EU Lawmakers Remove Last Hurdle to Label Gas, Nuclear as Green

Scott

EU Lawmakers Remove Last Hurdle to Label Gas, Nuclear as Green

Everything You Need to Know About Nuclear Power Plants

European Union lawmakers voted to allow natural gas and nuclear energy to be labeled as green investments, removing the last major barrier to potentially billions of euros of funding from environmental investors.

Parliament fell short of the 353 votes needed to reject the inclusion of gas and nuclear technology in the EU’s so-called Taxonomy, a list of economic activities deemed in line with the bloc’s transition to climate neutrality. Barring an unlikely objection from member states, it now means the regulation will start at the beginning of next year.

The vote means that new gas plants will be able to tap into a fresh pool of money from environmental, social and governance investors, albeit for a limited time and only when those facilities are replacing coal-fired stations.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-06/eu-lawmakers-remove-last-hurdle-for-gas-nuclear-as-green

image.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Credo said:

I am 100% for renewable sources of energy but I am also realistic enough to know it cannot be achieved overnight.  Nuclear can be produced reasonably safely if we stop cutting corners in construction.  

As we transition to renewables, we will still need to accept the use of fossil fuels for as long as it takes.

You should get a job with the Biden administration, however I think you're over qualified.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whatever one thinks about the advisability of using nuclear and natural gas, that was not the issue. The issue is whether or not they are green. While a sort of case can be made for nuclear, the extraction of natural gas is an ongoing environmental disaster.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1