Crazy Flight Prices

KhaoYai

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Well it seems that high flight prices are set to continue.

There is clearly more than one reason for the current pricing being so expensive but I suspect demand is the biggest contributor.  Many people in the West haven't travelled for 2 years or so and are keen to start taking holidays again.

Of course fuel prices have an effect as does the fact that the airlines have lost huge amounts during the Covid 19 pandemic - but so have many of us.

I suspect (hope) that once people have satisfied their travel lust again and spent the money they saved through not being able to travel without restrictions that we may see, not a return to 2019 prices but considerable reductions.

At the moment, airlines are pricing high and getting it - all my recent flights have been full.  My last flight - MAN-DOH-BKK and back cost over 72,000 baht. That's the highest price I've ever paid and it hurt.  I wasn't able to be flexible and of course it was school holiday time in the UK so a little of what I paid was down to that but there's no getting away from the fact that it was bloody expensive. I saw cheaper prices advertised but every one of them was not actually available, was on multiple airlines or had very long total durations.

It seems that Christmas this year is also going to be the same - again, I can't be flexible, well not much anyway and at the moment for MAN-BKK-MAN, 14 December to 2 January I'm getting prices around 56,000 baht.

Its tempting to hang on as there is a strong possibility that those prices will drop but I have a court case to attend before Christmas so I really need to book something soon.

The last time I flew at Christmas - I got a good deal by arriving on New Year's Eve and I've also obtained sub 30,000 prices by flying on Christmas day - not possible this time.

I just can't see this continuing - it will surely hit the recovery of Thailand's tourist trade.  Imagine you're a family with - 2 adults and couple of kids over 12, your total flight bill is going to be around 225,000 - Western families will just book Spain or Greece instead.

I use Travelsupermarket - if anyone knows a site that's finds cheaper prices that actually exist, please post details. Please don't post anything from theflightsguru - set of con artists - flights either not available, don't include luggage or both.

Whoops, today the price has gone up to 64,500!!

image.png.537a01162c46b4993de9517f2a1c8c88.png

Not suggesting that you book with them; just illustrating that you can get cheaper than you indicate.

21 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

image.png.537a01162c46b4993de9517f2a1c8c88.png

Not suggesting that you book with them; just illustrating that you can get cheaper than you indicate.

Did those prices include luggage?  Many advertised prices now do not include cabin or checked baggage - even though it must be extremely rare for people travelling long-haul to fly without any luggage.

I actually found some fares even cheaper than the above but the were code shares  - I believe then can be risky and I steer clear of them.  The Thai flight must surely be a code share as they don't fly in to Manchester.

Are those flights on my dates?

Edited by KhaoYai

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Did those prices include luggage?  Many advertised prices now do not include cabin or checked baggage - even though it must be extremely rare for people travelling long-haul to fly without any luggage.

I actually found some fares even cheaper than the above but the were code shares  - I believe then can be risky and I steer clear of them.  The Thai flight must surely be a code share as they don't fly in to Manchester.

Are those flights on my dates?

Yes, 20kg.

Yes.

Anyone know what has happened to Scoot airs Bangkok to London Gatwick service, the route can no longer be booked on the scoot website for next three months and no official notice of cancellation of the service.

Both Bangkok contact numbers on the website not working.

On 8/25/2022 at 9:45 AM, sapson said:

Anyone know what has happened to Scoot airs Bangkok to London Gatwick service, the route can no longer be booked on the scoot website for next three months and no official notice of cancellation of the service.

Both Bangkok contact numbers on the website not working.

https://www.flyscoot.com/en/plan/before-you-fly/scoot-flight-schedule

Not there.

15 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Yep went right through there site, does allow you to put dates in with LGW London destination but comes up no flights anytime in next few months.

What was the cheapest option seemingly is no more.

Even Finnair are showing one price then its extra 4k baht 100 pounds for a 20k bag plus seat reservation.

