Ketanji Brown Jackson sworn in as first black woman on the U.S. Supreme Court

onthedarkside

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

"Folks" getting upset is why she ducked the question. It would have made no difference to the senate vote. At least she didn't lie to senators about her voting intentions.

Not answering a question, when you know the answer , can be considered to be lying 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It was an unwarranted distraction tossed into the appointment hearing by a rightwinger wishing to grandstand the ‘culture wars’ that have gripped the GOP.

Totally irrelevant to her position on tge SCOTUS Bench.

Yes but the trumpists and other adjacent right wing flotsam and jetsam eat that stuff up. They usually don't care so much about policy, but CULTURE WARS trumps. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is not true . 

She did not meet a known "nazi leader"

Anyway, its off topic and stop trying to change the topic 

Your the one that said she isn't far right when she definitely is, Nazir or not.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

They are a Right wing party, not a far right party, besides even meeting Politicians from another Country doesn't make you a far right person 

They are definitely a far right wing party now with a focus on white nationalism, white resentment, opposition to LGBT. anti voting rights for poor and minorities, opposition to abortion rights, almost no gun control,  in favor of insurrectionist Trump's big lie, pro authoritarian and anti democracy. They aren't a Mitt Romney party anymore -- not for a long time already. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

"Folks" getting upset is why she ducked the question. It would have made no difference to the senate vote. At least she didn't lie to senators about her voting intentions.

I agree!

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its a very relevant question for a potential supreme Court Judge .

In future there may be a Court case about wither transgender men can compete in Woman's sports event and her views on what a Woman is would be extremely relevant to the case

No it’s not.

‘Equal Justice Under The Law’ must by the very nature of the statement be blind to matters of Gender.

Regardless of gender all are entitled to equal Justice.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/about.aspx

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No it’s not.

‘Equal Justice Under The Law’ must by the very nature of the statement be blind to matters of Gender.

Regardless of gender all are entitled to equal Justice.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/about.aspx

True.

The issue with trans women athletes is a matter of balancing the rights of the trans women with the rights of the cis women. As a credible argument can be made that trans women have an unfair biological advantage, the clear trend for that issue is excluding trans women from competition. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

True.

The issue with trans women athletes is a matter of balancing the rights of the trans women with the rights of the cis women. As a credible argument can be made that trans women have an unfair biological advantage, the clear trend for that issue is excluding trans women from competition. 

It’s also totally off topic.

Has anybody evidence that Justice Brown Jackson is not qualified for the job?

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s also totally off topic.

Has anybody evidence that Justice Brown Jackson is not qualified for the job?

You're right. Another member said definition of a woman would matter in a trans athlete case and it really wouldn't. So I addressed that.

Of course the new justice is immensely qualified. 

• Like 1

No fault of her own but sadly Justice Brown Jackson enters an ILLEGITIMATE court thanks to the dirty tricks of McConnell and Trump to install two radical far right wing justices. Trump's third radical far right pick was done honestly. 

Supreme Court's dramatic rightward turn may undermine its political distance: Experts - ABC News (go.com)

On June 24, the Supreme Court's smallest-possible majority struck down the long-standing Roe v. Wade ruling, which had for five decades guaranteed a right to access abortion. It was a rare instance of the court -- whose transformative power on society stretches back to the early 19th century -- restricting rights it had previously extended via the Constitution.

Roe's reversal was partly possible because of the votes of the court's three most recent justices, all of whom were appointed for life by President Donald Trump -- himself elected by a minority of the population though he lost the popular vote -- and confirmed by Senate Republicans representing roughly 43 percent of the country.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If there is a future Court case where a known male sex offender was caught acting suspiciously inside a public Womans toilet and he was asked to give an explanation as to why he was in a Womans toilet .

He could just say "I'm a Woman and have every right to be in a Womans toilet" and would she, as a Judge accept that excuse ?

Inventing problems that don't exist. Sad. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, Jingthing said:

You watch too much far right wing culture wars media. Inventing problems that don't exist. Sad. 

Actually, I do not watch any "right wing culture wars media" .

I was asking a question and giving an example as to why her views on what constitutes being a Female is relevant 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I was asking a question and giving an example as to why her views on what constitutes being a Female is relevant 

Again, it is not!

It was just an obnoxious baiting showboating for right wing media question by an obnoxious culture wars far right wing republican, and she responded properly by not being baited! Smart lady but we already knew that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do you watch Fox News or Newsmax?

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If there is a future Court case where a known male sex offender was caught acting suspiciously inside a public Womans toilet and he was asked to give an explanation as to why he was in a Womans toilet .

He could just say "I'm a Woman and have every right to be in a Womans toilet" and would she, as a Judge accept that excuse ?

So sex offenders that attack women are only male or transgender?

Would it be a different problem if this know offender was acting suspiciously in a men’s toilet? 

Would it be a different problem if this known offender was acting suspiciously in a mixed gender toilet?

What’s the issue, the known offender’s gender or the known offenders behavior?

How does this even get to the Supreme Court?

Nobody has the right to commit sex crimes regardless of gender.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have no idea, that is why I asked the question .

If I knew the answer, I wouldn't have asked the question 

Your assertion that there was a predisposition to pick a black woman is correct. Not ideal, but justices can play an important role as a model  to america's youth which is a positive, and it happens there are a lot of black women who are eminently qualified to do the job and she is one of them if not the best. 

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So sex offenders that attack women are only male or transgender?

Would it be a different problem if this know offender was acting suspiciously in a men’s toilet? 

Would it be a different problem if this known offender was acting suspiciously in a mixed gender toilet?

What’s the issue, the known offender’s gender or the known offenders behavior?

How does this even get to the Supreme Court?

Nobody has the right to commit sex crimes regardless of gender.

I was just giving an example of when it may became relevant to her views about what a Female is . 

What about if a school had changing rooms where all the boys and girl got changed together in the same changing room and the Parents objected .

She may come to the decision that they are all Females , so its completely lawful for them all to get changed in the same room 

• Thanks 2

I was just giving an example of when it may became relevant to her views about what a Female is . 

What about if a school had changing rooms where all the boys and girl got changed together in the same changing room and the Parents objected .

She may come to the decision that they are all Females , so its completely lawful for them all to get changed in the same room 

More hyperbole.

Where is this ludicrous thing happening?

It’s not and it’s ludicrous to suggest it might.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Of course not. There have been many "not white men" chosen for the court. Doesn't bother me one way or another. My point was that it shouldn't be a factor either way for the President too.  And IF it is a factor for him, that demonstrates a character flaw that needs to be addressed.

...many "not white men" but not a single black woman in the 115 prior appointments. Were you making a similar fuss during that time or only now?

I do however agree that JB should have just appointed her without pre-specifying the race and gender of his appointment.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Your assertion that there was a predisposition to pick a black woman is correct. Not ideal, but justices can play an important role as a model  to america's youth which is a positive, and it happens there are a lot of black women who are eminently qualified to do the job and she is one of them if not the best. 

But why does it matter which colour she is ?

Really?

Any issue with the real decisions that the current lot have made over the past few weeks?

• Thanks 1