30 years in total- I think my time is up

6 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

SparkTrader, I spent a week in Udon and I felt like I saw every square foot of it twice. Not so many westerner comforts, and I realized I need more than 2 bars to go to -and I'm not even a boozer. Loved it from a temple and nature perspective, but how often are you ever popping into a temple or national park a second time?

If it costs $100 extra to live in a more westernized place like Chiang Mai, I say do it. The people here living happily in Roi Et are all MARRIED. A single male rattling around in Ubon with little language skills better be very excellent at entertaining themselves.

agreed..im in CM  been to KK and NK...very thai

On 7/8/2022 at 11:05 PM, KIngsofisaan said:

If you are retired or nearing that age and have to rent versus buy, we can understand the cheap charlie issues.

different strokes for diff folks....or are we all to bow and obey the Kings of Isaan??

https://www.redfin.com/guides/renting-vs-buying-a-house

I aint dissing Ubon, like I said, I spent a week there. It's a rare tourist who does that.

It was my fave of the big 4 Issan towns because it had a speck of a downtown around the park. It wasn't just a bunch of traffic circles. And the spiritual vibe with the forest wat and the candle festival is very unique. The riverside part was my favorite such place in Thailand.

Also, My favorite Mark Weins video has him eating chicken and cashew nuts at a Chinese shop house there. Very hard to get GREAT chicken and cashews. That video is worth a look.

I'm saying that wouldn't be my first address in Thailand, partic without a lot language skills. A solo westerner is not someone the locals have much room for in their lives, nor do the expats. You want a bigger westerner pool of fellow loose cannons to swim in when you're alone.

Places like CM old city or Pattaya Beach Road, or Ekami are like the departure lounge before you get on the plane to real Thailand. Going direct to a town like Loei is like just jumping out of the plane.

• Like 1

Solo single tourist would have no problem.  @ 5:00 of vid

I quite enjoyed my 'single' time there, and I didn't like the places or go to the ones in the vid that catered to tourist / expats.

The night markets near the trains station and some of the Thai venues, make it one of the best food towns for the smaller large metros.  Take it over the other top 5 large metros.  You got Krung Thep area, then the larger 5 or 6 metros, and Udon, one of, if not the best of the lot.  Far better IMHO than CM, Korat, Khon Kaen, Ubon.  Haven't made it Hat Yai yet.

I hate these place (in vid) but seems to be what people want ????

image.png.8469e1fb8be53541f5744d0b998db00b.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Solo single tourist would have no problem.  @ 5:00 of vid

I quite enjoyed my 'single' time there, and I didn't like the places or go to the ones in the vid that catered to tourist / expats.

The night markets near the trains station and some of the Thai venues, make it one of the best food towns for the smaller large metros.  Take it over the other top 5 large metros.  You got Krung Thep area, then the larger 5 or 6 metros, and Udon, one of, if not the best of the lot.  Far better IMHO than CM, Korat, Khon Kaen, Ubon.  Haven't made it Hat Yai yet.

I hate these place (in vid) but seems to be what people want ????

image.png.8469e1fb8be53541f5744d0b998db00b.png

Must be one of the most boring presenters ever. Hope TAT don't discover him.

1 hour ago, rimmae2 said:

Must be one of the most boring presenters ever. Hope TAT don't discover him.

No argument there, just wanted some current, and also why I pointed out 5:00 of vid, try to spare you.  Just to show there's more than 2 bars, as implied, nothing for the bar seeking tourist/expat, being 10 ish at one location

Edited by KhunLA

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My place is probably more private than your village house surrounded by 'her' 100 Thai relatives. 

My last conversation with my neighbours, "can you make a little less noise in your swimming pool, please" 

IMG_20220530_120951.jpg

If you next door neighbor is more than 26 rai away, you have us beat, however it is not.

22 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I...will...type...this..slowly...as ..you...seem...to...have..issues...reading....

Please...go..back...and..read..my..posts..slowly.......I..have..clearly..said..i..use

a ..gatorade 320z...bottle..in...my ..car....to...pee....i...use...the..gym...or..a store...for...#2

Might...i....suggest...this....program...for...your..reading...com--pre--hen--sion....

https://www.hookedonphonics.com/

You seem like a classy guy....I wonder if you, yourself can lure a lady into your "Palace"...

but keep it up with your insults, so all here can see what a hero and swell guy you are...

Also whatever you do, do NOT google van life on youtube, or the internet..yes, its a thing

maybe you will see with the current generation, you are the minority, not the majority

It just goes to show how much one can acquire and have lots of cash, you can still be a jerk

You clearly said you had a toilet in your car.

I do have money--i choose wisely on how i want to spend it My car has tv--ac-bed-toilet-books--laptop--etc I shower at the gym nearby-and eat wherever i choose at cafe-market-etc I always find it funny how ppl will pay money to go camping in a flimsy tent I put a bed in a secure solid car and people freak out......and pay zero and safer and comfy People walk to toilet and showers and campground and pay about $30 a night... as ive stated i choose to live in my car--a rental is out of my budget when i have all the same needs met for less....the little income i have goes to savings to travel back to thailand, where i dont work and the more i have saved the longer i can stay

What exactly is that for?

