CCTV captures tragic death of college freshman outside gas station in Buriram

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Nang Rong police in Buriram, NE Thailand and rescue services attended an accident outside a PTT gas station on Route 24.

A college freshman called Phakhanan, 17, who was riding a Honda Wave on the inside hard shoulder was hit by a six wheel delivery truck turning into the gas station.

The truck driven by 29 year old Chingchai drove over the motorcyclist killing him instantly.

CCTV footage from the gas station caught the incident clearly. The truck driver is helping the police with their inquiries, reported Thai Rath

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 5

11 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Truck driver should have looked in his left hand mirror and the motorcyclist shouldn't have been passing on the inside at an obvious exit off the main road.

The driver I would imagine wouldn't be able to have seen the rider in that blind spot from his elevated position, I have come close a few times taking bikes out turning left, that said, the only way to know they are there is to keep track of them, that said, and unless you turn your head around to make sure, the mirror isn't always going to show you who's there because of the blind spot.

I had one overtake me on the inside shoulder the other day, he was moving and even beeped his horn at me thinking I didn't see him, fortunately for me my window was down and I gave him a look as if to say, seriously, if you want to die, do it somewhere else, he backed off and didn't attempt to pass me, why, maybe he realised he was in the wrong, I don't know, no helmet, short undone and looking drunk, just another typical suicide rider on the country road as I drive my two young kids to school and collect. I have told the wife she should take over, with her reply being, are you crazy, don't you see how many idiots there are on the road......der ????

• Like 2

The motorcyclist was wrong undertaking the truck, but the truck didn't indicate his left turn.
This probably gave the motorcyclist probably a feeling of relative safety to undertake.  

It didnt work out for the motorcyclist. RIP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So many do it without realizing how dangerous it can be. I've been riding here for 7 years and I have never ridden in the narrow nearside lane, which I call and I'm glad to see that the author does also, the hard shoulder.

I agree with you but the fact is that motorcyclists in Thailand are told to ride as close to the white line as possible. Time they revised the highway code and got them riding in the centre of the lane.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I agree with you but the fact is that motorcyclists in Thailand are told to ride as close to the white line as possible. Time they revised the highway code and got them riding in the centre of the lane.

Hardly any know the highway code here so would not make much difference. We were slammed into on a junction by a bike riding completely on the wrong side of the road. Policeman said he could do that and it was not a real junction anyway!

• Haha 2

They don’t know the meaning of the word  “ indicator” or its significance . Either not used or turned on upon or after turning . 
Defensive driving is the key but then , they also don’t understand the word “ consequences”  

On 7/1/2022 at 7:00 AM, nahkit said:

As a motorcyclist the centre of the lane is where not to ride as that is where oil and other ‘debris’ lies...  

ideally we ride in the where the car tyres roll, but that also depends on the road etc.

Riding position is of course dynamic, never on the shoulder which, in countries such as Thailand with its disregard for smaller vehicles’ riding to the side encourages the idiots in larger vehicles to ‘push you further’ out of what they perceive to be their lane. 

Its a little easier on a larger bike as the ‘idiots’ tend to respond to a ‘look’ over the shoulder if they are trying to bully you out of their way (when riding with the traffic), but on a scooter they seem to believe you shouldn’t be on the road, but on the side and seem more inclined to want to bully out off the road and out of their way. 

In this case..  (the article), I can’t see the vid so I’m not sure of the motorcyclist was under-taking the truck or if the truck over-took the motorcyclist then cut across him... But the root cause from the motorcyclists perspective was not being on the main part of the road. 

On 7/1/2022 at 1:05 PM, Brickbat said:

They don’t know the meaning of the word  “ indicator” or its significance . Either not used or turned on upon or after turning . 
Defensive driving is the key but then , they also don’t understand the word “ consequences”  

I’ve long said that Thailands traffic is an example of how the 'consequence’ is not a concept thought of or widely understood....  immediate actions, response and reaction are the every day modus-operandi of the vast majority, not only in road use but in general life... this manifests itself as a general lock of respect and consideration for and concept of safety.