Switzerland captain and daughter rescued after yacht breaks down near Naka Island off Phuket

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Phuket – A Switzerland captain and his daughter have been rescued after his yacht broke down near the Naka Island off Phuket during a period of strong wind and waves.

The Royal Thai Navy reported yesterday (July 11th) that they were notified that a yacht had broken down. The yacht was parked in the middle of the sea east of the Naka Yai Island off Thalang.

They followed the location which was given from the yacht. The Royal Thai Navy boat was initially unable to immediately reach the yacht due to strong wind and waves which could damage the yacht and Navy boats, but after several hours managed to reach the stranded vessel.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/07/12/switzerland-captain-and-daughter-rescued-after-yacht-breaks-down-near-naka-island-off-phuket/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-07-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

A Switzerland captain and his daughter

Mr. Oliver told the Navy he still has enough food and water to wait for repairs and a good radio signal

I've noticed the seas quite rough the last few days. 

Bummer old mate, captain Switzerland is stranded with only his daughter, it's not going to be a pleasant few days waiting for repairs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I guess he didn't know it was a sailing yacht.

Yeah my thoughts exactly - unless there was something wrong with the mainsail halyard? Crikey I could sail that thing up to / onto a 2-bob piece in a crowded mooring under sail when I was 12.

Back to sailing school for this fella me thinks ... arr arr mateys ????

Edited by Tropposurfer

6 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Sleek looking machine. Anybody know what it is?

Macgregor 65.

Not particularly well-built boats.  They were the poor man's sailing 'mega yacht' of the 1980s.

They were pretty quick though, long waterline length and narrow waterline beam.

Ditto on sailing to safety.  Only an idiot would go out in these conditions and not be able to actually sail to safety.

This past Saturday we were out racing when the huge storm came through Jomtien.  Dropped main and jib, was making 5+ knots under bare poles.  Luckily plenty of sea-room, but of course had the anchor ready if we got too close to shore.  Sailed right back into the dock with jib only when wind dropped below 20 knots.  Never even bothered with the engine.  Another yacht out racing said his anemometer was reading 38 knots steady!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Navy boat was initially unable to immediately reach the yacht due to strong wind and waves which could damage the yacht and Navy boats,

Sent the wrong guys????

spacer.png