Do youself a favor and try sticking to your own story.

Edited by KIngsofisaan

On 7/8/2022 at 7:54 PM, KIngsofisaan said:

Maybe you forgot the original comment? Wasn't mine

I started giving my Thai partner 20K baht a month 13 years ago to pay for food, water and electric. I still give her 20K baht a month and if anything we eat better now than then. I have offered many times to increase the amount, but she always refuses and tells me if she runs short she'll let me know. So if the cost of living has increased, it's negligible.

He claims 13 years later his is eating better and cost increase negotiable. Electric has sure as heck increased dramatically past 13 years.

Well obviously it is just electric and water, he sounds like the person not doing much AC so that could be less than 3K together. If the wife is cooking at home all the time she could easily do groceries for 6K, that might today be 12K, but together still way under the 20K in total.

With other words; she always had money left over since the very start, and now a bit less but still enough. So in reality costs did in fact increase drastically, what he says has nothing to do with reality. He just gave her a lot since the start for what needs to be paid of it.

9 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

People who respond with these kinds of replies are caught up in their own foolishness.

Pray tell, please explain in detail. Enquiring minds wish to know.  I once met myself when I looked in the mirror, and boy was I disappointed. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My place is probably more private than your village house surrounded by 'her' 100 Thai relatives. 

My last conversation with my neighbours, "can you make a little less noise in your swimming pool, please" 

IMG_20220530_120951.jpg

my thai gf said all the buffaloes are now sick and need me to take care......also she needs new solar panels...

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Pray tell, please explain in detail. Enquiring minds wish to know.  I once met myself when I looked in the mirror, and boy was I disappointed. 

try taping a 1000 bt bill to the mirror in forehead area...boom  insta-hansum-ness!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

I do have money--i choose wisely on how i want to spend it My car has tv--ac-bed-toilet-books--laptop--etc I shower at the gym nearby-and eat wherever i choose at cafe-market-etc I always find it funny how ppl will pay money to go camping in a flimsy tent I put a bed in a secure solid car and people freak out......and pay zero and safer and comfy People walk to toilet and showers and campground and pay about $30 a night... as ive stated i choose to live in my car--a rental is out of my budget when i have all the same needs met for less....the little income i have goes to savings to travel back to thailand, where i dont work and the more i have saved the longer i can stay

yep i did and ill say it again for The King...should i type slooooowly?

I      have    a 32    ounce      bottle     of    gatorade   (empty)  for my    "toilet"     or I guess i should assume the KIng has his golden throne with bidet  or maybe a local "pissboy"....

See how i spread the words out for you..since you cant seem to make sense of English...

Or do u just go in the shower------i will remind you,,,again(sigh) where i use another toilet for #2.......you are aware there are several around for free use???    Sticking to my story--as you seem to try again and again, to no avail of trying to deflect and find some sort of way to cry foul.....heres a tip  go to page ONE and read this whole thread again, Your Majesty...

I dont need to do myself any favors, but youre welcome for doing you one by replying....

May I suggest you do yourself a favor and get a life other than judging others on here that were responding to the OP, before you felt the need to come in and mansplain everything.

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

https://www.amazon.com/portable-urinals/s?k=portable+urinals

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=portable+toilet+for+camping&crid=6ZMSQ18FKGP5&sprefix=portable+toilet%2Caps%2C574&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_15

oh the wonders of the internet...must live a sheltered life all alone in your castle, King..

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

If that was you in the photo at the clean beach with the "Punisher" Tee-shirt, I can understand your disappointment!

Sticky, I always sneak an empty Snapple bottle on the plane with me so I can take a whizz or two on the 27 hour flight. Sometimes, there's an epic line for the toilet. Referring to a bottle as a toilet is very standard among van-users.

I went down a rabbit hole of looking at YouTubes about converting our Rav-4 into a sleeping van (you have to get the backseats removed -and the Toyota dealership won't do it).

But doing the same thing with a Camry is def on the tight side. Are you sleeping diagonally in the back?

Have you considered a roof storage unit? I see that's where a lot of car-dwellers stick their spare tire so they can use that bit of floor to have some ceiling height to sit in.

The biggest car-dweller mistake I see is trying to have a little kitchen with a stove, ice box, and table and chairs. Like, why not a bird house and a hot tub too?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Sticky, I always sneak an empty Snapple bottle on the plane with me so I can take a whizz or two on the 27 hour flight. Sometimes, there's an epic line for the toilet. Referring to a bottle as a toilet is very standard among van-users.

I went down a rabbit hole of looking at YouTubes about converting our Rav-4 into a sleeping van (you have to get the backseats removed -and the Toyota dealership won't do it).

But doing the same thing with a Camry is def on the tight side. Are you sleeping diagonally in the back?

Have you considered a roof storage unit? I see that's where a lot of car-dwellers stick their spare tire so they can use that bit of floor to have some ceiling height to sit in.

