No Thai Customs charges ever if package is valued at less than 1500 THB.?

JimmyJ

17 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

If it is an official figure, if they look at a receipt inside the package,  that could include tax and shipping, perhaps service/handling charge.

Is the 1500 THB figure supposed to be the total for the item alone?

It is an official figure...

https://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160922_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_02

Thai Customs estimate of the value is based on CIF, cost insurance and freight charges. 

The purchase price shown on a receipt is not necessarily the value it would not normally include Thai import duty (if any) or Thai VAT.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, gearbox said:

Amazon already calculates the duty and taxes in the purchase price.

Amazon adds their estimated duty into the bill as a separate item.

They state they will refund any of that which Thailand does not charge.

Have you ever had hassles getting the uncharged part of their estimate refunded to you?

How accurate is their estimate?

Have you noticed if Thailand has not charged duty if the total bill has been under 1500 THB?

Edited by JimmyJ

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The technical term is "luck of the draw".

In very general terms as with all things in this country, it can depend on what happens on the day.

Yes 1500 includes insurance and shipping costs.

Doesnt matter what the paperwork on the parcel says, its how they value it a the paperwork is invariably wrong to avoid such charges.

You can dispyte and prove otherwise AFTER.

That's exactly what it is, luck of the draw, years ago I regularly imported the same goods from China about once a month, each month the import duty was different, sometimes nothing sometimes nearly the same value as the goods, it got to the point that I stopped that project as it was impossible to calculate any profit that could be made.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tedly said:

I think it depends on the customs officer or something, in my experiences 100 USD seemed to be when I had to pay more "duty" most times. Some things I order get dropped off by the mail man and sometimes he brings a paper and I have to go to the post office and pay more. I asked at the post office and they said loosely translated that it depends on the mood of customs in Bangkok. 

It depends on whether your item is selected for examination, not the CO's mood, they cannot physically check every delivery into the country.  As the venerable CharlieH wrote, "it's the luck of the draw".

7 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

So basically they make it up depending upon how they feel at the time. Would that be a reasonable assessment?

No, it would not.

Import duty applied to parcels from overseas is fully documented by Customs or the courier as the duty amount, VAT and any other permitted disbursements, and can be queried and re-assessed by Customs by request.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, portlandtree said:

everything i order thru amazon i get no extra charges but the shipping is around $10 usd.

You get no extra charges?

Meaning Thai Customs does not charge you duty and Amazon refunds their estimated duty charge which was included in their bill?

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I find DSL almost always gets flagged, try to avoid them.

DHL and other courier companies operate as official agents for Thai Customs and have no choice but to collect import duty (if applicable) and VAT on behalf of Customs, it is not a case of their deliveries in particular getting flagged.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, plus7 said:

I had negative experience with DHL.

Besides custom fees, it charges its "service fee"  if some extra if you ordered something eatable.

The small extra disbursement fee is a charge they are permitted to make to compensate them for officially collecting the duty and VAT for Customs.

6 hours ago, portlandtree said:

everything i order thru amazon i get no extra charges but the shipping is around $10 usd.

I would love to order everything from Amazon, and not have to deal with all the potential Lazada/Shopee/Ali hassles I read about.

In addition:

1) Amazon cs is excellent;

2) Minimally I can get 5% off but usually or often more than that;

3) Unlike all the phony 3rd party vendors I read about on Lazada et al, the Amazon 3rd parties will try to do anything to please the customer (and hence not get a bad review);

4) Lots of user reviews of the items for sale.

However:

a) Many things I want can't be shipped to Thailand (or possibly in some cases the 3rd party sellers don't want to), e.g. Vitamins., Soap.

But I will try using iHerb for Vitamins which (almost?) everyone seems to be happy with;

b) Shipping fees:

They do have a flat rate $9.95 USD to Thailand,

and currently about 4 mostly very small lightweight items which I want to order can all be combined under that single $9.95 charge for all.

I don't know at what point they cut off a combination of items under that single charge.

But for the items which they do allow to be shipped to Thailand, many of them are shipped from the 3rd party sellers, so do not come under the flat rate $9.95, and the shipping fees can double or more  the price of items.

Edited by JimmyJ

33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it would not.

Import duty applied to parcels from overseas is fully documented by Customs or the courier as the duty amount, VAT and any other permitted disbursements, and can be queried and re-assessed by Customs by request.

You dont normally pay duty on items over 6 months and what I sent was more like 4 years which would have been obvious to anyone

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:
37 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it would not.

