LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

2 hours ago, MPoll said:

I am cautiously optimistic about this but I am still going to keep a close eye on this topic next year as interpretations of the tax law become clearer. 

I too am cautiously optimistic.   I shall bring in a large sum in January that will do us for 2024.  It’s of course income earned in the previous year.  

I figure Royal Decree 743 will still be standing at that time. 

Still unsure if we LTR Visa holders will have to do a tax return if no income earned in Thailand and funds remitted are from a previous year.  I’m not volunteering to get a Thai TIN.  

11 hours ago, K2938 said:

"Those who obtain the LTR visa are exempted from paying personal income tax on their foreign assets or earnings.

Since the launch of the scheme in September 2022, over 3,000 LTRs have been granted to foreigners. In the weeks since the Sep 15 announcement of the new tax regulation, there has been a 14 per cent increase in LTR applications, according to sources."

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/international/asean/thailands-tweak-tax-regulation-foreign-income-sparks-confusion-worries

Interesting article - but I think at this stage, no one is quite sure how this will turn out.

I note that Business Times article states: 

" What’s clear for now is that the tweaked tax ruling will go into effect on Jan 1, 2024, which means it applies to foreign income earned after Jan 1, 2023. "

Could the Business Times article be wrong there? I ask that because of a Thai revenue department document that came out in November-2023. More precisely, Thailand Revenue Department orders No.P.162/2023 (unofficial translation of it) states:

"The provisions of paragraph one shall not apply to assessable income arising before 1-January-2024".

So Business Times stating income earned after Jan 1, 2023, appears to me to possibly be in contradiction to the 1-January-2024 date noted in the November-2023 Thai revenue department clarification document Thailand Revenue Department orders No.P.162/2023 (for assessable income) .

But what is the actual case?  I don't think any of us know just yet.

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

Just create your own fillable fields using Adobe Acrobat. Yeah, I know -- the cost is ridiculous, plus you can't buy it anymore -- you have to subscribe and pay annually. Fortunately, I've some older pirated versions that work just fine  -- except with some newer PDF fillable forms. Can you find such software on the street anymore?

I was using Nitro PDF reader to fill pdf files, now I just use a pen since I stopped writing ransom notes.

• Haha 1

Here as a start on a TM-95 as a MS Word document converted using Acrobat 9.0 Pro.  If someone wants to use it, get it to look more like the Acrobat PDF and Immigrations TM-47 form.   You can use Immigration's 90-day reports in document format if you need symbols.  Once you have it 'pretty' upload it here for other's use.

TM.95 blank.doc Blank TM47 Form for Alien to Notify of Staying Longer Than 90 Days.doc

Edited by mudcat
correct form number

On 11/30/2023 at 1:45 AM, K2938 said:

It is not know yet, but it would appear that at the minimum they will ask again for proof that you held this deposit for at least one year and it might well turn out to be five years, i.e. since the start of your visa.

There's some information buried way down on the LTR website under application process - vis issuance, and it (partly) clarifies the point raised:-

Visa period and staying permission

According to the annoucement of the Ministry of Interior Affairs, the applicant who passed the qualifications endorsement for LTR visa (and has had the visa issued in the period within 60 days from the date of qualifications endorsement letter issuance) will receive the 10-year visa stamp from the Immigration/Thai Embassy on the date of your LTR Visa issuance. However, the immigrantion will grant the permission to stay in Thailand with unlimited accesses to the Royal Thai Kingdom (multiple re-entry) for no more than 5 years. This means that you will get a 5-year visa stamp first. And, before the expiration of your first staying permission, your qualifications and criteria will be verified again (you will be required to submit documents and proof via the system). If your qualifications and criteria do not meet the requirement e.g. for Wealthy Global Citizens catagory, if the value of your investment in Thailand is less than USD 500,000 because you sold your property, or have canceled your health insurance and did not have a proof of the health insurance for the past years* etc., in such cases, the LTR visa shall be revoked.

* Remarks:

* You are required to report to LTR Visa unit if your purpose of staying in Thailand is different to the purpose you applied for the LTR visa i.e. For LTR : W and LTR- H as staying in Thailand with an incorrect type of visa might be against the law.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, oldcpu said:

You might be best to ask BoI that question.

In my case (and I think for others) BoI wanted to see an income tax return that proved what we claimed about our pension income.  I ended providing both my Canadian Income tax return (and the Canadian government revenue department letter acknowledging my income) and provided a government document stating my pension income.   I do not know if you will be asked for similar ... 

Possibly thou your 2024 income tax return (for year 2023) will have enough information on it to satisfy BoI.  Again, maybe its best to ask them.  You can send an email, or just phone them.  They have many people who can speak very good English.