The biggest car-dweller mistake I see is trying to have a little kitchen with a stove, ice box, and table and chairs. Like, why not a bird house and a hot tub too?

I was in a 95 honda accord before the camry! boy was that tight--a little getting used to sleeping in a coffin..took out pass seat and back seat so had some room and laid flat.

So i always kept and eye out to upgrade as the tranny started going on my 220k honda

Found the 95 camry wagon!  very hard to find these....dark green..found it on craigslist on a sunday night and drove down to see it same night with $1000 cash in pocket....was a bit nervous as was night--shady area and its craigslist!  i got it and did some needed axle and rotor work but tracked the car from a junkyard salvage,,turns out a old lady died and only had 70k miles on it--super clean!   this model has the old jumpseat which comes in handy and offers storage underneath as spare if on side on car...carpeted..i can fit straight as the back seats fold down and i took lower cushions out to lay it flat.....so feels like a condo from the honda!!....keep my minimal things under the jumpseat storage area which is handy.

i have a little converter and jump box for power for fan--pc--cell etc,,,,stream cable on my phone....i tried a kettle for tea but blew fuse..lol..i just get hot water at a 7-11 if i ask them..

ice box --they have camping ones but dont really need one--i eat on the fly...i have a folding camping chair and can use my hood or hatch back for table...the bed is 2 sofa like cushions that stack so i have room to sit in the back under cover or with hatch open...

everything i need fits in the storage area hidden and clean...as i live here with just a carry on bag......everything is already avail   wifi  tv at gym--stream cable on my phone--toilets--24 hr gyms---food--etc,,,,,,all the comforts of home..just spread out a bit.....the pee bottle helps as i got prostate issues so helps...proper diet keeps your body "regular" for #2

can watch the movie nomadland for a peek inside the van life movement---good movie..

id love a tiny house---maybe a old trailer if can fix up to live in when i travel home to work.

I was hoping to hear from the KING of Isaan but seems i am now worthy of his contempt..

On 7/8/2022 at 7:32 PM, giddyup said:

I do know that the 20K still covers all the same things it did 13 years ago. Fact. Try to see how far 20K (about A$200 a week) goes in Australia for two people.

Find a new money exchange 200 dollars is not 20000 baht  

On 7/8/2022 at 7:11 PM, ThailandRyan said:

like a white noise background sound.  It is how I managed to live in BKK so long.  Unfortunately the White Noise has gotten to loud 

Well done with living with White Noise for so long. ????

Fo you really know what White Noise sounds like?

White Noise when microwave testing sounds like rats eating through a lead cable.

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2022 at 11:55 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

try taping a 1000 bt bill to the mirror in forehead area...boom  insta-hansum-ness!!!

I taped to 500 purples over my eyes, and all I saw was the old monarch, which gave me hope all would be right in the world.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I was in a 95 honda accord before the camry! boy was that tight--a little getting used to sleeping in a coffin..took out pass seat and back seat so had some room and laid flat.

So i always kept and eye out to upgrade as the tranny started going on my 220k honda

Found the 95 camry wagon!  very hard to find these....dark green..found it on craigslist on a sunday night and drove down to see it same night with $1000 cash in pocket....was a bit nervous as was night--shady area and its craigslist!  i got it and did some needed axle and rotor work but tracked the car from a junkyard salvage,,turns out a old lady died and only had 70k miles on it--super clean!   this model has the old jumpseat which comes in handy and offers storage underneath as spare if on side on car...carpeted..i can fit straight as the back seats fold down and i took lower cushions out to lay it flat.....so feels like a condo from the honda!!....keep my minimal things under the jumpseat storage area which is handy.

i have a little converter and jump box for power for fan--pc--cell etc,,,,stream cable on my phone....i tried a kettle for tea but blew fuse..lol..i just get hot water at a 7-11 if i ask them..

ice box --they have camping ones but dont really need one--i eat on the fly...i have a folding camping chair and can use my hood or hatch back for table...the bed is 2 sofa like cushions that stack so i have room to sit in the back under cover or with hatch open...

everything i need fits in the storage area hidden and clean...as i live here with just a carry on bag......everything is already avail   wifi  tv at gym--stream cable on my phone--toilets--24 hr gyms---food--etc,,,,,,all the comforts of home..just spread out a bit.....the pee bottle helps as i got prostate issues so helps...proper diet keeps your body "regular" for #2

can watch the movie nomadland for a peek inside the van life movement---good movie..

id love a tiny house---maybe a old trailer if can fix up to live in when i travel home to work.

I was hoping to hear from the KING of Isaan but seems i am now worthy of his contempt..

And yet with all of that your a great Grab driver, your ratings are all 5 star......home is wear the heart is.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 5:24 PM, CharlieH said:

Its only a problem if you allow it to be.

Is it right, no I dont think it is, but there is NOTHING you can do about it, its a tiny amount, and doesnt really impact anyones daily life here.

Perfect.

"It's only a problem if you allow it to be".

Well said.