Indoor skydiving in Thailand

sipi

Are there any indoor skydivers here?

My son is signed off with the International Bodyflight Association to hit any tunnel worldwide with 4 others, but we haven't been to any tunnels in Thailand yet.

There is a Skyventure in Bangkok apparently, bit we've never been there.

2 minutes ago, blackcab said:

I believe that is a flight simulator experience. I would be surprised if they had indoor skydiving there as the premises are located on the second floor of the Gateway shopping mall in Ekkamai, which lack the required height.

Yeah the information available online seems a bit ambiguous. There are some military tunnels around, but I'm not sure about public ones.

10 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Is it really fair to call it indoor "skydiving"? With regular skydiving if you screw up you hit the ground at about 120 mph.  With this big indoor fan the worst that happens is you gotta put a few more coins in the coin box right?  

To be fair - and really get the same thrill - they'd have to leave the fan blades exposed. Unfortunately that would be a bit hard on the staff who have to clean the machine after each use ???? 

The flying is simular, and great to improve difficult moves and get airtime. 

Skydiving have not been a survival game for a long time, its now a sport with many different diciplines. 

When I started skydiving, it was one fatality each 36 000 jumps, now it is 200 000 or so I believe. 

When I started base jumping it was maybe 500 - 1000 to one, now I believe the same since it is an unregulated activity and really not possible to have any statistic data on it, but I know from the events we organised around the world, it was 10 000 jumps to one for awhile. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

I have never been to any tunnel in Thailand, in fact never heard about one, but due to this list there is several. 

https://indoorskydivingsource.com/tunnels/thailand/

@Wuvu2

Thanks. Yeah that one comes up on the official International Bodyflight Association members page. I've just never met anyone who actually flew there. I might track it down and post a video.

Screenshot_2022-07-05-19-04-14-73.jpg

Screenshot_2022-07-05-19-04-29-51.jpg

Edited by sipi
  • Like 1

I wish they had wind tunnels around when I was learning to skydive.

Opening a 24' paracomander and doing the parachute landing roll without breaking a bone was a good day. These days my 11 year old is a better skydiver than I ever was.

• Like 2

Judging by the huge number of Parachuting Wings displayed on all the military uniforms and police uniforms and some kindergarten teachers.....  I guess there must be an easy way to get qualified in Thailand......

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Judging by the huge number of Parachuting Wings displayed on all the military uniforms and police uniforms and some kindergarten teachers.....  I guess there must be an easy way to get qualified in Thailand......

I've seen quite a few of those parachute training towers even in the remote areas where they jump off and slide down a rope. Not exactly the real thing, but I suspect it goes towards their wings.

• Like 1

Just returned from 2 weeks of indoor skydiving in Brisbane, and a little visit to a local dropzone.

Skydiving is tame compared to tunnel flying. Smashing your face into a glass tube over and over again at over 200kph compared to freefalling with basically nothing to hit, with 2 parachutes on your back and an automatic opening device. No wonder it is the newest addictive sport.

On 7/5/2022 at 4:02 PM, Wuvu2 said:

It's right next door to the place with the indoor scuba diving.

image.jpeg.d45e3d33cb523ec867f76a47e1559d49.jpeg

My first scuba lessons were indoors. I don't know anyone who was thrown into the North Sea without pool lessons.

1 hour ago, bbko said:

This in Koh Samui

Aha. Wow thanks. I'll look it up. I wonder if that is a military one. Wearing the old style baggy suit (and altimeter?).

On 7/6/2022 at 9:01 AM, sipi said:

I've seen quite a few of those parachute training towers even in the remote areas where they jump off and slide down a rope. Not exactly the real thing, but I suspect it goes towards their wings.

Yes, I was given a pair of those wings after jumping off a 10 meter tower at a Scout/English Camp!  I have actually jumped out of an airplane doing a static line jump, but I didn't get any wings for that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sipi said:

Just returned from 2 weeks of indoor skydiving in Brisbane, and a little visit to a local dropzone.

Skydiving is tame compared to tunnel flying. Smashing your face into a glass tube over and over again at over 200kph compared to freefalling with basically nothing to hit, with 2 parachutes on your back and an automatic opening device. No wonder it is the newest addictive sport.

You still have to do the right thing when things happening.

A spinning main ending up entangled in the reserve gives you the little extra.

On 7/4/2022 at 9:57 AM, sipi said:

Yeah the information available online seems a bit ambiguous. There are some military tunnels around, but I'm not sure about public ones.

https://indoorskydivingsource.com/tunnels/chaijinda-wind-tunnel/

This is the newest facility (in Cha-am). Military, but I believe open to civilians as well (friend of mine sometimes flies a Porter for one of the skydive ops here and told me about it).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

Yes, I was given a pair of those wings after jumping off a 10 meter tower at a Scout/English Camp!  I have actually jumped out of an airplane doing a static line jump, but I didn't get any wings for that.

The suit used was standard for the low speed fans which gives more drag and more lift. No altimeter I can see

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

The suit used was standard for the low speed fans which gives more drag and more lift. No altimeter I can see

I haven't seen a slow suit since then nineties.

Gawd that bloke in the slow suit on Koh Samui was all over the place. My 11 year old has better Bodyflight control than that. He's one of his short videos of one of his instructors.

youtube.com/watch?v=sux1Kt7HUU4

Not sure if the link works.

Edited by sipi

52 minutes ago, sipi said:

I haven't seen a slow suit since then nineties.

Gawd that bloke in the slow suit on Koh Samui was all over the place. My 11 year old has better Bodyflight control than that. He's one of his short videos of one of his instructors.

youtube.com/watch?v=sux1Kt7HUU4

Not sure if the link works.

Nice clean flight in a tunnel with clean steady airflow as well. 

Been a few times to Genting highland in Malaysia early 2000 who used the same suits, and the wind tunnel reminds me of that one from what I can see.

Back in the days when travelled asia and jumped off things

867C15AF-28EC-458C-968E-2B19B9A9414C.jpeg

B025957D-D96B-4EEB-AB67-079FCA7C1F79.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sipi said:

My 11 year old has better Bodyflight control than that.

Kids learn quick, and quite a few instructors have never skydived either. Cant say anithing about this instructor, but his moves is still quite advanced even for skydivers to perform without a decent amount of hours behind as experience, but most 11 years will manage to learn faster than an adult.Im sure your 11 year old son would kick my ass in the tunnel easy, even I got 5 hours warm up to refresh my skills. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Kids learn quick, and quite a few instructors have never skydived either. Cant say anithing about this instructor, but his moves is still quite advanced even for skydivers to perform without a decent amount of hours behind as experience, but most 11 years will manage to learn faster than an adult.Im sure your 11 year old son would kick my ass in the tunnel easy, even I got 5 hours warm up to refresh my skills. 

All the tunnel instructors in Brisbane are also skydiving instructors. I actually think it's a part of their licence requirements.

Anyway, the state championships are in 6 weeks. Wish my kid well.

6 minutes ago, sipi said:

All the tunnel instructors in Brisbane are also skydiving instructors. I actually think it's a part of their licence requirements.

Anyway, the state championships are in 6 weeks. Wish my kid well.

I believe some places they have tunnel exercise before doing AFF course (accelerated free fall) to get some airfeeling before jumping off planes. I do not think being skydiver is necessary to become an tunnel instructor, and many of the best now have never skydived before, but they grow up training in the tunnel from very young.