Crazy Flight Prices

KhaoYai

58 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

. The same agent told me that as well as the increased fuel costs, airlines are trying to recoup some of the money the lost when the pandemic brought most travel to a halt.

Most airlines are still running on a reduced schedule, which when booking only 3 weeks before travel is obviously going to be extremely expensive.

If you look at the cost of flights mid August you will see they are nowhere near those costs EVA air direct at 617 pounds as an example and hundreds of flights under 600 pounds. From London Heathrow

Edited by Dene16
addition

Yes crazy prices.  Of course the price of fuel is a big component.  I paid a huge amount for a BKK to AKL return in June. The worst part is, for most airlines less flights on smaller planes means that they are chock-full. And to add to that, masks are no longer compulsory on many flights. I travelled a few times during Covid, and a plane where everyone had had a PCR test within 72 hrs of boarding, and everyone wearing masks, well it was actually quite a safe environment. Not any more, now it is very risky place to be.

I also have a Qatar LON-BKK return, of which the final leg is due to be flown later this month. Fee-free changes, great I thought. Sure there is no fee but there is the fare difference - it will cost me about £250 to change the return to a different day. When I do a new search the is no fare difference, but when I bought the ticket several months ago the fares were cheap. So they charge you the difference between the current fare and what you paid. I'm simply gong to get a full refund on that return leg (also part of their promise, done that before) and buy the best deal when I'm ready. Even now, Qatar are way more expensive than direct flights with Thai and EVA. Ridiculous, Qatar used to have very good prices - not any more.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Qatar used to have very good prices - not any more.

Middle Eastern airlines are making a killing at the moment.

The war in Ukraine means that long haul have to avoid the usual air space. So flights are longer and more expensive. Then you also have the increased fuel costs etc etc.

The airlines in the Middle East are the shortest route now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The flight I ended up with was available through various agents with prices from £1610 of to around £1700. 

See cheapflight (currently) listing flights via dehli - stop over 4 hours - for £944. Think if the price is real I can live with Delhi for 4 hours for £700 !

When you take into consideration that BA alone have canceled around 30,000 of flights over the next three months, it makes you wonder what travails the OTHER airlines are going through as they try and juggle, fuel costs, aircraft, air crew and ground staff availability with jammed up airports.

I had quick squiz at the "3 weeks from now" market. For a one-way flight with stopover and a reasonable flight time, only Turkish seems to be close with £808 for a morning departure and a 15h 5m (1h 35m stopover in IST) or same price for the afternoon flight with duration 16h 55m and a easier 3h 25m stopover.

endjuly.jpg.e1f2aa81d78fae89992987f1ec970c45.jpg

I just plugged in a r/t with a return in 90-days and the prices changed markedly.

endjulyoct.jpg.ceced4875c2b4d01cb66792cf89316b6.jpg

Turkish come across cheapest AND with best flight duration (minimal layovers).

I use ita matrix, then hit up the chosen airline website directly.

Good luck!

Edited by NanLaew

34 minutes ago, LALes said:

I started wearing a mask on all flights a few years before Covid.  I was getting colds every time I flew a long haul.

Too many bozos out there.  Gotta protect yourself.  I'm used to it now.

Yes but it doesn't necessarily save you. If the person sitting next to you for 10 hrs has Covid, and isn't wearing a mask, then you're very likely to get it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Fee-free changes, great I thought. Sure there is no fee but there is the fare difference - it will cost me about £250 to change the return to a different day.

I just altered the return leg of my Emirates flight from 7th Sept to 25th Aug and the cost was 0 THB.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

I just altered the return leg of my Emirates flight from 7th Sept to 25th Aug and the cost was 0 THB.

Grrr....  Qatar rip-off then. I'm about to contact them again my flight is 19th July and I want to move it into August.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

When you take into consideration that BA alone have canceled around 30,000 of flights over the next three months,

You need to keep things in perspective, the majority of the BA flight cancellations were short haul.

It is the holiday side of the business, as with other UK airlines, that has been oversold.

I had an Easyjet flight from Gatwick to Belfast cancelled end of May, went by train and ferry, 18 hours instead of an hour and a half.

What people do need to watch out for is flying with BA next month, good chance their baggage handlers will  be on strike.

• Like 1

I like to see the good side of things. I know from endless personal experience that if you buy the last economy class ticket on a flight, which will be very pricey, then there is a very high chance that the airline algorithm will give you a free upgrade to business class. 

Just now, Gaccha said:

I like to see the good side of things. I know from endless personal experience that if you buy the last economy class ticket on a flight, which will be very pricey, then there is a very high chance that the airline algorithm will give you a free upgrade to business class. 

