LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

10 hours ago, stat said:

The BOI can state for example that LTR provides a blanket exception or it could state that a new law or directive can entail that even LTR visa holders have to pay income tax on remitted or non remitted income. BOI is now stating that remitted income is tax free.

They could even state we do not know anything .
🙂

I have never been in any country where an office within the government would predict the outcome of discussions on any particular bill, especially one that is so controversial.  We know what has been initially proposed but the fact is, it would still take months of discussions for the world wide income taxes program to be approved, especially with some leaders within the government might be gone.  SO should the BOI become a SEER, ask for a crystal balll or witch doctor and explain all the ramafications of this as yet tax program under discussion?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, stat said:

The BOI can state for example that LTR provides a blanket exception or it could state that a new law or directive can entail that even LTR visa holders have to pay income tax on remitted or non remitted income. BOI is now stating that remitted income is tax free.

They could even state we do not know anything .
🙂

IN my opinion, that is exactly the case, and shouild be very OBVIOUS to all the readers here!

• Agree 1

On 6/18/2024 at 4:25 PM, stat said:

All Emails I received so far from BOI state that ONLY remitted income remains tax free. I have asked 2 times about unremitted income and they apparently can or do not want to answer the question about unremitted income. I now asked a third time about unremitted income being tax free from thai tax.

BOI probably blocked you after you sent your second request. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Presnock said:

IN my opinion, that is exactly the case, and shouild be very OBVIOUS to all the readers here!

However BOI still states remitted income is not taxable which clearly refutes your main argument that nothing can be said by anybody. For me and many others the main alure is the tax exempt status in combination with a 10 year visa. I do not want a 10 year visa for a country that charges 35% tax on cap gains and on top asks me to notarize 200 pages long bank statements.

Edited by stat
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyBD said:

BOI probably blocked you after you sent your second request. 

Then it is probably a good idea if you go ahead and ask them yourself and help the forum? Thanks!

• Confused 1

Several months ago I asked BoI about mail-in 365 day reports. They weren't too keen on it, but advised to look at the SMART site and use the address given there. Well, yesterday I brought up that SMART site to get the address -- and it had  disappeared. So, I asked BoI about it, and about reporting by mail. Here's their answer:

One-year reports by physical mail are not acceptable.

Please contact your local Immigration office if you wish to do a one-year report near your location, or visit the Immigration office at the Chamchuri Building in Bangkok.

Each Immigration office may have different guidelines for the one-year report, so we recommend contacting them directly for specific information.

If needed, you can provide them with the official announcement from the Immigration Bureau to clarify any confusion. You can access the announcement https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/คำสั่ง-สตม.-ที่-150-2565-ลง-22-ส.ค.65-แนวทางปฏิบัติ-LTR-Visa.pdf

The important details can be found on pages 4, 6, and 14 of the document.

So, no more mail-in options for 365 day reporting, for both LTR and SMART visa holders. I would imagine Immigration just didn't want to deal with mail call.

Mail-in was my backup plan. Plan A was using the LTR agent here in Chiang Mai -- Star Visa. So, today I took my filled in TM95 and -- as they said was absolutely required -- my TM30. Imagine my surprise when they said something like, "You're our first TM95 customer; we're not too sure if Immigration has total grasp on this; we'll keep you advised" Gulp.

Now, maybe I'll have to go to Bangkok -- or hire a mule to go for me. Probably easier just to fly out and back across the border.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JimGant said:

Several months ago I asked BoI about mail-in 365 day reports. They weren't too keen on it, but advised to look at the SMART site and use the address given there. Well, yesterday I brought up that SMART site to get the address -- and it had  disappeared. So, I asked BoI about it, and about reporting by mail. Here's their answer:

So, no more mail-in options for 365 day reporting, for both LTR and SMART visa holders. I would imagine Immigration just didn't want to deal with mail call.

Mail-in was my backup plan. Plan A was using the LTR agent here in Chiang Mai -- Star Visa. So, today I took my filled in TM95 and -- as they said was absolutely required -- my TM30. Imagine my surprise when they said something like, "You're our first TM95 customer; we're not too sure if Immigration has total grasp on this; we'll keep you advised" Gulp.