My suspicion, is the best time to reply is when you have government proof of your 2023 tax return submission (submitted in early 2024) - but again, check with BoI.

As you likely know, over a 10 year period, if you plan to leave Thailand multiple times/year, the LTR-WP visa is about the same cost as the OA visa (maybe a bit cheaper).   In my case, the LTR-WP visa mean it was easier for me to prove "Health Insurance" (on LTR) than it was on Type-OA - which I believe, if that is also true for you, might be a good reason to apply as soon as applicable.

While getting a tax exemption (that will hopefully come with an LTR visa for money brought it to Thailand) is desirable, even without that, I believe there are good reasons for applying for an LTR when you will have the required paperwork.   ....  Again, I suspect tax records (if asked for) could be the documents that may drive your application schedule.

Thanks for the reply oldcpu.

I will miss the income requirement by a few hundred dollars for 2023 tax year (I should have done a Roth rollover).  But after having read through the thread, I saw a post with a screenshot where the entry for the income can be specified by dates.  I'm assuming that the income can be set for any 12 month period not just for the tax year.  I have time since I just got recently issued an OA visa.  So I will wait until I have 12 months of pension income and after I have filed my income tax return next year to apply for the LTR WP.

3 hours ago, 1tent42 said:

I will miss the income requirement by a few hundred dollars for 2023 tax year (I should have done a Roth rollover).  But after having read through the thread, I saw a post with a screenshot where the entry for the income can be specified by dates.  I'm assuming that the income can be set for any 12 month period not just for the tax year.  I have time since I just got recently issued an OA visa.  So I will wait until I have 12 months of pension income and after I have filed my income tax return next year to apply for the LTR WP.

When I applied (December 2022) I simply sent my last two pension payslips (I get paid fortnightly).  I didn't send my tax return.   No questions asked.  If you don't get pension payslips perhaps your pension fund can provide a letter.

3 hours ago, 1tent42 said:

If you meet the income requirements based on your "current" pension(s) amount....like say your monthly pension recently increased due to cost of living allowance adjustment....there is no need to wait one or two years for that amount to be shown on a file income tax return.  Note: in some cases if a pension is totally or partially non-taxable/non-reportable like say a U.S. Veteran's Administration (VA) pension which is 100% tax free that pension amount would never appear on a tax return....makes it look like you total real world income is less than what it really is.

The pension benefit letter/certificate(s) you provide will be adequate proof for BoI although they may still ask to see one or two years of tax returns to add additional documentation proof of your income (i.e., helps confirm the pension docs are legitimate) ....AND those past income tax return amount(s) may show less than the current pension benefit letter/certificates since BoI fully releases many pensions typical increase annually and tax returns are in the past.

If you have a pension(s) that is partially/totally non-taxable/non-reportable on a tax return include a one page memo that summarizes/explains your pension(s) because pension incomes are not always cut

image.png.fbe6a2e21277a87c95f478535e565d60.png

20 hours ago, DodgerRodger said:

There's some information buried way down on the LTR website under application process - vis issuance, and it (partly) clarifies the point raised:-

Visa period and staying permission

According to the annoucement of the Ministry of Interior Affairs, the applicant who passed the qualifications endorsement for LTR visa (and has had the visa issued in the period within 60 days from the date of qualifications endorsement letter issuance) will receive the 10-year visa stamp from the Immigration/Thai Embassy on the date of your LTR Visa issuance. However, the immigrantion will grant the permission to stay in Thailand with unlimited accesses to the Royal Thai Kingdom (multiple re-entry) for no more than 5 years. This means that you will get a 5-year visa stamp first. And, before the expiration of your first staying permission, your qualifications and criteria will be verified again (you will be required to submit documents and proof via the system). If your qualifications and criteria do not meet the requirement e.g. for Wealthy Global Citizens catagory, if the value of your investment in Thailand is less than USD 500,000 because you sold your property, or have canceled your health insurance and did not have a proof of the health insurance for the past years* etc., in such cases, the LTR visa shall be revoked.

* Remarks:

* You are required to report to LTR Visa unit if your purpose of staying in Thailand is different to the purpose you applied for the LTR visa i.e. For LTR : W and LTR- H as staying in Thailand with an incorrect type of visa might be against the law.

