Bar Girl Retirement Strategies

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What is a small business you could set up for a bar girl about to retire-assuming she's intelligent, hard working and reliable?

I know salons often fail for lack of customers,  a small laundry  business would  cost about 70k, a bar would be too expensive..any ideas or suggestions?

Boat Noodle Soup cart. Or Som Tam Cart. They will never go hungry......lol

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Since when has being married stopped a Thai guy playing away? 

If fact I've gone over to the Thai way of thinking that sex is just another form of entertainment. 

Yes, and look how well that's working out for society!

serious question. Asked because I respect your honest views.

if your wife had been more intimate with you and not cheated and left. would you be happier in a monogamous relationship with her or your "entertainment filled" Thai yeas?

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although I have known many bar girls who tried their hand at other businesses and they didn't tend to be successful  

What you most likely have witnessed is a bad attempt from sponsors to out sending money to a business that is nothing else than an empty facade. 

Back in the days, internet shop was one of those shops often started by an bg who used to business to meet new customers paid by either bf or a sponsor. 

There is clever girls who are good at what they do no matter how you turn it around they will land on their feet. Many other girls not so gifted, but all is not just black and white

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I can be a little more specific: don't open a restaurant next to 5 other restaurants. Or a massage shop. Or a salon. 

Why not? It's called a market place. In Banglampoo all the salons were on one street, in Hanoi, Lisbon and other cities traditionally shops selling similar goods grouped  together - like all the clothes boutique in Carnaby St, all the go go bars in Walking Street,  all the Chinese restaurants in China Town, all the pet shops in one street, all the IT shops in one area etc etc

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 11:37 AM, BritManToo said:

My first one (Thai bar girl) insisted on doing it 5x a day ......... almost killed me. I lasted 9 months then ran away, no forwarding address.

Lucky escape as a few years later she's piled on the pounds.

Can you imagine living with a fat chick that wanted to do it all the time?

So glad you added that last paragraph was about to ask for her number!  lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

What you most likely have witnessed is a bad attempt from sponsors to out sending money to a business that is nothing else than an empty facade. 

Back in the days, internet shop was one of those shops often started by an bg who used to business to meet new customers paid by either bf or a sponsor. 

There is clever girls who are good at what they do no matter how you turn it around they will land on their feet. Many other girls not so gifted, but all is not just black and white

You make a good point. That's why I stressed a hardworking reliable  girl. Around where I live in Pattaya there are several successful businesses run by ex bar girls or sex workers they include;  expat food  shops, a visa agency, haidressers, a posh coffee shop and a nail salon. Bar girls have many advantages including confidence,  language  skills, self promotion, attractiveness and are used to dealing with foreigners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Why not? It's called a market place. In Banglampoo all the salons were on one street, in Hanoi, Lisbon and other cities traditionally shops selling similar goods grouped  together - like all the clothes boutique in Carnaby St, all the go go bars in Walking Street,  all the Chinese restaurants in China Town, all the pet shops in one street, all the IT shops in one area etc etc

The odds of late entrants surviving in those conditions are small, unless they provide a unique product or service.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 7:55 PM, Danderman123 said:

The odds of late entrants surviving in those conditions are small, unless they provide a unique product or service.

True perhaps especially from a western  orientated business  studies perspective but a business starting up in a place where there are no similar business is also likely  to face difficulties. From my observations it's not a matter of USP but footfall. An area already established for offering  services of any given kind will get more potential  customers. There comes a point where businesses are competing with each other to the  detriment of one or they are creating a shopping/ service  area with a bit of a buzz. But this  is not really what I asked. I was hoping for positive  suggestions  regarding small businesses such as laundries, salons etc that might be suitable  for ex bar girls. Someone  once told me that street noodle stalls with a few seat can be profitable but I suspect  they are hard work.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 5:40 AM, Grecian said:

Yes, and look how well that's working out for society!

serious question. Asked because I respect your honest views.

if your wife had been more intimate with you and not cheated and left. would you be happier in a monogamous relationship with her or your "entertainment filled" Thai yeas?

The problem is never sex, it's disrespect. If people don't respect you, their love is worthless.

If people respect your money but not you, that's still not great, but still a giant leg up from someone who doesn't respect you at all -which would be a distinct thread running through a lot/most of the personal stories of most guys here.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

The problem is never sex, it's disrespect. If people don't respect you, their love is worthless.

If people respect your money but not you, that's still not great, but still a giant leg up from someone who doesn't respect you at all -which would be a distinct thread running through a lot/most of the personal stories of most guys here.

Or selfish people who must have their way

On 7/24/2022 at 3:33 PM, Danderman123 said:

I'm not referring to TF ladies, but rather ladies who never actually meet customers, all their interaction is virtual. 

How would anyone here know how much money they make? 

I don't believe a significant number of them exist outside the west.