Now, maybe I'll have to go to Bangkok -- or hire a mule to go for me. Probably easier just to fly out and back across the border.

Jim,

Sure enough that area on the SMART visa website that gave instructions on how to accomplished the 1 year address report via mail is now gone.

Additionally,  that weblink you gave which gives immigration offices "how to/more info on the the LTR visa" in Thai is also at the BOI LTR website under the Laws and Regulation submenu....it's document number 8.

I expect Star Visa will get the reporting done especially since they are one of the four Certified Agencies by BOI to assist in LTR visa application/maintenance.  

https://ltr.boi.go.th/page/laws-regulations.html

image.png.1a88d18aba7da329b630c145a6484d66.png

4 hours ago, JimGant said:

So, no more mail-in options for 365 day reporting, for both LTR and SMART visa holders.

Thankyou for your post.

I thought the BoI reply to you was in part encouraging where they stated:  " Please contact your local Immigration office if you wish to do a one-year report near your location, or visit the Immigration office at the Chamchuri Building in Bangkok. Each Immigration office may have different guidelines for the one-year report, so we recommend contacting them directly for specific information."

It has been reported on this forum already of an individual who remained in Thailand for the entire year, and was able to do their one-year report at their local immigration office (sadly, I did not write down which office - and I am not about to dig through this long thread to find it). 

But given that story, and the quote from the BoI reply that you provided, I am hopeful that we could see more and more local immigration offices be willing to process the 1-year reporting (although I concede it may take a while - and I won't hold my breath).  Fortunately in my case, as long as my health holds out, I am likely to travel out and back in Thailand a couple of times per year, which means I won't need to go to Bangkok.  Now that's my perspective, where instead I note that my Thai wife loves going to Bangkok to visit high school and university friends and to shop - and a happy wife is a happy life ... so one could say there is still an optimistic outlook for some of us when it comes to this annual reporting.

4 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

5 year driving license (after the initial 2 years) same as Non-O? ....

Or max 2 year license same as Elite Visa?

I just got a 6 years drivers licence (renew it the day after your birthday expiry) with my LTR.  Went to Chamchuri Square and got my Certificate of Residence (form is on the BOI site), 100 baht for my Medical Certificate at the local clinic and watched the DLT video online and answered the accompanying questions that produced a QR code so no need to do the test at the DLT office. 

Also I went to a regional DLT Office with no other Farangs present and was done and dusted in 20 minutes.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 9:33 AM, 1tent42 said:

Also, you lose flexibility on that $100K if you keep that in a bank for the health insurance requirement.  You can no longer withdraw it as you please for as long as you rely on it to remain eligible for the LTR visa.

You really don't lose the flexibility of the $100k in bank. If you need to withdraw it, you can buy the insurance at that time. No need to pay for the insurance unless you decide to withdraw it.

14 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Thankyou for your post.

I thought the BoI reply to you was in part encouraging where they stated:  " Please contact your local Immigration office if you wish to do a one-year report near your location, or visit the Immigration office at the Chamchuri Building in Bangkok. Each Immigration office may have different guidelines for the one-year report, so we recommend contacting them directly for specific information."

It has been reported on this forum already of an individual who remained in Thailand for the entire year, and was able to do their one-year report at their local immigration office (sadly, I did not write down which office - and I am not about to dig through this long thread to find it). 

But given that story, and the quote from the BoI reply that you provided, I am hopeful that we could see more and more local immigration offices be willing to process the 1-year reporting (although I concede it may take a while - and I won't hold my breath).  Fortunately in my case, as long as my health holds out, I am likely to travel out and back in Thailand a couple of times per year, which means I won't need to go to Bangkok.  Now that's my perspective, where instead I note that my Thai wife loves going to Bangkok to visit high school and university friends and to shop - and a happy wife is a happy life ... so one could say there is still an optimistic outlook for some of us when it comes to this annual reporting.

I am not aware that Chiang Mai Immigration may have refused to process the TM95 report.

Am I missing something?

4 hours ago, OneZero said:

I am not aware that Chiang Mai Immigration may have refused to process the TM95 report.

Am I missing something?

Star Visa just said I was their first TM95 customer, and possibly there could be a speedbump at Immigration -- they didn't know. Will know Monday.

