10 year Long-Term Resident (LTR) visa to make living in Thailand “easier and less bureaucratic”

webfact

On 7/6/2022 at 7:36 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Well in the US, California, if I did not have my investments and was living there full time my cost of living with all of the price increases would drain 85% of my pension each month. Add in if buying a house still and making payments your living a non wealthy life.  Just read an article where to be well off and able to live in many coastal big cities you need several million to be seen as wealthy.

$80k a year doesn't make one wealthy, but for a single pensioner, it's a LOT better than just getting by in most countries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think there is quite a lot of misconception that these immigration programs and new restrictions are not without much thought. Ask yourself this. Who brings in more revenue? A person that stays in country and takes advantage of the cheap living, cheap food etc. Or Tourists visting for two weeks, who pay top dollar for hotels, meals, transportation, sight seeing and use of the airport? Do the restrictions on the regular LTV folks now seem to make a bit more sense? Thailand seems to be making an effort to "weed out" the bad actors that land on her shores.. dudes trying to evade prosecution, scammers, out right thieves etc.. Fairly recently there has been a big Indian phone scam setup operating right in Pattaya swindling thousands from folks in the USA, Australian and UK.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2022 at 11:41 PM, capcase said:

i don't understand why thailand doesn't allow foreigners to buy single family houses or townhouses. if it is enabled, thailand can substantially increase its  revenue. i don't mind pay higher property tax.

I have read that the property ownership ban by foreigners was started to prevent Japanese from buying land after WWII. Not sure if it is true.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:41 PM, capcase said:

i don't understand why thailand doesn't allow foreigners to buy single family houses or townhouses. if it is enabled, thailand can substantially increase its  revenue. i don't mind pay higher property tax.

I have read that the property ownership ban by foreigners was started to prevent Japanese from buying land after WWII. Not sure if it is true.

If the hurdles were not so high, it would be appealing.

Thailand greatly over estimates it's own appeal to the wealthy. They have too many other options, which offer law and order, a lack of kangaroo courts, traffic safety, reasonably priced wine imported cars, and luxury goods, better transportation options such as helicopters and private jets, and so much more. 

Let's face it. How many of us would be living in Thailand, if it were not so reasonable, cost wise? 

It is likely there will be under 10 applicants. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

1. Wealthy people have very little interest in living or working in Thailand, (or even visiting as tourists) with very few exceptions. 

2. The fools coming up with these plans, have no connection to reality, little skill or smarts, and have obviously done very little traveling outside Thailand. Either that, or their heads are swelled up so large, they should be in an emergency room, instead of an office. 

3. Thailand is once again, vastly over estimating it's appeal, it's ability to attract the rich, and it's place in the world, which is diminishing by the day. 

4. If these goons were to have any success at attracting rich expats, some major sacrifices would have to be made. Lowering luxury, imported car, and wine taxes would be a good place to start. Then, clean up the air, water and land. Then pay some attention to traffic safety. In other words, wake up. 

5. The economy here is decimated. Few even want to invest here. Real estate is very risky now, unless you are buying at 45% off. And local buying power is limited. 

6. Thailand desperately needs new leadership. Yesterday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

1. Wealthy people have very little interest in living or working in Thailand, (or even visiting as tourists) with very few exceptions. 

2. The fools coming up with these plans, have no connection to reality, little skill or smarts, and have obviously done very little traveling outside Thailand. Either that, or their heads are swelled up so large, they should be in an emergency room, instead of an office. 

3. Thailand is once again, vastly over estimating it's appeal, it's ability to attract the rich, and it's place in the world, which is diminishing by the day. 

4. If these goons were to have any success at attracting rich expats, some major sacrifices would have to be made. Lowering luxury, imported car, and wine taxes would be a good place to start. Then, clean up the air, water and land. Then pay some attention to traffic safety. In other words, wake up. 

5. The economy here is decimated. Few even want to invest here. Real estate is very risky now, unless you are buying at 45% off. And local buying power is limited. 

6. Thailand desperately needs new leadership. Yesterday.

I will be the first one to shoot down your 1st bullet point. Living here as you know is a lot less of a problem with a LTR visa for me, and tge US is not looking very good to return to anytime soon. With that said, I can travel in and out with no issues, 1 year reporting and no more 90 days as well as using the money I had stuck in the bank here to make more money on which to travel.  

The LTR visa may not tick boxes for some, but for those that applied and received them they are a great new addition. 

Many have applied and been issued the LTR-P and LTR work from Thaind visas.

You may not agree, but it is what it is. Yes the luxury tax may be an issue for some yet I don't let it bother me when I buy wine or other items. Sure I could go buy that purse for my partner elsewhere but then Thailand will want it's cut when I bring it into the country.

Perhaps I have been in Thailand too long, but I cannot believe any Cabinet statement promising to make my life easier or less bureaucratic. Thais have a genius for changing things (how many other countries change their immigration laws every week....ok I am exaggerating a little)....but they rarely if ever make things better, easier or less bureaucratic.

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Perhaps I have been in Thailand too long, but I cannot believe any Cabinet statement promising to make my life easier or less bureaucratic. Thais have a genius for changing things (how many other countries change their immigration laws every week....ok I am exaggerating a little)....but they rarely if ever make things better, easier or less bureaucratic.

With this new LTR Visa my life has become less stressful, no 90 day reports, no worrying about an annual extension, no worrying about money in the bank, the annual letter and so on.  I have a 10 year visa, 10 years of multiple re-entries and fast track if traveling....sure beats the annual extension route or border hopping.

On 7/5/2022 at 4:19 PM, ikke1959 said:

If you are a wealthy and well educated why should you choose a long term visa for Thailand?

A big reason is that Thailand just looks at money in the bank.

Most other countries you need income to qualify. Passive documented income, not just investments or savings. You can be very wealthy and they still want to see a pension, interest statement, dividends, etc.

Other countries also often ask for a property purchase or investment in gov’t projects, etc.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I will be the first one to shoot down your 1st bullet point. Living here as you know is a lot less of a problem with a LTR visa for me, and tge US is not looking very good to return to anytime soon. With that said, I can travel in and out with no issues, 1 year reporting and no more 90 days as well as using the money I had stuck in the bank here to make more money on which to travel.  

The LTR visa may not tick boxes for some, but for those that applied and received them they are a great new addition. 

Many have applied and been issued the LTR-P and LTR work from Thaind visas.

You may not agree, but it is what it is. Yes the luxury tax may be an issue for some yet I don't let it bother me when I buy wine or other items. Sure I could go buy that purse for my partner elsewhere but then Thailand will want it's cut when I bring it into the country.

We could debate those points all day long. We disagree. And Thailand gets no cut on personal effects brought into the country, like a new Prada handbag that cost $4,500 in London or Dubai, and around $11, 900 in Bangkok. The handbag pays for the trip! 

Only ridiculously desperate and overly rich people buy luxury goods and over priced luxury cars in Thailand. 

Edited by spidermike007

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We could debate those points all day long. We disagree. And Thailand gets no cut on personal effects brought into the country, like a new Prada handbag that cost $4,500 in London or Dubai, and around $11, 900 in Bangkok. The handbag pays for the trip! 

Only ridiculously desperate and overly rich people buy luxury goods and over priced luxury cars in Thailand. 

That is true.

My wife on her recent trip carried four (don't tell customs) Louis Vuitton bags for friends. 

Two of them were purses, $500 a piece for Gods sake which she had in carry on. One handbag she carried, and the other handbag in checked baggage

As ridiculously priced as they are, still a fraction of the price in Siam Paragon

Edited by GinBoy2