Always remember to activate Surfshark (or similar) set to a low income country before you run flight comparisons

I will say right away before the usual suspect pipes up that it doesn't work every time but certainly does on numerous occasions....frequently see 5% reductions compared to switching it off and using a different browser after clearing the cache

• Like 1

Booking well in advance, being flexible saves.

flights with very long layovers (around 24h) can be some 10k cheaper per leg. 

Airside and landside capsules can be found on agoda for 50% discount. Some 2000b/10h.

Lounges for shower/food/drink some $60/6h.

Hotels near airports, sometimes free shuttle or public transport, sometimes breakfast, from 1500b.

I did several times some 12h layovers, doable. 

I might be forced to take 24h layover on the next trip. New experience to my travel.

Many airports do have free showers, filtered water, cheapish eateries, places for rest.

40 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Booking well in advance, being flexible saves.

Well I'm going to take a little gamble - I'm going to leave it a bit longer. Not as big a gamble as I normally take and usually win through. I have a court date and must be there otherwise I would leave it longer.

My gamble is that people will be put off by the current prices - the airlines may have been lucky with high demand recently but that's bound to fade before too long.  Allowing for fuel price increases I'd guess that if it wasn't for Covid, Christmas prices should be around £900. 

The airlines adjust prices according to how sales are going.  I'm hoping they're still bouyed by the recent high demand and think that will continue.  Christmas is a time when families take their holidays because everyone is off at the same time. I can't imagine too many familes with say 2 kids over 12 will be prepared to lay out £6000 ish just for their flights.

Nobody really knows what demand will be by Christmass but I'm prepared to wait a little while longer.

A couple of samples from today's prices (MAN 15 Dec - BKK 2Jan):

With acceptable durations and including luggage:

Qatar £1481

Etihad £1411

With longer durtations:

Swiss £1242 (18h 55min outbound/25h 45min inbound)

Not so long ago, those prices were someone's telephone number!

www.travelsupermarket.com

xmass is high season, if you delay, you pay well over 72k, which you have payed recently.

Summer holidays are spread over 2 months. Can be domestic, because of hot weather, caravan and even a tent will do.

Xmass is spread over only several weeks. Unless snow and mountains for skiing, some other winter sports, not much else to do - and must be in a proper winter-proof accommodation.

That's why xmass prices are over summer prices. 

And because xmass is a family holiday, people visit their family homes, countries of origin, their parents and relatives. Not necessarily recreational holidays. There are tens of thousands rich thai students coming back home or their parents visiting them in europe for boxing day 80% luxury goods bargains.

Didn't you write, that within a very short time prices jumped by 8.5k?

"I'm getting prices around 56,000 baht. ... Whoops, today the price has gone up to 64,500!!"

There are airlines opening new routes and they have to give good price to enter into market, but situation is still far from being stabilised 

Edited by internationalism

7 hours ago, internationalism said:

Didn't you write, that within a very short time prices jumped by 8.5k?

"I'm getting prices around 56,000 baht. ... Whoops, today the price has gone up to 64,500!!"

Yes I did but we are still a way off and I'm still going to wait a while.  Before Covid I travelled to Thailand roughly every 8 weeks and never booked early - simply because I couldn't. I did that for over 5 years. I wasn't booking for a once a year holiday where I had the luxury of knowing my exact dates - I only knew my dates a couple of weeks beforehand. Pre-covid I'd say the average price I paid was £550 so I'd say I did OK with late booking.  I don't expect to get anywhere near that price now due to fuel prices - I'm just illustrating that booking late can mean cheaper prices - there's always been an argument over booking early or late - late's always worked for me.

I know how airline pricing works, I used to watch them very closely.  Granted, times have changed but the bonanza the airlines have had since countries opened up won't last forever.  I suspect that many people who would normally travel at Christmas won't be doing this year due to the massive cost of living increases.  I know people that usually have a summer and a winter holiday and some are already saying they're staying home this Christmas. Many people have been prepared to pay excessive prices because they haven't been able to travel for 2 years but that must end.