5 hours ago, OneZero said:

Am I missing something?

Oh, did you have TM95 success at CM Imm? If so, how about a trip report  -- would like to know the ropes for next year, as I don't like using an agent.

Anybody reading this have TM95 success (or not) at their Imm office? Thanx.

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Oh, did you have TM95 success at CM Imm? If so, how about a trip report  -- would like to know the ropes for next year, as I don't like using an agent.

Anybody reading this have TM95 success (or not) at their Imm office? Thanx.

Just go to CM Immigration and ask.

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Alternatively, BoI could recognize that the plain meaning of "unlimited" does indeed include the number "$50K". Just a thought 😁

I think the problem for BOI is it that for them it is unfathomable that an unlimited insurance even exists. Me being German the main idea of a health insurance is that I am covered in the millions at least, but apparently in some/most countries the insurance is limited to a certain amount

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, mudcat said:

Note the URL - https://tm47.immigration.go.th/tm95/#/login

Of course it is down for system maintenance.

The ordinary tm.47 website for reporting is up and running:

https://tm47.immigration.go.th/tm47/#/login

image.png

Where did you get that TM95 weblink from?   Maybe just made it up?

I can replace the the tm95 portion of the weblink with most anything like tm0, tm999, etc., and still get above system maintenance message vs a no such weblink type message.

20 hours ago, stat said:

I think the problem for BOI is it that for them it is unfathomable that an unlimited insurance even exists. Me being German the main idea of a health insurance is that I am covered in the millions at least, but apparently in some/most countries the insurance is limited to a certain amount

Let's not be unfair to BOI. The people I have met there will understand "unlimited" just as we do. IMHO they want it spelled out because they have to escalate approval to some xenophobic dinosaurs in other departments, such as Immigration.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, JimGant said:

Hey, jerk weed, can you save me a trip and just report on how it went for you....? Or, is that too much to ask?

Jerk weed??  Thanks.  My TM95 is not due yet, but when the time approaches I will go to CM Immigration to ask If someone else hasn't already reported.

It would have been just as easy for you to go to CM Immigration & ask as it was for you to go to Star Visa. Do your homework if you are in such deadly fear.  I'm willing to bet that you were the first TM95 customer for Star Visa because CM Immigration is not giving folks a TM95 problem.

Thanks again for calling me Jerk weed.  What a personality.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Where did you get that TM95 weblink from?   Maybe just made it up?

I can replace the the tm95 portion of the weblink with most anything like tm0, tm999, etc., and still get above system maintenance message vs a no such weblink type message.

I am not sure and my browsing history does not real a source.  I was looking for tm61 not locked to Bangkok at the time.

9 minutes ago, mudcat said:

I am not sure and my browsing history does not real a source.  I was looking for tm61 not locked to Bangkok at the time.

OK...thanks.   What you were getting is just a catch error message if using entering the tm47.immigration.go.th web site when a page does not even exist on that website.

Like the several webpages  below I just made up....enter anything after the .th/ part and you end up with a System Maintenance message which really should be a message that no such webpage exists.  Just poor programming on immigration's part.

https://tm47.immigration.go.th/12345

https://tm47.immigration.go.th/helloThailand

https://tm47.immigration.go.th/abcdefg

image.png.6a4078105e7b6d0fcf331c841112a028.png

24 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Jerk weed??  Thanks.  My TM95 is not due yet, but when the time approaches I will go to CM Immigration to ask If someone else hasn't already reported.

My apologies. I interpreted that you had already done a TM95 at CM Imm -- and thus were surprised that, per Star Visa's dialogue with me, that there might be a problem.... Thus, I didn't take kindly to the, "go find out for yourself." Sorry.

Just now, JimGant said:

My apologies. I interpreted that you had already done a TM95 at CM Imm -- and thus were surprised that, per Star Visa's dialogue with me, that there might be a problem.... Thus, I didn't take kindly to the, "go find out for yourself." Sorry.

Appreciate the apology.  FYI, if not already aware, at the drive thru window you don't even have to get out of the car, & if you show them the TM95 they should be able to tell you if they will honor it in future when yours is due.  Thanks again for the apology

• Like 1