LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

10 minutes ago, mudcat said:

I have now deleted all of my personally identifiable documents with the exception of the bio-page of my passport which I first submitted.  

Yea....before I submitted my application and was still playing with drafts I could delete everything associated with any draft with the exception of the main passport page a person uploads as step 1.   After deleting all drafts that main passport page always popped up already loaded when starting a new draft.   I could delete my entire passport....just anything and everything except that main page.  

So, I guess you deleted everything you could because you asked BOI if you could safely do that since they have completed processing of your application.....you have the 10 year stamp in your passport?    Or, you didn't ask BOI and just doing the deletions?

15 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

As I’ve said previously in this thread, for us “Retirees” not earning $80k pa, the 1Million THB 20 year Thailand Elite visa might be a better option.

You are out of your mind.  That would be burning 1 MB for the privilege of reporting to Immigration every 90 days. Just get normal retirement extensions  based on Non O visa. Or if you are married and  have a wife that can take care of the formalities go for "Thai wife" extensions.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mudcat said:

Not sure what form to submit a one-year notification - maybe there is a one-year form somewhere - if anyone has found one or had one supplied by BOI please post it as a pdf for others.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I asked if they had a form yet for the 1 year notification when I did mine and they said it would be the same as the 90 day, which made no sense to me. 

It appears that the form is TM-95, but I don't see it on the Immigration or BoI websites - only at https://www.hlbthai.com/thailands-ltr-visa-process-explained/ , which I think may have gotten its info from the Royal Gazette. (Google locates the pertinent PDF on the Gazette website, but won't download it because - surprise - the site doesn't use correct protocols.)

Screenshot_20221103-151435.jpg

28 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

It appears that the form is TM-95, but I don't see it on the Immigration or BoI websites - only at https://www.hlbthai.com/thailands-ltr-visa-process-explained/ , which I think may have gotten its info from the Royal Gazette. (Google locates the pertinent PDF on the Gazette website, but won't download it because - surprise - the site doesn't use correct protocols.)

Screenshot_20221103-151435.jpg

Well you would think the LTR Unit would have handed one to each of us who obtained their Visa in Country and Immigration would hand one to an individual entering the country as they stamp them in.  Just a thought.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Update:   Known LTR Approvals as of 3 Nov 2022 based on posts in this thread I saw....James7 added to the list.  I may have missed some...please speak-up if you have been approved.

Poster & Date Approval Notice Rec'd

1.  ThailandRyan  28 Sep

2.  pepper402  29 Sep

3.  gajah  30 Sep

4.  mudcat  4 Oct

5.  Misty   4 Oct

6.  stuarty  4 Oct

7.  Boomer6969   5 Oct

8.   BKKNono  15 Sep

9.  Alotoftravel  4 Oct

10. aublumberg 12 Oct

11.  James7  4 Oct 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

I also visited Bangkok Bank, GSB bank, and Krungthai bank and I was told the same from each bank. Krungthai will only allow Thai to buy in secondary market.

Further I was advised it typically difficult to buy bonds at issue time as there is a mad scramble to buy and they are typically sold out in seconds.

So if I don't come up with another investment approach that is satisfactory to me then I may pass on the LTR. .. I don't want to buy more real estate than what I already have.

Who says that buying Thai government bonds in the secondary markets would not fulfill the LTR visa requirements?

1 minute ago, oldcpu said:

The conversations at these banks were in Thai language with my Thai wife translating. I asked for more detail as to why K Bank didn't allow foreigners to buy bonds on the secondary market and my wife said she was told by the bank that there was a limitation with their trading app. The bank requires secondary market bond purchasers to use the app " G wallet" and purportedly one can only register on that app with a Thai citizen ID card number.

It is the same when I try using the Kbank app to open up a wealth fund, because I am not Thai it tells me this.

Screenshot_20221103-191457.jpg

Just now, nigelforbes said:

I can confirm that it's almost impossible to buy bonds at new issue, I've tried on several occasions only to be told that the bank allocates them before issue and they are sold within seconds of being issued. I've also been told that it's not possible for foreigners to pre-register for new issues. I know brokers can facilitate purchase on the secondary market but historically their charges have made purchasing the bonds not viable.