How would you know it was the last economy ticket please?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How would you know it was the last economy ticket please?

If you are buying it via an agent then they'll know. If not, it becomes obvious because it's usually around 500 pounds more than the 2nd to last ticket. The price rises become extraordinary.

EDIT: I should explain that flights are deliberately overbooked because the airline can presume a 2 to 3% dropout rate. So, several people can purchase the last seat. On the day of a full flight, people will be induced to give up their seats with offers for future flights or the algorithm will select them for removal, or desirable customers will be upgraded.

Edited by Gaccha
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, sandyf said:

With Qatar during the pandemic I changed my ticket twice at zero cost. So I was shocked to be quoted a big price now.

My thoughts were this:

Price today of your original flight date = Y. 

Price today of the new flight date = X. 

Fare diff  = X -Y. 

But how Qatar are doing it is that they credit the price you originally paid against the price of the new flight.

I can't get through to the chat again at the moment, but when I do I'm going to challenge them on it. Frankly their guarantee is useless. The website tells me how much I get for a refund. I can then buy a direct one-way flight with Thai or EVA,  and that is CHEAPER (and better) than what Qatar want. Highway robbers. I've been really happy with Qatar up to this point.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 2

Well, they want about £450 to change my return flight from BKK to LON. About £700 for the new ticket less £255 credit for what I paid. I promptly cancelled it and will get the best deal when I'm ready. Currently EVA is about £450. Lesson learned with Qatar.

Edited by Tuvoc

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I ended up paying £1677 (economy)

You don't give departure airport in UK, you don't give dates of travel, you don't mention if that fare allows rebooking / cancellation... what do you want people to say?

• Thanks 1

Why don't you book directly with the carrier?

Its also easier to make changes to your flight. 

An agent wants a commission.

3 weeks is a fairly short window to purchase airline tickets (I'm sure you know).

Airline prices are really expensive now for sure!

Looks like you have no choice.  

Enjoy your trip nonetheless. 

I have traveled with Qatar Airways many times over the years.

In February, I bought a return ticket, the second leg of which (the return portion) I have

changed twice over the past 6 weeks.

Each time, I have paid zero for the upgrade, and, it seems, I am able to make further

flight changes, should I wish, at no additional cost, right up until 30th September.

I have always found Middle East airlines, including QR, to be of much better quality than

say, BA or Virgin, even though travel times are much longer due to stop-overs in the

hub country.

An added bonus is the hold-baggage allowance of 2 x 23kgs, around twice what most

other airlines allow.

For the record, I have never once had a gripe with Qatar Airways.

2 x 23kg ?  My allowance on my Qatar ticket is 1 x 25kg. It used to be 30kg but they have decreased it. Yet another loss in value.

I've been happy with Qatar up to this point. Yes, far more reliable than the likes of B.A.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Masks are to stop YOU giving your germs to others.

Does My Mask Protect Me if Nobody Else Is Wearing One?

https://www.nytimes.com/article/covid-masks-protection-stats.html

Yes, wearing a mask can help protect you from getting COVID-19, even if others aren’t wearing them

https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/coronavirus-verify/masks-protect-wearer-covid-if-no-one-else-wears-one/536-ad323e29-a362-4952-9d2c-b072c40498be

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Most airlines are still running on a reduced schedule, which when booking only 3 weeks before travel is obviously going to be extremely expensive.

If you look at the cost of flights mid August you will see they are nowhere near those costs EVA air direct at 617 pounds as an example and hundreds of flights under 600 pounds. From London Heathrow

Don't be so sure on that.  I spent a day finding my flights and indeed, did find some cheaper ones. However, when I was transfered to the agent's site the price went up considerably.  With one, not only did it go up on transfer, when I filled in my details and tried to pay, I got a message saying it was no longer available at the latest price but was available at an even higher price.

My flights are also from Manchester - Heathrow is usually a little cheaper but rarely enough to tempt me to make that trek + pay for the additional travel and twice as much for parking.

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Fl

Fights are around $500 in September and beyond.

Travel now during world peak time and you pay.

Not $......£

I also made it quite clear that I have to travel now.

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

See cheapflight (currently) listing flights via dehli - stop over 4 hours - for £944. Think if the price is real I can live with Delhi for 4 hours for £700 !

I couldn't , a constant rule for me is never transit through an Indian airport.  Indeed, never ever fly with an Indian  Sub Continent airline, whatever the price . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Not on my dates - or from Manchester. With respect, I've been flying this route for nearly 21 years - I know how to find the best prices.

Flight.png

Edited by KhaoYai