10 year Long-Term Resident (LTR) visa to make living in Thailand “easier and less bureaucratic”

webfact

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A pensioner averaging $6,666 dollars a month for the $80k a year amount is considered wealthy for applying for the LTR. Anywhere else on the world they would be just getting by.  Do I qualify, sure, but how is an 80k pension considered wealthy. I guess when they look at it as over 200k Thb a month compared to the average Thai your rich beyond belief. Hello hansum man.    

Ah, if it were only so … I could have afforded to be retired in my homeland. As it is, out priced in my own country, I retired to a lower cost country where my monthly sustainable budget is $2400 USD ($1385 of that from SS). An economic refugee able to have a comfortable working middle class retirement here in Thailand. Perhaps a bit of economic reality it’s is involved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well in the US, California, if I did not have my investments and was living there full time my cost of living with all of the price increases would drain 85% of my pension each month. Add in if buying a house still and making payments your living a non wealthy life.  Just read an article where to be well off and able to live in many coastal big cities you need several million to be seen as wealthy.

That's the key, I have no debts and no rent as I own both my properties. I just spent 4 months in Thailand eating out for every meal and I struggled to spend 60,000 baht a month (US$20k per year)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

Anyway, I'll try to stay optimistic and withhold judgement until the real, specific requirements are announced. 

I cannot be optimistic, as health insurance is only one spanner IOs will throw into TBI's wheel. Remember what they did to Brits, and others, who wanted extensions based on monthly income. The came up with a totally anal requirement where you had to show 12 monthly identical payments into a Thai bank account. Even if it sounds easy many ended up having all sorts of problems. Most of those were scraping by on small pensions that would never be liable to any significant income tax, but I let you imagine the consequences this could have on pensions of more than 200000 THB a month. Under the current tax law we just cannot transfer larger pensions the year we earn them if we want to stay safe from the Tax office.

• Like 1

i don't understand why thailand doesn't allow foreigners to buy single family houses or townhouses. if it is enabled, thailand can substantially increase its  revenue. i don't mind pay higher property tax.

Edited by capcase
  • Like 1

Health insurance is key factor for me.

If the US$50,000 coverage can be provided by a foreign health insurance provider, I will consider the LTR. Currently, my foreign health insurance is paying 50k baht per month for my medical treatment to a Thai hospital. My annual premium nor age is not affected by this cost.

• Confused 1