Thai abortions: stigma, ignorance, and arbitrary rules cause policy to fall short in practice

webfact

image.jpeg

By Mailee Osten-Tan

When two blue lines appeared on a pregnancy test in April 2021, K* knew that she and her partner were not ready for a baby and that she was entitled to a choice.

But in a consultation room at Sakon Nakhon Hospital, the university student recalls how a nurse pushed the ultrasound probe so hard into her abdomen it hurt. She says the doctor berated her decision to abort, complaining that women like her faced a lack of consequences for their actions, before threatening to tell her professors. His words reduced her to tears. “Then, on my way out, the nurse turned to me and said, ‘You’re just afraid of getting fat and ruining your figure, aren’t you?’” says K. “Even when I think about it now, my voice starts to shake.”

Abortion within 12 weeks of gestation might have been legalised with little fanfare in late-January 2021, but terminating a pregnancy in this Buddhist-majority country is still taboo. Many believe in karma and that those who choose to undergo abortions – including those who help them – are committing an immoral sin. 

But for pro-choice activists like Supecha Baotip, the Thai medical community’s resistance is a symptom of a much larger problem. “Imagine that anti-abortion attitudes are like a tent,” she says, “There are many poles that hold up a tent, but the tallest pole is the government in the middle. If you take out the middle pole, the others will lose stability too. By not vocally standing by the abortion law, the government continues to imply that abortion is not right.”

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/41708/thai-abortions-stigma-ignorance-and-arbitrary-rules-cause-policy-to-fall-short-in-practice/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-07-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Although I respect their believe for not killing as a part of Karma, there should always be other things be considered too. The not killing is out of porpotion look at the huge amount of monkeys, streetdogs/cats, that are also no can be killed because of the karma...But is karma meant to babies as being not wanted and that influence your whole live, because you are born and they put on a roadside somewhere in the hope some else will take care of you, or you stay with your parent(s) and got beaten up many times because you are not wanted. Is that good for your Karma? same in fact for the streetdogs/cats and monkeys, There is no food so they starve from hunger and deseases or they attack other people because they are desperate for food..... I think it is more humane and better for your karma to be sure that all creatures should have a decent life...Suffering is not a good life even you respect it, but better is to put an end to or prevent unnecessary suffering.

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Although I respect their believe for not killing as a part of Karma, there should always be other things be considered too. The not killing is out of porpotion look at the huge amount of monkeys, streetdogs/cats, that are also no can be killed because of the karma...But is karma meant to babies as being not wanted and that influence your whole live, because you are born and they put on a roadside somewhere in the hope some else will take care of you, or you stay with your parent(s) and got beaten up many times because you are not wanted. Is that good for your Karma? same in fact for the streetdogs/cats and monkeys, There is no food so they starve from hunger and deseases or they attack other people because they are desperate for food..... I think it is more humane and better for your karma to be sure that all creatures should have a decent life...Suffering is not a good life even you respect it, but better is to put an end to or prevent unnecessary suffering.

If a parent decides they no longer want a 5 or 10 year old child. Should they also be permitted to kill the child, to save the child from a bad life?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

This is Thailand and I certainly respect the Thai citizens right to make and support their right to support their own laws. That said, as an American, I have argued this same issue in the country as a citizen. What follows is my statement I have made on public social media in the US. As I am a resident in Thailand with a Thai wife and Thai Stepdaughter, I believe this statement is applicable here in Thailand. These laws are applicable only on the poor.

Bottom line for me? Should I and my significant other be faced with this decision, I would not recognize any law, regulation, disapproval by the right wing demanding that we carry to term, deliver, care for and bear the emotional/financial burden of raising a genetically damaged being. or as a result of rape or threat to the female's health.. Fortunately, I would have the financial resources to seek medical care in an enlightened country. Foolish to follow an absolute stance, based on personal religious beliefs (and trying to force those beliefs on others), and yet refuse to have social systems in place to care (emotionally and financially) for those who choose not to abort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Farang said:

If a parent decides they no longer want a 5 or 10 year old child. Should they also be permitted to kill the child, to save the child from a bad life?

No difference between a fetus and a being capable of living as an independent being?

• Thanks 1

Teenage pregnancy has declined in Thailand. Partially through awareness via people promoting condoms and partially because women now have some autonomy over their bodies. The stigma comes from religious people who will never suffer the shame pregnant teenagers feel or may have suffered shame as kids but now feel self-righteous.

2 hours ago, Wrwest said:

No difference between a fetus and a being capable of living as an independent being?

Not trying to be impolite Wrwest--but without some Punctuation, just not quite clear on your post.

Are you saying no difference between a few weeks old fetus and a normal functioning independent  person ?

for the religious organizations that tell us there isn't

I have yet to see them hold a Buddhist taboon for a miscarriage  -- or yet to see a Catholic funeral for one either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

Not trying to be impolite Wrwest--but without some Punctuation, just not quite clear on your post.

Are you saying no difference between a few weeks old fetus and a normal functioning independent  person ?

I have yet to see them hold a Buddhist taboon for a miscarriage  -- or yet to see a Catholic funeral for one either.

For a few weeks fetus there will never be a  Catholic funeral ceremony.. As you first have to baptished before they will do a funeral..... 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

For a few weeks fetus there will never be a  Catholic funeral ceremony.. As you first have to baptished before they will do a funeral..... 

Yes, silly.  The fetus will be getting tortured for eternity in hell because it was not baptised.

Got to love these religions.

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And yet they were, before law change, and are readily available to anyone who wants one.  I know a few gals that had them, and there's no great stigma about it ... with them anyway. 

A lot depends on what area you live, who the doctors are etc etc

Some places you can get an abortion without any issues, others you get the treatment this young lady had.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

others you get the treatment this young lady had.

I don't put much stock in these news-blips/op-eds.  Actually starting to ignore most of them.  One the other day was stating petrol here cost 52 baht ... ????

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

So they don't believe a baby that is not baptised will not go to heaven? 

if you don't know anything about religion surf on the internet and find out or go tothe Catholic Church and ask a priest, instead posting this kind of nonsense

On 7/15/2022 at 7:10 AM, ikke1959 said:

if you don't know anything about religion surf on the internet and find out or go tothe Catholic Church and ask a priest, instead posting this kind of nonsense

yes the wise church elders changed the rules so the babies can go to heaven. Same as they changed the rules that the earth is no longer flat....    we must keep up with the (man-made) rulebook.....

On 7/14/2022 at 8:11 PM, sanuk711 said:

No additional punctuation was needed in the one sentence question I asked.