Yes, I can confirm this as well, having also looked into in the past.  Primarly market bonds mostly go to Thai institutions.  However, apparently the bonds for LTR purposes are purchased in the secondary market as per my previous posts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, K2938 said:

Who says that buying Thai government bonds in the secondary markets would not fulfill the LTR visa requirements?

At one level it seems like it secondary market purchases aren't really new investment into Thailand. However, secondary market purchases are definitely acceptable by the BoI as per my friend's experience.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, K2938 said:

No one says that, as far I know. The problem is,  how can one buy such? The banks I went to will not assist in doing such.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Misty said:

Here's more detail from the guy who purchased the Thai gov't bond:

His KBANK Bangkok branch initially said the same thing as your Phuket branch - can't do it.  He called the BoI to ask what to do. The BoI contacted KBANK at a centralized level where bonds are traded, and sent him the contact details of a senior KBANK person (not at branch level) who was able to offer several different choices to purchase in the secondary market.  He went back to his bank branch, called the senior KBANK person and the two talked. After that, he was able to purchase a Thai government bond that met BoI requirements in the secondary market.

I hope this helps. If you want to do this, it sounds to me like the only way is to get the BoI directly involved.

Thanks.  I will contact Boi.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea....before I submitted my application and was still playing with drafts I could delete everything associated with any draft with the exception of the main passport page a person uploads as step 1.   After deleting all drafts that main passport page always popped up already loaded when starting a new draft.   I could delete my entire passport....just anything and everything except that main page.  

So, I guess you deleted everything you could because you asked BOI if you could safely do that since they have completed processing of your application.....you have the 10 year stamp in your passport?    Or, you didn't ask BOI and just doing the deletions?

Pib, I had the same problem.  I was approved late last month but just got a new Passport and asked BOI to revise my approval letter before going to the Los Angeles Consulate for the e-visa.  I was not able to delete/update the main passport page.  I've written to them twice and -- no response and no revision to my approval letter. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

You are out of your mind.  That would be burning 1 MB for the privilege of reporting to Immigration every 90 days. Just get normal retirement extensions  based on Non O visa. Or if you are married and  have a wife that can take care of the formalities go for "Thai wife" extensions.

I have a non-imm O (Retirement) & plan on keeping that going (I pay an agent 8,000 baht pa to do my extensions for me so it's zero hassle) but I do keep thinking to myself that maybe it's better just to add an extra 200K (on top of the 800K I keep in the bank) and buy the TE 20 years visa.  

The LTR is a no-brainer for Retirees who earn more than $80,000 pa but for those of us who don't, having to invest $250,000 (approx. 9.4Million baht) in Thailand means that money is not invested elsewhere & an additional 0.5% return on the money invested in your own country, pays for the 1Million baht visa over it's 20 year lifespan so you'd be "Out of your Mind" if you did go for the LTR. 

Lol, who in their right mind goes to immigration to do their 90 day report, if I can't do it online (Which I can & will do again next week) then I pay my agent 200baht to go do it for me. 

2 hours ago, ashkale said:

Got my stamps today, paid in cash, took an hour at 830am, appointment set online. Pre-filled documents available to print  on the system Tried opening a bank account before hand but no bank would entertain LTR visa apart from SCB. SCB opened the account right after I showed them the visa stamp. lots of holidays in November 2022 for anyone looking to get appointments.

Thank you for your update. I was under the impression that you can't pay cash and had to use qr code for digital payment. I'm in the same boat.. I dont have a Thai bank account yet. 

Can I ask which branch of SCB you opened the account after getting your LTR stamped? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ashkale said:

Got my stamps today, paid in cash, took an hour at 830am, appointment set online. Pre-filled documents available to print  on the system Tried opening a bank account before hand but no bank would entertain LTR visa apart from SCB. SCB opened the account right after I showed them the visa stamp. lots of holidays in November 2022 for anyone looking to get appointments.

Since you said you tried to open a bank account "before hand" I assume that to mean "before you actually got the LTR stamp into your passport?"  Am I understanding you right? 

If so I can understand why the banks would not open an acct as they are expecting to see a long term visa stamp "in your passport" vs some LTR approval notice.