This seems important. Does the LTR unit also expect to see proof of USD100k in a bank account for 5 years for proof of the health insurance requirement?   It would be difficult to "forget" and accidentally sell a USD500k gov't bond, but funds in a bank account would be different.  Especially if someone actually needed to use these funds for health care expenses at some point.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Misty said:

This seems important. Does the LTR unit also expect to see proof of USD100k in a bank account for 5 years for proof of the health insurance requirement?   It would be difficult to "forget" and accidentally sell a USD500k gov't bond, but funds in a bank account would be different.  Especially if someone actually needed to use these funds for health care expenses at some point.

Totally agree.  I have been looking at LTR as an option going forward when my 5-year Thai Elite visa expires (I can hopefully extend another 15 years for ฿ 400K though) but I am too old to get health insurance except for a ridiculous premium.  If, as you and I surmise, BoI want to see 5years of bank statements showing that the USD100K requirement has been met throughout then I feel this is not for me.  So many things can happen and the future uncertain.  I recall reading about Non-O retirement renewals being denied because the ฿ 800K requirement was not met, even by just a small amount.  And I doubt that there will be any real clarity on this until the first LTR applicants reach the end of their 5-year visas.

• Agree 2

When the 5 year point is reached & LTR visa comes up for renewal of the additional 5 years:

If the Thai Govt & BOI administrators want LTR visa holders to be medically insured, it seems logical to me to expect that they very well may not be happy with someone that did not continue the medical insurance for all 5 years.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, OneZero said:

When the 5 year point is reached & LTR visa comes up for renewal of the additional 5 years:

If the Thai Govt & BOI administrators want LTR visa holders to be medically insured, it seems logical to me to expect that they very well may not be happy with someone that did not continue the medical insurance for all 5 years.

... or the continuation of the ability to self-insure by the alternatives acceptable to BOI.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, oldcpu said:

If I had to guess, BoI, in 5 year times AFTER one obtains the LTR visa, BoI may ask to see proof of USD $100K for only the last 2 years, before one renews the 'permission to stay' for the second 5 year period.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions oldcpu and yes, I agree, BOI need to clarify and I will perhaps seek guidance in due course.  I too considered the option of reapplying after 5 years and pay a further ฿ 50K. That would still be cheaper than extending my Thai Elite visa.  And I believe evidence of the USD100K self insurance is only required for the 12 months prior to application for the LTR visa.

15 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I would recommend calling BoI for clarification on this.

After all, the USD 100K is for self health insurance.  It stands to reason it may dip below USD $100K at times, as one uses it to pay medical bills, and then one tops it up later.

If I had to guess, BoI, in 5 year times AFTER one obtains the LTR visa, BoI may ask to see proof of USD $100K for only the last 2 years, before one renews the 'permission to stay' for the second 5 year period.

Having to keep $100K USD equivalent in cash continually for 5 years is not an issue for me (for self health insurance), but I can clearly see it could be for some - hence its worth asking BoI. 

Hypothetically, lets say BoI wanted it the money proven the bank continually for 5 years ... and then lets say one takes the 500k out of the bank as soon as one gets the LTR visa. So lets say then in 5 years, BoI would deny the "automatic" for another 5-year permission to stay (as the money was not there for 5 years). 

But what happens at that point in time, if one pays another 50k THB and applies again for an LTR and shows $100k USD in the bank for the last two prior years?  Are BoI going to turn down a new LTR application when one meets the new application requirement for an LTR-WP (as requirement, I think, is $100k equivalent only for two preceding years)?  

Based on that, my guess, is when 5years rolls around, one only show $100K USD in the bank (for self health insurance) for the 2 years prior to the 5-year permission to stay renewal.  ... or saying it different:    from the LTR approval point in time,  to the 3 after approval point in time, one might not have to maintain the $100K USD in the bank for self health insurance.  That is a guess thou. Emphasis on 'guess'.

Again - if one is worried about that, its best IMHO to call BoI and hear what they plan.

I agree with contacting the BOI LTR unit on this point.  Would suggest emailing them so you have a written response.  I've found talking to the staff to be very helpful, but sometimes they suffer from wishful thinking.  Anything said on the phone could change 5 years from now.  An emailed response would be a bit more durable.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/13/2023 at 10:43 AM, SHA 2 BKK said:

I too am cautiously optimistic.   I shall bring in a large sum in January that will do us for 2024.  It’s of course income earned in the previous year.  

I figure Royal Decree 743 will still be standing at that time. 

This is reflects something I am still unclear about. Does royal decree 743 exempt any foreign income [Pensions AFAIC] earned while residing in the Kingdom under LTRWP, or does the income need to be earned during year -1 when remitted during year 1, just as any foreign income up to 31/12/2023?

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

This is reflects something I am still unclear about. Does royal decree 743 exempt any foreign income [Pensions AFAIC] earned while residing in the Kingdom under LTRWP, or does the income need to be earned during year -1 when remitted during year 1, just as any foreign income up to 31/12/2023?

