP.

Totally irrelevant to her position on tge SCOTUS Bench.

So why not just answer and make Senator Blackburn look stupid? It was an easy lay-up.  Yet she balked. 

And it is also VERY relevant to SCOTUS. Many decisions by the Court are based on gender and gender rights. If she cannot even define what a gender is, then how can she rule on issues relating to it?

Edited by Hanaguma
Found more relevant details
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

How would the question upset anybody? Do you know what she thinks a woman is?

"Do you know what she thinks a woman is?" No I don't and neither does she.

"How would the question upset anybody?"

Its not the question, its the potential answer. Well we are going a bit off topic, but she didn't want to upset the transgender community, because they think a woman can be anything they want. So if she had said the most reasonable answer that everyone learns in biology 101, its an adult female person that can get pregnant and have babies. You can see some folks might get upset.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, mikeymike100 said:

"Do you know what she thinks a woman is?" No I don't and neither does she.

"How would the question upset anybody?"

Its not the question, its the potential answer. Well we are going a bit off topic, but she didn't want to upset the transgender community, because they think a woman can be anything they want. So if she had said the most reasonable answer that everyone learns in biology 101, its an adult female person that can get pregnant and have babies. You can see some folks might get upset.

"Folks" getting upset is why she ducked the question. It would have made no difference to the senate vote. At least she didn't lie to senators about her voting intentions.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, the Republican nominee for Tennessee’s open U.S. Senate seat, has twice been on the list of speakers for a conference organized by an anti-Muslim activist group, and has met with leaders of a far-right Austrian political party with Nazi roots.

Blackburn, who has previously faced criticism for her association with a former leader of a neo-Confederate hate group, was listed as one of 20 confirmed speakers — including Milo Yiannoupolous and Steve Bannon — at the November 2017 Restoration Weekend, a three-day gathering hosted by the David Horowitz Freedom Center.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/tn-elections/2018/10/04/marsha-blackburn-senate-hate-group-david-horowitz/1513144002/

They are a Right wing party, not a far right party, besides even meeting Politicians from another Country doesn't make you a far right person 

• Confused 2

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

They are a Right wing party, not a far right party, besides even meeting Politicians from another Country doesn't make you a far right person 

Meeting a nazi from a foreign country does make you far right. Why did you leave that point out? Do you consider it irrelevant that she went to a foreign country to meet with a known nazi leader?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1