Knowing when it will end is the gamble and its one I'm prepared to take. I'll keep my eye on the prices and if they don't seem to be dropping in 4 to 6 weeks time, I'll just book (if I haven't done so already).  If I have to take it on the chin as a result,  then so be it.

Edited by KhaoYai

• 1 month later...

Update:

Still haven't booked.

Prices for my dates which have changed (14 Dec - 2 Jan) are varying daily between £1400 and £1500.  Interestingly, looking on Qatar's website and going part way through the booking process reveals that all 4 legs are little over 25% full.  That confirms my suspicion that people are simply not booking at these prices - Thailand is going to be the loser in this.

I will have to book soon as I have a court date in December and I can't take the risk but if this was my normal travel and I could be flexible, I'd certainly be waiting - surely they won't be wanting to run those flights half full or even 25% full if things don't change?

Out of interest I also checked prices for October when they are usually low and all the flights that came up, with reasonable flight times were over £1000. At that time of year I'm used to paying between £450 and £500.

Not sure when this will end but its not doing Thailand a bit of good.

Edited by KhaoYai

I have a cousin who's worked in the airline industry for a long time.  Used to be with BA but now navigation section in Emirates Flight Operations. He's told me that Emirates are looking at reducing capacity in 2023.  Seems strange but its apparently the case - reducing frequency on some routes and using B777 in place of A380. No idea about UK-BKK routes but his comment to me was that prices will only be going up.

Wife and I used to travel a great deal before Covid - usually with Emirates. Last couple of trips this year we found cheap promotional fares with other airlines - thy do pop up from time to time but you have to be very flexible on dates and they will hit you hard if you want to take baggage.

58 minutes ago, stuarty said:

If you can change the currency option to pay in another currency (if you have it) then it will be cheaper than paying in pounds.

Yes but you need to have funds available in that currency - if not you need to transfer and exchange rates for the £ are not good at the moment.

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes but you need to have funds available in that currency - if not you need to transfer and exchange rates for the £ are not good at the moment.

Only 0.5bht less than last month.

Last month 42.7, this morning 42.2

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 1:26 PM, LALes said:

I started wearing a mask on all flights a few years before Covid.  I was getting colds every time I flew a long haul.

Too many bozos out there.  Gotta protect yourself.  I'm used to it now.

I wear a mask onboard while sleeping only, just a cloth one, it's scientifically near useless, but not totally useless.  Don't forget hand hygiene too. Aircraft bits that the self-loading freight touch are filthy!

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

. . . . going part way through the booking process reveals that all 4 legs are little over 25% full.

How do you tell that?

59 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Use a credit card with no foreign currency charges.

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Out of interest I also checked prices for October when they are usually low and all the flights that came up, with reasonable flight times were over £1000. At that time of year I'm used to paying between £450 and £500.

I think the days of low air fares are gone. With the cost of fuel, worldwide inflation etc, I think we just have to get used to it. And airlines need to make a decent profit to remain viable.

12 hours ago, it is what it is said:

was recently booking a return flight from the uk, sure most of the prices were around 900+GBP, but shopping around i got one on qatar for 706 GBP, dates i wanted, short stopover. sorted. there are decent prices out there.

Try finding one now.  Depending on how late in September you travelled - £706, whilst good in the current climate, is not particularly cheap.  I flew with Etihad in June/July for £459 yet just a month later I had to pay £1677 - not so long ago you could get a business class seat for that. Of course, that was in school holiday time - always one of the most exepensive times but never £1677.

I'm checking flights every day and yes, ocassionally a cheap flight with decent timings will show up but its the exception rather than the norm. Plus you need to be flexible - not every body can be.

Edited by KhaoYai

12 hours ago, internationalism said:

just yesterday check on bkk-fra for november from 28k bht. Direct one from 33k with TG.

That is much cheaper than all summer.

I would think TG would be running sale sometimes shortly. The last time in june their fares were from some 25k direct to europe.

But xmass/new year is always excluded from sales

You're quoting prices from BKK not to BKK,