Unclear as so much.  The most restrictive version I have heard is that it only exempts income actually earned (earned, not submitted!) in a year you hold an LTR visa, but not income from any other year.  However, for regular pension payments that would appear to be sufficient for you.

In reference to LTR-WP visas issued using the 'self-insurance' option: 

As one of the early applicants, I was caught up in the 10-month insurance validity issue and did not want to wait for my policy to renew a few months later so I submitted the first page of my JPMorgan statement for my Roth IRA that showed a current value, actions, and a chart with a three-year look-back showing three-times what they required in a 'bank' account.  I also submitted  a description of the Roth IRA tax and penalty-free withdrawals available for my situation. 

I will re-submit the then current statement for the account when my visa comes up for renewal in five-years which will (hopefully) show an increase in value and no withdrawals (we live comfortably on my SSA and pension).  I will be prepared to argue if they do not accept what they accepted before; as a fall back I do have qualifying health insurance here, but I will stand on principal.

Hi all,

My application has been stuck in "consideration by government agencies" for ages and has just switched over to "Final - Reviewing"

Really keen to understand if this is good progress, bad progress or just a status change that doesn't actually mean anything. Has anyone experienced this status and can provide some insights? I did a word search but didn't have any luck

Hi all, is there an ATM machine in the Suvarnabhumi international arrival hall available for withdrawing funds for arriving visa exempt?

I’m going through the process to transfer my existing LTR e-visa to an LTR HSP visa. The LTR unit says to arrive visa exempt.  I don't think I've ever arrived visa exempt before, or if so it was 30 years ago. To get through Immigration with minimal hassle, my plan is to have both an onward ticket and Bt20,000 cash, just in case.  I also have the official approval documentation and the LTR unit’s phone number and a point of contact.

9 hours ago, K2938 said:

If your question is if there is an ATM BEFORE you go through immigration, then the answer is no.  However, the chances of you actually being checked for this are very low.  Moreover, if you have any written document confirming that you will be getting an LTR HSP visa, then you should not have any problems anyway.  But if you want to make extra sure, you can also have the THB 20k in any foreign currency equivalent.  It does not need to be THB.

The onward travel ticket is more important because this is frequently checked by the airlines.

Thanks for this. In that case, I have enough foreign currency cash.  For the airlines my passport still has the old LTR visa details (it'll be changed at the LTR unit in Bangkok) but will get the onward ticket just in case. 

1 hour ago, Misty said:

Thanks for this. In that case, I have enough foreign currency cash.  For the airlines my passport still has the old LTR visa details (it'll be changed at the LTR unit in Bangkok) but will get the onward ticket just in case. 

Misty,

In switching to a different type of LTR visa was you required to exit Thailand on the current LTR and then reenter Thailand on a visa exempt entry in order to get your new LTR HSP visa?   That is, you could not just let BOI/Immigration cancel your current LTR and issue the new LTR just like when a person switches from a Non-immigrant type visa (say a Non O/OA) to an LTR visa by visiting BOI/Immigration at Chamchuri Sq in Bangkok.   

Also, how could a person enter on a visa exempt since your passport has a active/current LTR visa showing in it?   I'm somewhat confused in what BoI requires to switch from one type of LTR visa to another LTR type.  Thanks.

For remote workers I'm interested to know the wording of this required document people have been successful with.

It's very unlikely I could get my current employer to agree to this working as it could open them up to tax liabilities in Thailand or elsewhere?

Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 4.54.09 pm.png

Edited by makescents

Misty,

Thanks....and Wow!!!!...quite an obstacle course you successfully ran....all because of having the 1st LTR issued via the evisa process. And if you had had your 1st LTR visa issued in Thailand vs via evisa there wouldn't had been any "switch LTR visa type" obstacle course to run--or at least an easier and shorter one.  Happy Holidays.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 10:27 AM, Pib said:

Misty,

Thanks....and Wow!!!!...quite an obstacle course you successfully ran....all because of having the 1st LTR issued via the evisa process. And if you had had your 1st LTR visa issued in Thailand vs via evisa there wouldn't had been any "switch LTR visa type" obstacle course to run--or at least an easier and shorter one.  Happy Holidays.

Happy holidays Pib! The process isn't over yet, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 7:54 AM, Misty said:

Happy holidays Pib! The process isn't over yet, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck Misty.   Dips me lid to you.  Tackling all the Thai Bureaucracy.   But sounds like the BOI were helping as much as possible. 

Hope all the LTR’s had a great Christmas and happy and healthy 2024.  

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1