Medical — can’t appear for retirement extension application

Medical treatment for a recent injury requires me to remain home for the next six weeks. I have a form from the doctor/hospital that says as such. My retirement extension expires on 21 July (next Thursday). What procedure do I follow to apply for a temporary extension until such time as I can physically appear to make my retirement extension application?   

You an have somebody do the extension application for you with the proof your are unable to travel to do it yourself.

The main problem you may have is getting the letter and etc from your bank. Since it will not involve a withdrawal you may be able have somebody do it for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The main problem you may have is getting the letter and etc from your bank. Since it will not involve a withdrawal you may be able have somebody do it for you.

Thanks. Not sure I can make that work, in no small part due to the banking challege you noted. I thought I remember reading, but can't find, member posts about similar predicaments and obtaining some sort of extension/waiver until their health improved.

6 minutes ago, salween said:

Thanks. Not sure I can make that work, in no small part due to the banking challege you noted. I thought I remember reading, but can't find, member posts about similar predicaments and obtaining some sort of extension/waiver until their health improved.

If you are in hospital, the hospital can arrange a medical extension on your behalf. I do not think the hospital will apply for an extension on your behalf if you are simply convalescing at home.

Unfortunately, Immigration is not very sympathetic in cases like yours. Partly, that is because of the potential for abuse if they provide easy ways for people to get extensions without satisfying the normal requirements.

You may have to resort to using an agent, if there is no way you can have yourself transported to Immigration. Where are you located?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you are in hospital, the hospital can arrange a medical extension on your behalf. I do not think the hospital will apply for an extension on your behalf if you are simply convalescing at home.

Unfortunately, Immigration is not very sympathetic in cases like yours. Partly, that is because of the potential for abuse if they provide easy ways for people to get extensions without satisfying the normal requirements.

You may have to resort to using an agent, if there is no way you can have yourself transported to Immigration. Where are you located?

In communicating with Chang Watana a bit ago, this appears to be the policy. The offered ‘alternative” was for wife to go with identification, house registration & marriage certificate along with my paperwork, doctor’s letter and images from the hospital. They would then grant a 90-day extension. The catch, however, remains the bank. Mine, Krungsri, confirmed that they would not produce required documents to anyone but me — a solid no go.  So either I show up or, yes, hire an agent.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 90 day extension would be for medical treatment.

No need for the financial proof until near end of the 90 days when you apply for the one year exension.

Possible, but not how it was explained to us. Wanted all the same retirement bank info and stated, wrongly, that the bank would grant it to a third party. And since we did not take pictures during the hospital stay (had no idea such evidence may be of value) we probably can't get a medial extension anyway. 

1 hour ago, salween said:

Possible, but not how it was explained to us. Wanted all the same retirement bank info and stated, wrongly, that the bank would grant it to a third party. And since we did not take pictures during the hospital stay (had no idea such evidence may be of value) we probably can't get a medial extension anyway. 

Anyone can add money to your account 'on the day' to update the bank book. With luck Imm will accept stamped copies of the pages of your bank book. But you have the hospital Bills.

20 hours ago, salween said:

In communicating with Chang Watana a bit ago, this appears to be the policy. The offered ‘alternative” was for wife to go with identification, house registration & marriage certificate along with my paperwork, doctor’s letter and images from the hospital. They would then grant a 90-day extension. The catch, however, remains the bank. Mine, Krungsri, confirmed that they would not produce required documents to anyone but me — a solid no go.  So either I show up or, yes, hire an agent.

90-day medical extensions are governed by para 2.25 of Police Order 327/2557* which makes no mention of specific financial requirements needing bank endorsement.

* Downloadable at item 12 of the pinned "Laws, regulations, Police Orders, etc" thread

Edited by OJAS

20 hours ago, salween said:

Sounds like a load of BS to me - all the more so if they are plying you with duff advice about the bank being willing to grant info to a third party! That said, another option open to you might be to seek a 60-day extension for the purposes of visiting your wife (assuming that she is a Thai national) under para 2.24 of Police Order 327/2552 to which I referred in my previous comment. This does not necessitate any bank involvement, despite whatever some idiot at CW Immigration might try and tell you to the contrary!

Edited by OJAS

5 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

At CW Immigration I once saw a farang arrive by ambulance. He was wheeled in to immigration on a hospital gurney, attached to an IV drip.

At least this got him to the front of the queue!

Are you joking,  or are you serious?

7 hours ago, arithai12 said:

OP, don't you have a friend who can go to your Immigration and ask them the best course of action?

No, not really in may case, as it does necessitate someone with some Thai Immigration experience, and I don't have a lot of time.  Moreover, there's the ongoing fear that what they learn may not be what turns out to be practiced once a formal application is made for some sort of interim extension without me present.  

Based on what we've learned so far, the report about an applicant on a hospital gurney sounds plausible. And yes, they did offer "priority" service if I show up on wheels. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 5:17 PM, Lorry said:

On 7/13/2022 at 5:17 PM, Lorry said:
On 7/13/2022 at 11:43 AM, DaRoadrunner said:

At CW Immigration I once saw a farang arrive by ambulance. He was wheeled in to immigration on a hospital gurney, attached to an IV drip.

At least this got him to the front of the queue!

Serious... I actually witnessed this! Don't know why the hospital simply did not provide a letter for immigration. They actually wheeled the patient into Immigration on a gurney attached to a drip. He neither looked too well nor too happy. Amazing Thailand!

Result, did have to make the trip to CW.  We opted for the main entrance, Door 1--not Door 2, which is next to Immigration and quite busy. Not only did the security guard help my wife with the wheelchair, and wheeled me up to the door, but gave her one of the priority parking space roped off for VIPs. Krungsri bank took less than ten minutes to get me the necessary paperwork. Got priority service at Immigration and was out of there in about 30 minutes. 

• Like 2