Erdoğan exposes NATO's mirage of unity, now again threatening to block membership for Sweden & Finland

onthedarkside

Screenshot_1.jpg.409fedb46b0eab891074a4416894c2e2.jpg

The president of Turkey is leveraging Sweden and Finland’s desire to join Nato to further his interests abroad and at home

The relief was palpable but short-lived. On 28 June – the first day of Nato’s summit in Madrid – Turkey signed a joint memorandum with Finland and Sweden, signalling that the objections of its president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to the Nordic nations’ proposed membership had been resolved, and that he would no longer block their accession.

The Nato secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, and state leaders, including Boris Johnson and Joe Biden, hailed it as a pivotal turn that would both bolster security in Europe and strengthen the alliance. Finland and Sweden, after decades of military non-alignment, looked to be on the verge of joining Nato – a decisive blow to Russia and a moment of unity for the alliance.

Yet that unity now appears to be a mirage: on 30 June, the final day of the summit, Erdoğan reversed course, announcing that unless Sweden extradited 73 people that Ankara has deemed to be terrorists, the accession “would not happen”.

(more)

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/2022/07/turkey-erdogan-exposes-mirage-unity-nato

1260289693_NewStatesman.jpg.e075f929230e79f107b0dd802a20c246.jpg

• Haha 2

Finland hasn't received deportation lists from Turkey, says minister

Finland’s foreign affairs minister said his country had not received any new requests for deportations of Kurdish rebels, saying all cases had already been solved, after signing a deal with Turkey in order to join NATO.

The country agreed along with Sweden to process Turkey’s “pending deportation of extradition requests of terror suspects expeditiously and thoroughly,” a vaguely worded pledge that has raised fears the Nordic countries gave in too much to Ankara's wishes.

But Finnish all potential deportations would be subject to strict EU law standards, Minister for Foreign Affairs Pekka Haavisto told Euronews.

“We are not changing our legislation in Finland. Sweden is not changing its legislation. We agreed on some cooperation between our authorities, but we are following our own laws regarding human rights,” he said.

(more)

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/06/30/finland-hasnt-received-deportation-lists-from-turkey-says-minister

EuroNews.jpg.108ee6c3015522b062c7244bd62a8794.jpg

14 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

On 28 June Turkey signed a joint memorandum with Finland and Sweden, signaling that the objections of its president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to the Nordic nations’ proposed membership had been resolved, and that he would no longer block their accession.

Yet that unity now appears to be a mirage: on 30 June, the final day of the summit, Erdoğan reversed course, announcing that unless Sweden extradited 73 people that Ankara has deemed to be terrorists, the accession “would not happen”.

the check bounced

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd be quite happy to accept Sweden and Finland and expel (and wall up) Turkey - Turkey just another tin pot Islamic country in my opinion one step away from fundamentalism 

Sympathize with your statement.  However, the last thing the West needs is a <deleted> off Islamic Theocrat in a very strategic location and with Russian Air Defense Systems (& the Russian blackmail that entails).  Turkeys historical fear of Russian Geopolitical expansion could turn to further Russian cooperation, all due to a single personality (Erdogan).  Delicate diplomacy must continue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dionigi said:

Erdogan has been doing his best to roll Turkey back to the dark ages and restore a theocracy, it's time that they were removed from NATO to the benefit of all.

I don't think so, I don't like that man at all but strategically that country is very important for the NATO

53 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

I don't think so, I don't like that man at all but strategically that country is very important for the NATO

I am quite tired of all this political considerations - be it with Turkey or with the Swiss neutrality. Turkey simply does not belong to the club I subjectively feel. On the opposite side I feel that Switzerland should be part of it. No NATO and no EU for Turkey - you can see what this "strategically important" thinking brings: Headache.

• Confused 1

ABOLISH NATO! One more military dinosaur in a world that has a far bigger crisis to fight. One that requires all our coöperation if humans still want to live on this planet.

Instead of our families being attacked by murderous thugs for no reason. Yeah, I'm looking at all sides. Who's clean, really?

On 7/1/2022 at 10:52 PM, onthedarkside said:

The president of Turkey is leveraging Sweden and Finland’s desire to join Nato to further his interests abroad and at home

Why does this not surprise me?

8 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

ABOLISH NATO! One more military dinosaur in a world that has a far bigger crisis to fight. One that requires all our coöperation if humans still want to live on this planet.

Instead of our families being attacked by murderous thugs for no reason. Yeah, I'm looking at all sides. Who's clean, really?

Look at the real big picture

Islam ufo.jpg

On 7/1/2022 at 10:52 PM, onthedarkside said:

Politics, the bane of the world.

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd be quite happy to accept Sweden and Finland and expel (and wall up) Turkey - Turkey just another tin pot Islamic country in my opinion one step away from fundamentalism 

Agree 100%.  Remember ISIS ?, Turkey is the real extreme Islamic State. Erdogan wants to jail/torture/kill people who have legitimate complaints against Turkey and have opposing views.   Plus, he wants to scam the US for additional aid and weapons etc..  Yes, time to change NATO’s procedures to allow new members

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wombat said:

Erdogan is in it for the long game...

OK, Erdogan, listen: Its a GREEK coffee, not a Turkish coffee. And now get out of the NATO where you do not belong and smoke your shisha. Need some relaxation maybe.

Erdogan is a real PITA.

Recall the story of his EU membership?

They don't even want him any more, but somehow he manages to still receive large subsidies.

He is supporting Russia in their war against Ukraine.

There are many more stories I could mention, that prove the world would be better off without Erdogan.

2 hours ago, peterfranks said:

Erdogan is a real PITA.

Recall the story of his EU membership?

They don't even want him any more, but somehow he manages to still receive large subsidies.

He is supporting Russia in their war against Ukraine.

There are many more stories I could mention, that prove the world would be better off without Erdogan.

And yet Turkey has been selling drones to Ukraine. Which in the past have been very effective.

13 hours ago, wombat said:

Erdogan is in it for the long game...

Erdogan is in it for Erdogan's image of what he wishes to turn Turkey into. A theocratic fundamental state, with Erdogan firmly cemented in the top seat.

As part of that process he has been playing NATO off against Russia for the last ten years.