So their income is irrelevant.

One very common retirement strategy for all Thai ladies is to have kids who will support her when they are adults. In most cases, the female children will be the prime support, as males are not reliable. 

I have noticed when ladyboys come out of the closet, the mothers are supportive, the fathers not so much. I am wondering if the mothers are thinking that a ladyboy will support her down the road, whereas a son may not. 

For some bargirls, family support can be as big a drag on earnings as a Thai boyfriend. I know ladies who send 50K baht a month back home. 

Edited by Danderman123

36 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I'm in Udon Thani at the moment. The number of elderly Farangs accompanied by relatively younger Thai ladies here is fairly amazing. 

I guess that particular bargirl retirement strategy seems to be working, for some. 

It has been like that for many years. Wait until you see the 70 year old fathers pushing the pram with their infant child in it at Central Festival.  There are many villages that have many foreigners living up in the Udon Thani Province.

Here is an old article but it will give you an outline.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/25/world/asia/25iht-thai.html

if you cant get through the paywall here is another

https://www.yomrasuurunleri.com/exactly-about-a-thai-region-where-husbands-are-12/

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I'm in Udon Thani at the moment. The number of elderly Farangs accompanied by relatively younger Thai ladies here is fairly amazing. 

I guess that particular bargirl retirement strategy seems to be working, for some. 

I was in Udon Thani too and was supposed to leave Saturday at 13.20 with Thaivietair.
Flight delayed to 2.20.

Later, sitting in aircraft for 1 hour, captain said that there were electric problems.
Back to base from runway.
People were getting nervous.

A few decided to take bus to Khon Kaen and take a 20.45 flight to BKK.

We got one night at Central (very nice) with a lovely breakfast and left Udon on Sunday at 11.45.

Central was quite empty at 7pm, when we went for a walk.

16 hours ago, RafPinto said:

I was in Udon Thani too and was supposed to leave Saturday at 13.20 with Thaivietair.
Flight delayed to 2.20.

Later, sitting in aircraft for 1 hour, captain said that there were electric problems.
Back to base from runway.
People were getting nervous.

A few decided to take bus to Khon Kaen and take a 20.45 flight to BKK.

We got one night at Central (very nice) with a lovely breakfast and left Udon on Sunday at 11.45.

Central was quite empty at 7pm, when we went for a walk.

Yeah, my flight out was delayed by 90 minutes, and I almost missed my connection to Singapore.

And there were loads of elderly Farangs with young Thai wives at the airport.

If you are familiar with the 3 day rule, you probably can’t imagine having a Thai lady for years on end.

• 1 year later...
On 7/27/2022 at 11:07 PM, BritManToo said:

I don't believe a significant number of them exist outside the west.

So their income is irrelevant.

I know a couple of young ladies who live off Facebook. They have 5,000 Friends, and after posting sexy pictures, they hit up their Farang friends for cash, with a sad story.

• Confused 1

On 7/13/2022 at 3:37 PM, Danderman123 said:

Most bargirls have a "sell by" date around age 40, and most are aware of imminent forced retirement. There are a few who can continue to work bar into their 40s, but they are exceptional. So, bargirls start to think about retirement at some point in their 30s. Among the chief strategies :

Marry a Farang. This is Plan A for many, but it has drawbacks. For one thing, its not easy to live with someone you don't love, for a long time. I have run into former bargirls who married for money, and its not pretty, especially when assets have already been transferred to them. Some deride their spouses, while others can maintain a facade of respect, especially if there are more assets to be transferred to them. Another problem is how to continue to see their Thai boyfriend. That can often mean letting the Farang husband go to bars, while they visit their " brother". 

Another common plan is to open a shop or restaurant back home. These have a high failure rate, and the bargirl returns to the bar after a few months. Strangely, working in a bar is poor preparation for running a business. 

Working massage for another 10 years is common. They can tell their Thai husband that they only massage, no boom-boom. 

Not stopping work is another strategy.  This often has tragic results, as the bargirl has ever fewer customers. At some point, their Thai boyfriend will leave, as the money runs out, and he is forced to find a better cash cow. 

Another strategy: get a regular day job. Since factories don't hire older ladies, this is not common. Or the lady may get a low paying job at a shop, and go out to Beach Road after work, to get one customer before she goes home. 

Really uncommon: a bargirl who saved for retirement. 

I'm constantly amazed by how much you "know" about all things Thai.

Apparently you personally know most of the millions of Thai prostitutes ( you didn't forget about the ones that work in the Thai scene and never go near farangs, did you? ) to know what they get up to in their daily lives and what they do after giving it up.

I knew two that gave it up. One became a maid, but that was worse than being a prostitute so she went back to work service in the same bar she used to dance in. The other went to university and eventually found a rich guy to marry.

My wife had land, a rental house, and a family house in the village to go back to.

• Thumbs Up 1