Eleven Conservatives now bidding to be next UK prime minister

CharlieH

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The PM will be selected by a small group of people who are far from representative of the whole nation.

Yes the general election was representative of the nation. 

How did that work out for the left?

Or do you have a twitter poll to contradict me ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There are two candidates, neither is addressing the concerns of ordinary people.

'Ordinary people' is not just nebulous its rather meaningless. What is an 'ordinary person'?

The tories won massively at the last election giving an 80 seat majority  to the Conservative party as 'ordinary people' voted for Brexit and then voted tory again... those  same people have been constantly betrayed by the metropolitan woke elite! The 'ordinary  people' despise woke ideology  forced on them. But they are not 'ordinary  people' they are the working classes and middle classes neglected  both in the USA and UK by labour/ left/ liberal/ Democrats. Its irrelevant who leads the tories as they will win anyway against woke idiots with their narcissistic, selective, hyper compassion.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Rayner had consensual unprotected sex as a teenager, became impregnated and then claimed off the state for her child. This is a fact.

She then had multiple children from multiple fathers. This is a fact,  nothing wrong with it by the way. It is not controversial.

Thus, it is not a surprise that she opposes the low tax, small state, free market, trickle down economy of the conservatives that rewards people who work and people who take care of their own family responsibly at the expense of single mothers who prefer to stay at home playing the system.

She would prefer taxing the wealthy "scum"  to support the "poor" single mothers like she was. 

Truss has it right. Tax cuts for people who work. Tax cuts for corporations that will invest in the country and create jobs. Reduced benefits for people who abuse the benefits system.

Therefore I believe Truss is the way forward and wins the vote. Reward the people who work hard not the people who play the system due to multiple children from multiple absent fathers or other self inflicted wounds.

Low income tax. Benefits only for the genuine cases. Low corporation tax. Increased foreign investment. 

Go Truss!

And decriminalisation of cannabis to raise revenues for the state and combat police complacency which is a form of corruption

26 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You are hiding behind semantics.

Once again. 

The Candidates audience and hence the content of their proposals is the Conservative Constituency Membership.

Meanwhile, the rest of the nation continues to suffer.

Give the rightwing culture war nonsense a rest. 

Well of course , its the Conservative Party and Conservative party members elect who they want to be their  leader .

That is perfectly acceptable, nothing wrong with it and no reason for any complaints .

Members of a group electing a leader to lead the group 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well of course , its the Conservative Party and Conservative party members elect who they want to be their  leader .

That is perfectly acceptable, nothing wrong with it and no reason for any complaints .

Members of a group electing a leader to lead the group 

Yes correct.

But they aren’t selecting a candidate that has any proposals to help the rest of the nation deal with the problems they are struggling with.

Truss or Sunak, both completely out of touch, though Sunak might deliver less inflation.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes correct.

But they aren’t selecting a candidate that has any proposals to help the rest of the nation deal with the problems they are struggling with.

Truss or Sunak, both completely out of touch, though Sunak might deliver less inflation.

They have both given their policies on how to deal with the current situation , and what their intentions  are * see below* , you wont get either of them saying "We will give you free wifi, footballs, guitars, holidays" or whatever  , other parties will be doing that 

Policies set out by Truss could see less public spending, Institute for Fiscal Studies reports

The tax and spending policies outlined by Tory leadership contender Liz Truss could see higher borrowing or less public spending, the Institute for Fiscal Studies reports.

In its latest assessment, the thinktank said the foreign secretary was "proposing something quite different" from Rishi Sunak, with tax cuts worth more than £30bn per year.

It went on to say the pledges "will have implications beyond the tax system" and these "remain unclear".

The report read: "They will mean higher borrowing or less public spending, or some combination. Without spending reductions, the tax promises would likely lead to the current fiscal rules being broken, and Ms Truss has hinted that the fiscal rules may change. 

"In this context it is always important to remember that, whatever a chosen set of self-imposed fiscal rules might allow in the short term, in the end lower taxes do mean lower spending.  

"A fresh spending review has indeed been promised, but without clarity on whether current plans will be adjusted up or down – apart from on defence, where Ms Truss has promised a £23bn budget increase by the end of the decade."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

"A fresh spending review has indeed been promised, but without clarity on whether current plans will be adjusted up or down – apart from on defence, where Ms Truss has promised a £23bn budget increase by the end of the decade."

I would not  vote for Truss because of the above ,all that is the UK wanting to keep the place on the world's Top Table ,mainly at the UN Security Council ,they have two not one aircraft carriers that are not being used (is one still on sea trails ?),and then they still have not any aircraft on them.

As for tax cuts  Sunuk is right,no way,country cannot afford it ,that will just add even more to inflation ,leading  a certain interest rate rise ,so hurting  the economic growth ,and what will that do to the already battered Sterling, but for my any interest rate on my UK savings would not be a bad move. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, bannork said:

There were never these delays when we were in the EU, seamless travel and trade as part of the EU.

Now we're a third country, an outsider, the red tape, restrictions and prohibitive costs for access are hurting the UK in multiple ways.

Brexit- the economic elephant in the room that future leaders of the UK will have to face.

The post was deleted for being off topic .

As I respect the rules, I will not continue to discuss off topic posts 

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Yes the general election was representative of the nation. 

How did that work out for the left?

Or do you have a twitter poll to contradict me ?

In the UK it's often the plurality of citizens that decide who will be an MP, not the majority.

• Like 1

It has not been deleted. Carry on?

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Isn't it extraordinary that Brexit and its damage to the UK economy, another £10 billion, is not mentioned by either Truss or Sunak?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bannork said:

Isn't it extraordinary that Brexit and its damage to the UK economy, another £10 billion, is not mentioned by either Truss or Sunak?

Clever way of staying on topic and also getting Brexit mentioned   , but if the topic veers off onto Brexit , it will probably all get deleted for going off topic 

The post that he was referring to and replying to  did get deleted 

The delays at Dover. How have they come about when before they did not exist?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

lcimg-4665d8f2-7764-4bc1-92f4-fc7447dffebf.jpg?bypass-service-worker

Possibly U.Ks next Conservative party leader .

Here in 1994 when she was a Liberal democrat

And the answer to my question? 

It isn't the Labour / SNP / Liberal Democrat / Green / CON/ UKIP who are in the process of electing her. Just the ERG. Own your choice....

• Like 2