Expand  

You dont normally pay duty on items over 6 months

There is no specified consideration for the age of imported items.

https://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160922_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_02

Would be interested in everbody's experiences in ordering from Amazon and receiving the goods in Thailand.

Was tempted to start a new thread with the above sentence as the header, but since 3 posters here have already mentioned Amazon, will try to include Amazon comments/info in  this thread.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

Amazon adds their estimated duty into the bill as a separate item.

They state they will refund any of that which Thailand does not charge.

Have you ever had hassles getting the uncharged part of their estimate refunded to you?

How accurate is their estimate?

Have you noticed if Thailand has not charged duty if the total bill has been under 1500 THB?

I would say fairly accurate, as far as I remember I had some sort of refund only once.

However duty + vat + shipping in many cases adds a lot, if possible it is usually much better to buy from Amazon overseas/home country and bring it in Thailand as a baggage. Overseas you may be able even to get free shipping with Prime trials.

Unfortunately no amazon.co.th any time soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

DHL and other courier companies operate as official agents for Thai Customs and have no choice but to collect import duty (if applicable) and VAT on behalf of Customs, it is not a case of their deliveries in particular getting flagged.  

DHL will almost always be flagged.

Wise to use regular post or FedEx.

Theres many threads on this.  Pretending to know what you are talking about is hilarious. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Here's a lengthy thread on more complaints.

"DHL / Customs scam ?"

Knock yourself out disagreeing with the others who usually have a bad experience with DHL. 

18 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
Expand  

That is what I implied, it depends how they feel on the day

Not exactly, you implied that because the clothes were used they should not have had duty levied on them.   That is incorrect, duty applies to new or used items, the regulations make no distinction.

15 hours ago, MrJ2U said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

DHL will almost always be flagged ... Pretending to know what you are talking about is hilarious. 

Knowing what I am talking about is hilarious also.  DHL deliveries are not "flagged", DHL (and other couriers) have a contract to collect duty and VAT on behalf of the Customs Department and will always apply it if the item is assessible.    

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Knowing what I am talking about is hilarious also.  DHL deliveries are not "flagged", DHL (and other couriers) have a contract to collect duty and VAT on behalf of the Customs Department and will always apply it if the item is assessible.    

I don't think you understand.

Don't follow thousands of complaints and advice.

Use them, I could care less if you get fleeced. 

15 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Knock yourself out disagreeing with the others who usually have a bad experience with DHL. 

What I wrote regarding DHL and some other couriers, collecting duty and VAT on behalf of the Customs Department is correct, that is why so many think that DHL gives them a hard time, they are paid to do that and have no option but to apply duty and tax.    Anyone who disputes those charges can ask Customs for a re-assessment.

That others disagree with my pointing out what is a fact doesn't make my comment wrong.

6 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:
12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

I don't think you understand.

Don't follow thousands of complaints and advice.

Use them, I could care less if you get fleeced. 

I understand, it's you who doesn't.

"Thousands" (what a joke) of Thaivisa complaints and advice doesn't make the fact that DHL is authorised to collect duty and VAT false.

I don't use DHL, didn't say that I did and I'm not getting fleeced.  

18 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Would be interested in everbody's experiences in ordering from Amazon and receiving the goods in Thailand.

Was tempted to start a new thread with the above sentence as the header, but since 3 posters here have already mentioned Amazon, will try to include Amazon comments/info in  this thread.

It depends what you want to order. Nice thing is the vat+duty calculations so you know what exactly you are paying.

I was shopping there for carbon kayak paddles, good choices and prices until I saw the shipping charges..

On the other end small items like DRAM sticks won't incur prohibitive shipping charges. E.g I ordered from there 2 pairs of swimming goggles, great quality and price, all in all the total price was very competitive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

DHL gives them a hard time

Plenty of other companies that are cheaper and less likely to have your shipments opened or unfairly taxed.

Personally I choose not to use them along with many others.

What service you choose is up to you. 

18 hours ago, gearbox said:

I would say fairly accurate, as far as I remember I had some sort of refund only once.

However duty + vat + shipping in many cases adds a lot, if possible it is usually much better to buy from Amazon overseas/home country and bring it in Thailand as a baggage. Overseas you may be able even to get free shipping with Prime trials.

Unfortunately no amazon.co.th any time soon.

I usually get a small refund which is nice when using Amazon.

• Like 1